Who is Jesus?

If someone asked you “Who is Jesus?”, how would you answer?

I know who Jesus is, but I have a lot of trouble putting the thoughts together to explain them outloud.

Assume that the person asking you this sincerely wants to know, and is not just baiting you. I would think they would require a little more than “He is my Savior” or “He is the Son of God”.

Malia

Is it that nobody can answer this or that my question is not good?

Malia (patiently waiting:) )

[quote=Feanaro’s Wife]Is it that nobody can answer this or that my question is not good?

Malia (patiently waiting:) )
[/quote]

How long of an answer do you want? 5 words? 50 words? 500 words? 50,000 words?

He is the Word made Flesh.

He is the Light of the World.

The Alpha and the Omega.

He is my Brother.

Your question is not easy to answer because it depends on who is asking the question.

Is it a non-Catholic Christian who doesn’t understand or believe that Catholics are Christian?

Is it someone who believes in God and that Jesus is the Messiah but just doensn’t “do” organized reiligion?

Is it someone who believes in God but not that Jesus is the Messiah?

Do they even believe in God at all?

After that, factor in age, education etc…

My answer is to stay close to the Lord and let the Holy Spirit lead the way.

Maria

Jesus Christ is the Lord of everything. He is the son of God, the second person in the Holy Trinity. He always was and always will be. He is the full understanding that God the Father has of himself, therefore he is the Word which proceeds from the Father who is all understanding and thus has perfect understanding of Himself. The Word which proceeds from the Father, who has perfect understanding of himself, thus has perfect understanding of Understander. Therefore out of this perfect undersatanding of infinite being comes love for the Understander. The Understander,perfectly understanding the infinite love of the Word, fully reciprocates this Love. Thus the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and Son as the Very Love of God.

In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God; all things were made through him, and without him was not anything made that was made. In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
John 1:1-5

And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, full of grace and truth; we have beheld his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father.
John 1:14

Therefore Jesus Christ is the Word Incarnate. He became flesh. He went to the Holy area around Moriah and became the sacrifice that Abraham promised Issac “God will provide.” Gen 22:8. He is the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. He was crucified for our sins, He died, He rose to life again
on the third day and conqured death. He is the Way the Truth and the Life! No one comes to the Father but through him.

"Behold I am coming soon, bringing my recompense, to repay everyone for what he has done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end."
Rev 22:12

He is the King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Holy God of all creation.

[quote=MariaG]Your question is not easy to answer because it depends on who is asking the question.

Is it a non-Catholic Christian who doesn’t understand or believe that Catholics are Christian?

Is it someone who believes in God and that Jesus is the Messiah but just doensn’t “do” organized reiligion?

Is it someone who believes in God but not that Jesus is the Messiah?

Do they even believe in God at all?

After that, factor in age, education etc…

My answer is to stay close to the Lord and let the Holy Spirit lead the way.

Maria
[/quote]

Specifically I was thinking of a friend I have who is a practicing Buddhist.

Ww were discussing differences between our faiths and she flat out asked “who is Jesus?”. I found myself struggling to define Him.

I just wonder if others have the same problem when it comes to “simple” questions. I read lots of different books etc on Catholicism and Christianity (mostly apologetics type material) and feel semi-comfortable with more complex questions…but this simple one had me tongue tied, lol.

Malia

Jesus is God made flesh, so as to show us His most glorious mercy and love. He died, that we may live. :slight_smile:

JESUS IS LOVE PERSONIFIED !

[quote=Feanaro’s Wife]Specifically I was thinking of a friend I have who is a practicing Buddhist.

Ww were discussing differences between our faiths and she flat out asked “who is Jesus?”. I found myself struggling to define Him.

I just wonder if others have the same problem when it comes to “simple” questions. I read lots of different books etc on Catholicism and Christianity (mostly apologetics type material) and feel semi-comfortable with more complex questions…but this simple one had me tongue tied, lol.

Malia
[/quote]

Ahhh. That makes it much more interesting…

From a Buddhist, I can understand that the “who” part of this is really a big issue. From my limited understandings, Buddhist usually have a very different concept of self than westerners, and probably any of the standard Christian answers may not suffice to answer her in a meaningful way.

