“Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?”

I remember non-Catholis used this verse: “Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?” for some debating, but I can’t just remember it now.

Could you guys tell me what the verse is used for in some debates?

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Matthew 12:

46 While he was still speaking to the crowds, his mother and his brothers appeared outside, wishing to speak with him. 47 Someone told him, “Your mother and your brothers are standing outside, asking to speak with you.” * 48 But he said in reply to the one who told him, “Who is my mother? Who are my brothers?” 49 And stretching out his hand toward his disciples, he said, “Here are my mother and my brothers. 50 For whoever does the will of my heavenly Father is my brother, and sister, and mother.”

• Verse 47 is omitted in some important textual witnesses, including Codex Sinaiticus (original reading) and Codex Vaticanus.

One argument is that these verses show that Jesus is not overly concerned that his followers revere Mary and the other Saints because Jesus points out that his followers are his kin not necessarily his blood relatives.

If reverence to Mary was important this would have been an excellent time for The Master to say so. He did not, so why do Catholics place an emphasis on Mary when Jesus clearly did not according to this proof text?

Is this the passage where Mary and his “brothers” come to take him home as they think he is “mad”? Or is that in Mark?

It was in Mt 12:46-50 as b_justb cited.
Thanks b_justb for your info.

The same reason Christ washed the feet of the Disciples. The same reason He spoke of John, being the greatest among men born to women, but the least in Heaven.

I suppose I never thought of it as not as indicating we should or should not revere such individuals to include Jesus Himself, but rather as He said it is those who do the Will of God that He recognizes as a brother, mother, or neighbor. Once they are recognized as such, the honor of reverence seems justified.

I always took this passage as Jesus answering the person telling him that his family was outside wanting to talk to Him to mean Jesus saying, “What? Look around you. My family is inside already talking with me.” I could be wrong, of course. Wouldn’t be the first time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.