Who is the "O Prince of the Heavenly host" in the St. Michael the Archangel prayer?

I have heard it is Jesus, but i have also heard it is St. Michael.

Its not referring to Jesus, but to St. Micheal only.

I don’t see how it could be anyone but St. Michael. He is an angel, after all, and the prayer is addressed directly to him. :shrug:

Peace and God bless!

Saint Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray;
and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host -
** by the Divine Power of God **-
cast into hell, satan and all the evil spirits,
who roam throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

so the force behind St. Michael’s power, like everyone else, is God. This portion would not make sense if it were referring to Jesus; who IS God.

12stoneart.com/product_images/37/to_chain_the_beast.jpg

It refers to St. Michael the Archangel.

See Revelation 12:10-11

Now war arose in heaven, Michael and his angels fighting against the dragon; and the dragon and his angels fought, 8 but they were defeated and there was no longer any place for them in heaven. 9* And the great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the Devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world–he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.

Michael leads the heavenly army.

I always thought prince of the heavenly host was a reference to Jesus. The Prince (especially when capitalized) of Heaven. The part concerning the divine power of God could still be attributed to Jesus, even though He is God. For it is by His Godship alone that he is able to cast the demons into Hell?

But Jesus is not a Prince, He is King and Lord. :thumbsup:

What you are saying can be true, but the St Michael prayer is directed to St Mike, and not Jesus, so that phrase is not in reference to the Prince of Peace.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.