This might be an interesting question for our new (and seemingly excellent) bishop. We finally got a replacement for Olmstead, bishop Michael Jackel. (JAY-kel) He was eloquent, on fire with the spirit, very funny, and captivating for the kids when he spoke at our daughter’s confirmation. Anyway, he was a Buddhist for two years from the time he left home until the time he, “came to my senses and came back, in a big way!” He doesn’t know me from Adam, but if I get a chance I’ll forward your question his way.

You might be interested in listening to some of the Alan Watts audio files I have; Watts (1915-1973) was once and Anglican priest, then a Buddhist, then neither, but one of his specialties was interpreting eastern thought and attitudes about life and religion for westerners. This could give you a much better basis for understanding her question.

Meanwhile, I might be tempted to tell her that Jesus is part of the Catholic mythology (don’t get upset; mythology doesn’t mean it is false) who we believe was the son of God Himself and came to teach us and suffer for our sins. I find that practically everything that I hear taught by Buddhas has some counterpart in Christianity, especially when taking both kataphatic and apophatic traditions into account. Jesus, in fact, could have been the ultimate Buddha IMO from the standpoint of the spiritual enlightenment for which Buddhas strive. In Christianity, there are many schools but only one Teacher.

Others who know more about Buddhism can help me here. Meanwhile I have posted a few Watts audio files about Buddhism and Jesus, for another purpose. Be aware if you listen to these; sometimes Watts gets critical of organized religion in general, especially western religions, but I still think it could help you understand where your friend is coming from, or at least the heritage of her religion.

Alan

Specifically I was thinking of a friend I have who is a practicing Buddhist.

[size=3]Ww were discussing differences between our faiths and she flat out asked “who is Jesus?”. I found myself struggling to define Him.

[/size]

That does make a difference. My understanding of Buddhism is exactly nothing except looking at the fat little buddhas. Hopefully Alan’s bishop will come through or other converts from that arena for some specific things that can help your friend understand who Jesus is.

I do find it harder to explain who Jesus is to those who do not have a more Christian base. I just do not run into many, heck any. Most people I witness to may not be Christian, but they have been exposed to it, and have a belief in one God.

And I do think it is important to understand where a person is, and what they believe in order to explain who Jesus is. Unfortunately, I know nothing about where your friend is:o

I understand what you mean about getting tongue tied about explaining who Jesus is. But I would say that it is not a simple question, it is the most complex one!

I personally cannot give you a “stock” answer. I firmly believe that if we keep our own relationship with Christ fresh, listen to the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit will give us the words to plant seeds of understanding. You may never see the fruit, but you obviously have already planted seeds in this case. Your friend is asking “Who is Jesus?”.

One thing that does come to mind is to refine her question. For example: Do you mean the historical Jesus? Biblical Jesus? Personal Savoir Jesus? Eucharist Jesus? Who is Jesus to me?Your friend may have a more specific question in mind but has not defined it into words. By asking more questions back to try to pinpoint what the real question is, you can help to answer the question better.

I hope that helps a little, at least to know you are not the only one out there who gets tongue tied over the “simple” questions:p

Maria

[quote=Feanaro’s Wife]If someone asked you “Who is Jesus?”, how would you answer?
[/quote]

Who is Jesus?

He is the One who bothers me!!!

From now on we can not sin. From now on we can not follow our passions. From now on we can not love the world. From now on we can not vengeance. From now on we must be saints, blessed, martyrs, confessors, virgins, perfects as the Father is.

He is the Life we do not live. He is the Truth we do not believe. He is the Path we do not follow.

He is the One we crucified with scorn and hatred. He is still the Merciful. He is the vanquisher of death… and life…

Thank you everyone… you have been a big help. This is the first time I have come across someone who personally does not believe in a god at all, nevermind our God. (Atheists excepted).

Most of the people I talk to have a basic belief in God and just need more information on Christanity and Catholicism. Some people I know have absolutely no interest in religion at all, so I plant seeds when and how I can without being directly offensive, lol.

My Buddhist friend presents me with a unique experience to not only learn more about what she believes and why, but what* **I ***believe and why!

I look forward to hearing more of your replies and whatever info Alan has for me!

Malia

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.