Who is the antichrist

Is this just imaginitive syboligy at work. or will there really be a false profit. If there is going to be, it would make sense that, Isreal may be fooled by this false christ. Are they still waiting for a soldier like christ who will emerge on the political seen? how will we know that he is the false christ, will we know if we are faithfull? :frowning:

[quote=freesoulhope]Is this just imaginitive syboligy at work. or will there really be a false profit. If there is going to be, it would make sense that, Isreal may be fooled by this false christ. Are they still waiting for a soldier like christ who will emerge on the political seen? how will we know that he is the false christ, will we know if we are faithfull? :frowning:
[/quote]

**1 John 2:22

“Who is the liar? Whoever that denies Jesus is the Christ. Whoever denies the Father and the Son, this is the antichrist”.**

Jesus did say that the Jews did not accept Him because He did not speak of Himself, but that one would come proclaiming himself and him they would accept. I cant remember the exact verse or quote but you get the idea.

that is deep! A jewish who coverted to christianity who is also an apoligist on etwn, said that, alot of jewish people will convert to catholic in the future. do you think that miracle might happen? i hope that it does!

[quote=freesoulhope]that is deep! A jewish who coverted to christianity who is also an apoligist on etwn, said that, alot of jewish people will convert to catholic in the future. do you think that miracle might happen? i hope that it does!
[/quote]

Jesus was a jew and the first Christians were jews.

Well i dont think the Jews are going to be converting to Catholicism anytime soon… Thats probably that jewish persons belief, but every jewish person i know are very devout. Plus in Judaism they do not believ you have to belong to a certian faith to be “saved.” All you have to do is follow the ten commandments. But no i dont think they are going to convert.

Some say it is Ronald McDonald, others say it’s Barney and one guy said it was the computer.:rolleyes:

St. Paul also says in 2nd thesalonians 2:3-5 “For the day of the Lord will not come unless the apostacy comes first, and the man of sin is revealed, the son of perdition who opposes and is exalted above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he sits in the temple and gives himself out as if he were God. Do you not remember that when I was with you, I used to tell you these things.” The AntiChrist for sure will be most definately a person. For the Fathers and Doctors tell us that they are “of Supreme Authority whenever they all interpret in one and the same manner any text of the bible,… for their unanimity clearly evinces that such interpretation has come down from the Apostles as a matter of Catholic Faith”, (Providentissimus Deus, Encyclical of Pope Leo XIII).

From Birch’s Trail, Tribulation and Peace "Sts. Irenaues, Ambrose, Jerome, Augustine, Pope Gregory the Great, and Anselm (AntiChrist’s capital will be in Jerusalem) - Tertullian-F, Lactantius-F, St. Cyril of Jerusalem-F&D and St. Jerome-F&D (individual Antichrist comes with a final destruction of the Roman Empire.)

“Jerome: it is ‘what all the ecclesiastical writers have handed down’. Amongst others, that is the teaching of St. Ambrose-F&D, St. John Chrysostom-F&D, St. Augustine, St. Prose-per-F, St. Rupert-F and many other ancient Church writers. St. Ephrem - Final destruction of Roman Empire.”

St. Cyril of Jerusalem - “This one shall sieze the power of the Roman Empire, and shall falsely style himself Christ. By the name of Christ he shall decieve the Jews, who are expecting the Anointed (71); and he shall seduce the gentiles by his magical illusions.”

St. Ephream- “the man of iniquity shall be revealed upon the earth, the Seducer of men and the disturber of the whole earth.”

St. Gregory the Great - “the mother of Antichrist, ect.”

St. Jerome- “Nor do we think him to be the Devil or a demon (as some others do), but one of mankind in whom Satan shall dwell totally…for he is the man of sin the son of perdition, such that he will seat himself in the Temple as if he were God.”

Here is a sign that the Antichrist is coming according to St. Bridget. “An apparent sign that the AntiChrist is coming will be when Christians love error and when the unjust tred spirituality and justice under foot,” (Life and Revelations of St. Bridget, p. 168)

St. John Dmascene - “One should know that the Antichrist must come. Antichrist, to be sure, is everyone who does not confess that the Son of God came in the flesh, is perfect God, and became man while at the same time He was God. In a peculiar and special sense, however, he who is to come at the consummation of the world is Antichrist.”

St. Jerome says this, “Satan will exercise his influence over all the powers of Antichrist, both over those of his body and of his soul - namely over his will, his intellect and his memory”, (from his commentary of the Book of Daniel, Chpt. 7). Obviously this Antichrist will have a soul, ergo, and will be a specific individual. A movement, a time, or a set of circumstances cannot posses a soul! One doctrine that will be unnacceptable to the AntiChrist is that Jesus is the Son of God. That Jesus was True God and True man. That he rose from the dead on the third day.

St. Hippolytus says that AntiChrist will order all things that might remind men of Jesus Christ to be destroyed, for example, the shrine of the Holy Sepulchre on Mount Calvary and other holy places in Jerusalem and the Holy Land. He further says In the three and one-half years in which Antichrist will reign as World Emperor, he will prohibit under pain of death, the administering of the sacraments and the offering of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass. Mass will celebrate mostly in the forests and in secret places, as was the case in the first days of Christianity, (De Consummatione Saeculi"-- concerning the End of the Ages, from Trail, Tribulation and Triumph, Birch).

