Who is the new Eve?

Hello!

St. Paul wrote that the church is the mystical body of Christ. He compared it as Christ's spouse and since he also wrote that the Lord Jesus is the new Adam, it follows that the church, as His bride, is the new Eve. I've read somewhere, but I can't remember what book or online article, that the Blessed Mother is the new Eve since the first Eve disobeyed God, the new Eve obeyed God. I am more inclined to believe that the church is the new Eve instead of the Blessed Mother being the new Eve. It would be easier to accept and believe that the Blessed Mother is the new Ark of the Covenant. This is confusing for me so a little help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and God bless!

Mary, the mother of the Church, is the new Eve. She is also the new ark of the covenant.
{I'm typing from a phone right now, but I'm sure someone else will be able to go into further detail.}

[quote="kingsan, post:1, topic:338875"]
Hello!

St. Paul wrote that the church is the mystical body of Christ. He compared it as Christ's spouse and since he also wrote that the Lord Jesus is the new Adam, it follows that the church, as His bride, is the new Eve. I've read somewhere, but I can't remember what book or online article, that the Blessed Mother is the new Eve since the first Eve disobeyed God, the new Eve obeyed God. I am more inclined to believe that the church is the new Eve instead of the Blessed Mother being the new Eve. It would be easier to accept and believe that the Blessed Mother is the new Ark of the Covenant. This is confusing for me so a little help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and God bless!

[/quote]

It's not a matter of either/or, but of both/and. Mary, being the Mother of God is both the New/Second Eve, and so is the Church. Mary, because of her "fiat" to God that brought us our Redeemer and Savior, is the Second Eve. The Church, as the Bride of Christ, is also the New Eve. Mary is also part of the Bride of Christ, as one redeemed by Christ. These titles can be held by both Mary and the Church, and the Church celebrates them as such. I hope that helps. :)

[quote="Della, post:3, topic:338875"]
It's not a matter of either/or, but of both/and. Mary, being the Mother of God is both the New/Second Eve, and so is the Church. Mary, because of her "fiat" to God that brought us our Redeemer and Savior, is the Second Eve. The Church, as the Bride of Christ, is also the New Eve. Mary is also part of the Bride of Christ, as one redeemed by Christ. These titles can be held by both Mary and the Church, and the Church celebrates them as such. I hope that helps. :)

[/quote]

Indeed you'd be amazed at just how many times certain images of Scripture refer clearly to both Our Lady and the Church! And it is not a coincidence...:)

[quote="kingsan, post:1, topic:338875"]
Hello!

Thank you and God bless!

[/quote]

Mary is. Read St Irenaeus.

crossroadsinitiative.com/library_article/70/Mary_as_the_New_Eve___St._Irenaeus.html

But Mary could be considered the first Christian and Mother of the Church.

For interest, read Pope John Paul II's "Mary is Outstanding Figure of Church," or Ratzinger's Mary the Church at the Source. Or this Catholic Culture article, in addition to others' links, on Mary as new Eve.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.