Who is Lilith?

If you want truth come to the Catholic Church. The occult means lies, deceit and danger.

There are names in the Bible that point toward Greek mythology (and Norse). Like Kore, Apollo, Priscilla… Here’s another term used for Lilith:

Douay-Rheims Bible + Latin Vulgate

Isaias (Isaiah) 34:14 - And demons and monsters shall meet, and the hairy ones shall cry out one to another, there hath the lamia lain down, and found rest for herself.

The Google e-book below has both Lamia and Lilith. Link was too long but the detail in his definnitions is interesting.

Faiths of Man: A Cyclopædia of Religions, Volume 2
By James George Roche Forlong

Lilith is NOT mentioned in the Bible.

I did a quick check and it looks like Lilith is described in the Talmud and also, in the Book of Isaiah.

This topic has been dealt with in the Ask the Apologist section of the forum:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=28479

The Talmud is not a part of the Bible, it’s a commentary by Jewish rabbis on the Bible. And the Isaiah thing has already been dealt with (Lilith is another word for screech owl, that’s what Isaiah means in 34:14).

There are umpteen different versions of the Bible. Which versions have you searched?

I found reference to lilit in the Complete Jewish Bible on the Bible Gateway website. Isaiah 34:14 has the reference. This character appears as “lamia”, “the night monster”, or “screech owl” depending on which Bible you are reading. Here is a list of Bible versions in which the character is cited:

night-owl (Young, 1898)
night-spectre (Rotherham, Emphasized Bible, 1902)
night monster (ASV, 1901; JPS 1917, Good News Translation, 1992; NASB, 1995)
vampires (Moffatt Translation, 1922)
night hag (RSV, 1947)
Lilith (Jerusalem Bible, 1966)
lilith (New American Bible, 1970)
Lilith (NRSV, 1989)
Lilith (The Message (Bible), Peterson, 1993)
night creature (NIV, 1978; NKJV, 1982; NLT, 1996, TNIV)
nightjar (New World Translation, 1984)
night bird (English Standard Version, 2001

Somehow I don’t think that’s what they believed. Lilith another name for “screech owl”. It’s quite probably and makes more sense for that to be the other way around.

That’s quite a baseless assertion.

The issue is that לִּילִית is a hapax legomenon in the Biblical corpus – the word only appears once in the Hebrew Bible, at Isaiah 34:14. There are various theories as to what it means, which you can look up in any good scholarly commentary, but there is no consensus on the meaning, and we have no way to establish its meaning definitively.

That’s why good modern scholarly translations, including the major recent Catholic translations (NRSV, NJB, NABRE), the major Jewish translation (NJPS (Tanakh)), and a recent ecumenical translation (CEB) leave the term untranslated as “Lilith.”

If you believe that context will help you read the passage, you may wish to consider some the other demon-like creature mentioned in Isaiah 34:14: שָׂעִיר (which is sometimes translated as demon, sometimes as satyr, sometimes as goat-demon).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilith#Dead_Sea_Scrolls

Been to the Catholic church. Been to Occultism. Been to modern medicine and all else of the Devil. Remember when you see Satan, run to him, embrace him. And learn the truth.

You see how many times the Bible is re-written according to current knowledge and the powers that be.

Like I’m said Babylonian Talmud. Everyone isn’t a Biblical scholar. The Rabbis would be the ones to ask.

The Dead sea scrolls would be good to look at and the T’noch to a point. Somehow I think the Christian translations are going to be slightly biased.

I’m not quite sure what the Catholic Apologists or any Christian Apologists would know about this. That’s certainly not an unbiased search for truth.

So what if the Song of the Sage mentions Lilith? Neither the Jews nor any Christian sect regard it as canonical. In fact, that very page states that it is unlikely that the “lilith” mentioned in Isaiah 34:14 is a reference to the occult character.

It shows that is was known in Jesus’ day. “Occult characters” as you call it. Needed to be removed from the Bible texts anyway. Are you sure all Jewish sects reject this?

I never contested that. I contested that the Bible gives any warrant to the doctrine of Lilith, particularly in the Book of Isaiah (which was written centuries before Christ anyway).

Needed to be removed from the Bible texts anyway.

I’m not sure what you mean by this… You’re not operating under the false assumption that all the books found in the Dead Sea Scrolls were once considered canonical, are you?

Are you sure all Jewish sects reject this?

I’m not aware of a single Jewish sect or denomination that accepts “A Song of Sages” as Scripture. The burden of proof is on the one making the assertion, so, unless you can point to a sect that does, your position is baseless.

Looking for Lilith

Really? It is more likely that it is you who do not seek an unbiased truth. I suspect that you didn’t even read the link as your remarks do not jibe with what was written.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.