Who Is 'The Divine Prisoner?'

I’m currently reading A Story Of A Soul by St. Therese, the Little Flower of Jesus. In Chapter IV, she mentions receiving a picture she calls the Little Flower of the Divine Prisoner from her sister Pauline. St. Therese states that this picture was one of the “strongest impressions that aided her in the practice of virtue”.

Who is the Divine Prisoner? Is there an image of the Divine Prisoner?

I have never heard of this before and I can’t find any information on the internet. Does anybody here know anything about this?

Thanks

Our Lord Jesus, is sometimes referred to as “The Divine Prisoner” because He willingly resides , a “Prisoner of Love” (for us) in the Tabernacle or Monstrance. I’m certain that this is what St. Therese was making reference to.

Hope this helps. God bless.

Our Lord Jesus, is sometimes referred to as “The Divine Prisoner” because He willingly resides , a “Prisoner of Love” (for us) in the Tabernacle or Monstrance. I’m certain that this is what St. Therese was making reference to.

Thanks MarieVeronica!

Where did you hear about Our Lord being referred to as “The Divine Prisoner?” I wonder if this is a French devotion that is not really widespread?

“Dempsey” I can’t recall exactly where I heard it. But it’s been around for a long time.

Have you ever heard of Little Nellie of Holy God? She was a very small child, when she died… I believe she was only 4. Anyway, she had a natural devotion to Jesus in the Tabernacle. And she had a gift for knowing when the Blessed Sacrament was there… or not. She would say… “Holy God is not in the “lockup”, today”… and this would astound the nuns (who took care of her). They never knew how it was that she knew this. But this was certainly a reference to Our Lord, being “Prisoner” in the Tabernacle.

God bless.

books.google.com/books?id=HQmCKFvm9KoC&pg=PA56&lpg=PA56&dq=%22Little+Flower+of+the+Divine+Prisoner%22&source=bl&ots=OAXB4vMNSo&sig=xBwHMoyQyrf4s0YE_7LL6YbCyWs&hl=en&ei=vzrvSdGxCYKUswOF1NHiAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1#PPA56,M1

Go here and page up just a little. This is supposed to be the original card.

site.paracletepress.com/samples/exc-divineprisoner.pdf

Here’s a poem

Thus, The Divine Prisoner is Christ (who else?) in the tabernacle!

This is why most Eastern Churches prefer an open Tabernacle or Eucharistic Dove–because God is free. We don’t have Him locked up in a box.

This is why most Eastern Churches prefer an open Tabernacle or Eucharistic Dove–because God is free. We don’t have Him locked up in a box.

This is the first time I’ve heard about this. I would imagine that the Eastern Churches place great importance to Eucharistic Adoration, because of the fact that they always have open Tabernacles?

Also, do the Eastern Catholics leave the Eucharist alone in an open Tabernacle? I would be afraid in case someone stole the Lord. Does someone guard the Eucharist at all times in an Eastern Church?

Thank you very, very much.

Good questions. I am curious too.

Nor do Latin Rite (Roman) Catholics “have Him locked up in a box”. Jesus the “Divine Prisoner” is there, willingly. He is God. And if it were not His Holy Will… to be kept there… He wouldn’t be. :wink:

The actual, material lock on the Tabernacle is more for the safety of the Blessed Sacrament, than anything else; to prevent desecration. It isn’t a human act, of denying Our Lord His freedom.

Hope this helps. God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.