Who is the Prophet Mohammed?

Who is the Prophet Mohammed to Christians and Jews? Is he mentioned in Sacred Scripture or in any Jewish writings? If so, where?

No he isn’t. He can’t be, as the time he allegedly lived was about five or six centuries after Christ.

Muhammad is only important to Christians and Jews in so far as their relationships with Muslims. He is not a prophet or authority in either religion.

No. Muhammed was born long after scripture the Bible was canonised.

If I am not mistaken, Mohammed died in 632 AD While the scripture had been fully compiled by the council of Nicea which occured in 325AD. the various gospels and writings had already been in existence for hundreds of years by that point but the bible as we know it had been collected by that point.

An Arab that claimed to get the final revelations from the angle Gabriel to replace the corrupted scriptures of the Christians and Jews. He preached a monotheism and is the founder of Islam. While generally believed to be real, there are some today that question the story about him and his existence in general. Since he denies Christ being the Son of God, he is considered a false prophet.

Nicea defined the Divinity of Christ, not the Canon of the Bible, if I am not mistaken. The Councils of Hippo, Carthage and Pope Damasus I defined it, Trent reinforced. T least that’s what I have heard.

drfye and Bezant already answered the question as well as it could be answered.

Two other sets of comments are interesting in that they speak on Mohammed in a way that would be insulting to Catholics and other Christians if turned on Christ (as it often is).

Christ *allegedly *lived six centuries before Mohammed.

*People **claim *Jesus is the son of God, and that he rose from the dead.

While Jesus is generally believed to be real, there are many today who *question *the *stories *about him and his existence in general. Some of his alleged claims put him at odds with Judaism.

Most Christians don’t like this language used about Jesus. It would seem to me to be good practice not to use it about others’ religions. I wonder if this is a reasonable approach to answering the question at hand? I wonder if pointing this issue out on my part is perhaps itself sinful, insofar as it may separate me from God somehow. Alternatively, to let it go when I suspect it’s unnecessarily uncharitable might also be sinful. I don’t know.

I did not mean to offend anyone. I said he “allegedly” lived that time, because I have heard that people have serious doubts about whether he ever existed and that there was evidence for that. This however is not part of the topic at hand.

As for Jesus Christ, that’s not the topic either.

There are numerous errors in the Koran. I believe it says Mary, Jesus’ mother was Moses’ wife which isn’t true at all. The Arab version of the name Mary is Miriam and Moses did have a wife named Miriam but she wasn’t Jesus’ Mary our Blessed Mother. Moses and The Blessed Mother lived thousands of years apart. With that said, Muslims like the Blessed Mother and she is only woman whose name is even mentioned in the Koran, it doesn’t even mention Mohammed’s daughter, Fatima. I also find it no suprise that Our Blessed Mother appeared at Fatima.

While Jesus is generally believed to be real, there are many today who question the stories about him and his existence in general. Some of his alleged claims put him at odds with Judaism.

Not for anything but Jesus WAS at odds with the pharasees and the High Preists who where the Jewish temple leaders I mean that’s why he was sentenced to death! Just read the Gospels they are filled with text about this. Jesus didn’t fit the Jewish idea of a Messiah. They wanted a rich and powerful Messiah that would get rid of the Roman Occupation of Israel. They didn’t want a Messiah born into poverty that told them to love their enemies like God loved them. That’s why Judas betrayed him.

Of note here is that an angel reportedly appeared to Muhammad and gave the “revelation” Yet, that “revelation” fundamentally altered the nature of the triune God - the very nature that God had revealed about Himself to mankind. The spirit calling himself “Moroni” did the exact same thing in his words to Joseph Smith. Paul’s wise words in Galatians apply especially here:

Galatians 1:8-9

But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach a gospel to you besides that which we have preached to you, let him be anathema. As we said before, so now I say again: If any one preach to you a gospel, besides that which you have received, let him be anathema.

Yet, the spirit that appeared to both religious founders is also the spirit of twisting words, for it did not and could not address the living Apostolic Tradition that was handed down regarding the revealed nature of God - Tradition which forever remains uncorrupted and unchanged. Both spirits, “Gabriel” and “Moroni”, (if in fact they were different spirits), could not alter the living Apostolic Tradition, but rather, only the printed word. As to their origin or identity, one can only surmise that they either were the liar and father of lies, or were under his command. The devil himself twisted the written word in his temptation of Christ in the desert:

Matthew 4:5-6

Then the devil took him up into the holy city, and set him upon the pinnacle of the temple, And said to him: If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down, for it is written: That he hath given his angels charge over thee, and in their hands shall they bear thee up, lest perhaps thou dash thy foot against a stone.

I have seen no evidence that either Muhammad or Joseph Smith did anything to test the spirits to see if they were from God:

1 John 4:1

Dearly beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits if they be of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

There is a great radio show on catholic answers Called “Searching for Mohammed”. Go to the home page and under the “browse” tab at the top find “Non-Catholic” and it will bring you to a list of radio shows. Scroll through till you find it (I think it is on page 2) on when you click on it…the show will come up. Click listen and give it a minute and it will come up and you can listen to it on your computer. He addresses the fact that there is no written historical (secular or religious) writing about Mohammed until over 100 years after his death. Very interesting and informative show.

You may be interested in this explanation of how the canon of Scripture came to be. In the middle of page two it states that “The Bible, the inspired word of God came out of the Catholic Church around the end of the 4th century”. Those other councils figured in also, but it was approved before them.

catholicevangelism.org/Canon.pdf

I didn’t think anyone meant offense. I just wanted to point it out as something to think about. Indeed, it wasn’t the topic. Neither was the truth or falsity of Islam or Mohammed’s existence. I feel those were put on the table by those phrases I quoted before, though.

Again, I thought it was an interesting point worthy of discussion. Believe me, the criticism applies to me as well as anyone else (though not necessarily with regard to Islam, per se).

A criticism often levied against the New Testament (even between Christians, i.e., just look at the King-James-Only movement!!!).

It seems I’ve heard they even accept the virgin birth?

Ummmmm… no… he lived in the seventh century long after all of those were written, he was an Arab Merchant claimed to have been contacted by God via Gabriel and given his final revelation because Jews and Christians had fallen into apostasy.

Actually they do from what i have learned, but that may vary.

Catholics and Jews do not recognize Mohammed as a prophet.

Islam is monotheistic, and in their books there is some truth, though mixed with unbelief about who Jesus is to Christians. They believe that Jesus is a prophet. They do not believe that Jesus is the Incarnation of the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity and that after His crucifixion He rose from the dead.

thanks for that link.

I don’t think anyone would consider those statements to be insulting. Foolish maybe, since I’m not aware of any historian that actively questions the existance of Jesus Christ, but certainly not insulting. It does not come as a surprise to any marginally intelligent person that not everyone is a Christian.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.