Who is Martin Luther and why was he excommunicated?

Why was he excommunicated and ordered to be burnt by Pope Leo X. What did he do wrong that deserved being burnt?

Well he never got burned.

Met his death by burning at the stakes in Feb 18, 1546 at the order of Pope Leo X. Is this claim by some protestants true?

He spent approx 15 years with many health issues and in 1546 had a stroke. He died two days later on his bed.

I don’t know many protestant scholars, at least the one’s who have minimal education, that believe he was burned by the Pope.

He apparently died in front of his friends,after having many illness including Angina. I guess his friends would have noticed if he was burnt at the stake.

He was excommunicated because for one thing said the pope didnt have the only right to the interpretation of the scriptures, there is a whole list,

He was not burned. He was excommunicated because he was very anti-pope including calling the pope the anti-Christ.

He was a Catholic priest in Germany, and very scholarly, but troubled as well (was he too scrupulous?). He wanted to reform the Church, and did make some good points, but he allied himself against the Church and confronted the Pope in a way that became very personal between the two of them. The Pope at the time had his own personal issues. They both should have showed more charity and understanding, IMHO, and they may have been able to reach common ground. However, Martin Luther also allied himself with German princes that controlled about half of Germany and those princes were quite eager to seize the property that belonged to the Church in their kingdoms. Seeing obvious personal gains, they encouraged ML to separate from the Church. As a result, ML created his own denomination. I’m not certain he knew that he did, nor if he would be pleased or not that it was named “Lutheran”.

Another factor, which makes me question ML’s motives, is the fact that he married a nun. How far would a man go for love? Or lust?

All in all, despite being very intelligent, he made some decisions which would make anyone question why he did what he did. He became a little erratic and bitter in his late writings. And, yes, he did refer to the Pope as the anti-Christ.

I actually read the Book of Concord, when I was a Lutheran, and was alarmed at many of the things ML wrote. Just because you may have some good ideas (many of which the Church changed on her own over time) doesn’t mean anything if you don’t have tact. Nevertheless, I decided that despite the origins, the Lutheran church made some good points and I stuck with them for about 14 year. That is, until I realized Catholicism was nothing like I was told by my Lutheran friends. :wink:

No, he was not burned at the stake. He died of natural causes after a long marriage and several children. I think I remember something about his burial, like he wasn’t allowed to be buried in a Catholic churchyard, which would make sense.

(formerly “lutheran farmer”)

Could you post a source for this? I’ve never seen this claim, and it flies in the face of all historical evidence.

Some of the hierarchy of the Church weren’t the most moral of characters at the time, Martin Luther used this as an excuse to break from the Church founded by Jesus and instead start his own. He, along with the other reformers, penned the “5 solae” - 5 doctrines which were totally anti-Catholic, anti-biblical and anti-Christ.

He was a heretic, plain and simple. Maybe nobody else in the age of humanity has done more damage to God’s people than this man. Almost all of the problems of the Church today, as well as the problems within the secular society, almost all have their starting point in this “reformation”. In truth, they reformed nothing. The true Church never “formed” the truth of divine revelation to suit his doctrines as he wanted, and never will. All that happened is that he reformed Christianity to suit himself, and took innumerable innocent souls with him.

Some of our Lutheran friends may be able to show him in a better light.

Seems to sum it up more than adequately. I always feel sorry for Luther as I believe he was ready to recant and rejoin the church except for the pressure of the German princes. I hope Jesus looks kindly at men that thirst for Christ even in error. As for the nun… Let us not throw the first stone. Welcome home Lutheran farmer, may you become a Catholic fisherman.

Protestants do not claim this.

Let’s not forget John Huss who preceded Luther by a century. John Huss (Jan Hus) was a Bohemian (Czech) priest who also attempted to reform the Church and he WAS burned at the stake as a heretic in 1415. Huss’ teachings were influenced by John Wycliff who died in 1384. So Luther was hardly the first to call for reform, but perhaps is better known because his followers are still so numerous today.

You’re right. I shouldn’t be too harsh on him for marrying a nun. It just sounds so bad. If he had broken his vows and married a lady (I’m sure his princely friends could have found him a suitable wife) it would be easier to not think badly of him. Women had so few rights back then that it appears unseemly.