Here’s a link to what the Catechism of the Catholic Church says about the Jews accepting Christ and about the Antichrist (673-677)

Just some more food for thought. The Jews are still awaiting the Messiah, they think he will be a political liberator of sorts.

Revelation talks about 2 prophets who will oppose the antichrist but will be killed. Who are those prophets, some of the fathers suppose them to be Elijah and Enoch. Whomever they are, they will rise again proclaiming Jesus as the Messiah. Then many of the Jews will be converted.

I was parked at a meter in NYC. I saw several Hassidic Jews drive by in vans. On the vans they were advertising some Messiah. I thought to myself, wow this is news to me.

I had a nun in grammar school that told us the difference between Jews and Christians was that Christians knew that Jesus was the Messiah; and that Jews were still waiting for Him. I just hope the Jews do not fall for the false prophet.

The Navarre Bible quotes JPII as that the modern “false prophet” is materialism.

Excellent question! Many saints have claimed that like Jesus, he would be Jewish. Keep in my that I am NOT anti-Semitic and happen to admire the artistry and culture of the Jewish people especially for its undeniable historical and spiritual value. However, it has been commented as I said, by many Catholic saints and even some Protestant scholars that he would be Jewish and seek to restore the Third Jewish Temple. My suggestion? Look up any info on either the ‘Temple Institute’ of Jerusalem or some other sites that Protestants have placed online dealing with the ‘antichristian diatribe against Jesus by Rabbi Chiam Richman.’ This group of people which some even call an extremely dangerous cult, has the tendency to confuse me as I study their writings. So much of what they say sounds so good, and one is tempted to wonder why anyone would find fault with their plans. For one, contemplate the incredible amount of fighting and bloodshed that would occur if something were to happen to the Al-Aqsa mosque. True, I do not think it is fair or just that Muslims will not permit Jewish people to pray at this holy site. I find it much easier to believe that this is where Abraham almost sacrificed Isaac than Mohammed riding a horse to heaven. Still, even the Hebrew people of old were known as a people that always sought after a sign, much like the Shekinah. Perhaps there motivation in building the Temple is to bring about a manifestation of this. What they will do when God does not give them a sign is what concerns me. I hope they won’t go as far as Abraham almost did…would there even be an angel to stop something like that. However as a Roman Catholic Christian, and I could only hope that Mr. Keating would agree with my perspective…Jesus Himself IS the Third Temple and this Temple has been restored in three days’ time. There is NO need for a Third Temple. Leave it to the devil’s antichrist to do everything in reverse and return to the ways that are already fulfilled in Jesus Christ. May God bless everyone in their studies. Pray for the peace of the Middle East and Israel, and may war there be prevented, In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti, Amen. :o

My ex-wife

[quote=freesoulhope]Is this just imaginitive syboligy at work. or will there really be a false profit. If there is going to be, it would make sense that, Isreal may be fooled by this false christ. Are they still waiting for a soldier like christ who will emerge on the political seen? how will we know that he is the false christ, will we know if we are faithfull? :frowning:
[/quote]

Revelation describes who is the “anti-Christ” and Church history tells us who it was that John was pointing to. :slight_smile: The question isn’t “who **will be ** the anti-Christ” but “**who was ** the anti-Christ” John spoke of in Revelation?

[/quote]

This is an excellent question and one that can get you more enemies than you want. One opinion on the antichrist that seems plausible is the teaching held by the Amillenialists and the Postmillenialists of the Reformed Protestant camps.

The belief is that when John wrote the book of Revalation it was a warning from God to Israel on the soon to come fulfillment of the judgements on them for failing to keep the covenant originally established. It is a symbolic book which prophesied the passing away of the Old Testament and the ushering in of the New Testament. All of the things that were to come to pass were to come to pass soon. Not 2,ooo years soon, but soon to the first century Church. That was the reason for the warning. Taking this into consideration, there is also a reasoning that the Antichrist spoke of in Revalation was actually Nero and that the infamous 666 was a secret coding of his name. (Remeber, allegiance to Caesar was manditory. If any Christians were caught with this type of material, they would have been killed.) I don’t remember how exactly that works, but it is similar to this: In the Greek there was a numerical value assigned to the alphabet and if you took Nero’s name the numerical total was 666. (This is an extreme simplification and I know that there is someone out there who can do a much better job on explaining this than I, but that is the jist of it). Also the historical accounts of Josephus on the fall of Jerusalem portrays many parallels to the terrors prophesied in Revalation.

Just food for thought.

Nero?

Like I said, Just a theory, …but it sort of makes sense, doesn’t it?? :cool: :cool:

Again, taking into consideration the time and the conditions underwhich the letter was written. It was written to the first century Church. If they didn’t understand the symbolism (which by the way the vast majority can be interpreted by the Old Testament Prophets) then they would have thought John was a loon and never included the book in the Canon of Scripture.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.