My husband was actually on the fence about joining the Catholic Church but when he read more about ML, he started in RCIA. I can’t wait for Easter 2015!

(formerly “lutheran farmer”)

The Protestants dilemma by Devin rose is a great way to compare the differences between the Martin Lutheran reform and Roman catholic faith… Its a great dialog with whoppers of concerns addressed leaving the reader to really ponder. My understanding is martin was a german catholic priest… He wrote things contrary to the authority that Christ passed down to the church and asked to pope to approve it… Of course, that was not in the popes power or will, as Jesus gave us the church at Pentecost and the teachings, scripture and holy tradition which was to be followed from the beginning to the end of time… So following out of the belief in the holy church he was unable to remain a priest especially with his promotion of all HIS ideas… He wanted to holy church to accept all his ideas on what was right and wrong… he believed in following his own conscious… We now call this moral relativism… Its interesting to think about how the holy catholic and apostolic church has maintained the original teachings and the Lutheran and protestant sects have all different sorts of beliefs. A catholic can go into any church in the world and hear the same readings as there brother across the globe… The roman catholic church is universal… Latin is the original language keeping in confirmatory all over the world… Lutheran I believe was a huge part in taking the Latin out. His reformation was attractive to people because it was easier to live by with less required …less conformatiy… It allowed people to chose what they thought was right and wrong… when Christ gave his authority to the church and the holy spirit’s guidance it was for our own good… Like a parent, we don’t always like what is best for us…but they love us and its their job to guide us in right and wrong… Good luck on your faith journey…

IIRC, many of his 95 Theses were legitimate concerns that did need reformed. And if he had stopped there, he could have wound up heralded as this saintly reformer. But then he committed hubris and took things far enough to be excommunicated and wound up causing the Protestant Reformation.

(Or at least I think I remember reading as such on the CAF once)

If someone is telling you that Martin Luther was burned at the stake by Pope Leo X … they are really mistaken.

Not even the Lutherans say that.

He died of an illness.

Not sure what you mean by this. But to offer some aside information. In Germany the Gutenburg Bible was published in roughly 1454. It was a Catholic bible printed in German. Luther was born in 1483. Latin was used early in the church because Latin was the universal language but the church wasn’t against translation of the bible into other languages for consumption.

Dr. Luther is my hero. He a monk and priest in the Catholic Church. He was highly educated and earned a doctoral degree in theology. He became alarmed at the abuses and immorality being taught in the Catholic Church mostly about the selling of indulgences. He nailed his 95 thesis to the church door of Wittenberg Germany in 1517, the year we mark the beginning of the Reformation. Wanting to have a discussion regarding his thesis, he never got one he continued writing against immorality in the church and against indulgences. He was called before the court of the Holy Roman Emperor and asked to recant which he refused. For this the Emperor and Papal Nuncio placed a bounty on his head. He escaped the matches and kindling of the Pope by being sheltered by a German Prince named Frederick The Wise. He started writing against the Pope who he believed had become a corrupt office. He called the pope the antichrist which is still Confessional Lutheran teaching. For this he was excommunicated in 1521. He later married a nun in 1525 and had 6 children. He continued his reforming work, approved the Augsburg Confession in 1530 which Lutherans hold to be definitive teaching. Most of this writings after this time were pastoral in nature. He considered himself first and foremost a pastor. Near the end of his life he was sick. His writing in become more vitriolic and anti Jewish (Lutherans reject these writings). He died in 1546 of complications of his health problems and not being burnt.

Peace and all Good!

You’re right, there have been many very saintly reformers, a good number of them came as part of the Counter Reformation in the wake of Martin Luther, King Henry VIII & the Reformation, though there have been many others throughout Church History.

I think the problem with Martin Luther was that he went to far, as you say. One of my lecturers also said something about a reform & renaissance in the Augustinian Order (to which Luther belonged) which was poorly handled & may have contributed to Luther’s opinions & beliefs in some way but I’m trying to find more information on this as well. Maybe somebody with a better knowledge of this period of History can correct me or add more details about it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.