Who is the Prophet Mohammed?

I went through the articles and it’s essentially a Christian who knows his Qur’an which he uses to give evidence for the Bible.

He was quoting the acts and calling it, “injeel acts” and “injeel mark” he was using all the Arabic names and quoting the Qur’an.

It’s a strange approach because he acts as if the Qur’an is a book sent by God but I think he’s only doing this to relate to Muslims while leading them to Christianity. As I said, I don’t know what to make of it; it seems a bit dishonest but it’s hard to make a judgement call on his intentions.

One must understand , as religious believers , the bible and Quran will always clash on certain things we both can’t agree on. In saying this, both of us are not displaying hardcore evidence to suggest that what we believe in is 100% totally true. From a christians perspective it’s clear from your point of view is that you you will find many dubious things about the Quran and it’s historical accuracy and the same vice versa amongst us muslims. After all this is a thread purposely set up about our last prophet and not about John the Baptist which is irrelevant.

I’m not speaking of Biblical history, I’m speaking of secular, non-Christian 100% reliable historians from the first century. I’m wondering how Muhammed reconciles actual history with his claims.

He hasn’t being reconciling , he was given the revelation which was the Quran and he then spoke the words of the holy book that were given to him and remember it’s the prophets viewpoint in which he sees things you may disagree with. Gtg sleep talk Tom

So how then do we reconcile the Quran’s ambiguity and historical facts?

We disagree with it because Mohammed clearly didn’t follow up on history and the suffering of the people in bringing God’s Word to the World.

MJ

In my Jeff Cavins Bible Study class at our Catholic Church, someone suggested that the Islam faith didn’t revere Mary, the Blessed Mother. I thought perhaps otherwise, so decided to research this, and questioned an older, nice Moslem couple, of the Islam faith, I met while shopping at a local vegetable stand. I told the gentleman that I was a practicing Roman Catholic in a Bible studies class and had a question for him. The gentleman, originally from Bagdad, Iraq, told me the Islam faith greatly reveres Mary – that she was always saintly and was the virgin mother of Jesus Christ. Every time he mentioned Mary or any other holy person, he said a short phrase out of respect. The Angel Gabriel is also significant in the Islam faith. He also said that they hold Jesus Christ in high esteem, saying not only that Jesus was a prophet, he was like an apostle. When questioned about the Koran’s idea of the end of the world, however, he said that Jesus and Mohammed will come back to earth together, Jesus would be slain and then God would come and there would be world peace. Quite different from what my Catholic Church teaches and Catholic Bible states, but interesting to hear about their beliefs! We did agree that there is basically one God, worshiped by all faiths. Hope I was correct in saying this. Why, then, are there so many terrible wars over our similar, yet often differing beliefs?

This is true. They don’t revere her…in the way we revere her to be exact. Islam deny she is the Blessed Mother (of God).

So it is more like a nice sentiment. Muslims may revere her in the way they’ve been led to believe, rather than believing in the Blessedness of Mother Mary, who is the New Eve.

I thought perhaps otherwise, so decided to research this, and questioned an older, nice Moslem couple, of the Islam faith, I met while shopping at a local vegetable stand. I told the gentleman that I was a practicing Roman Catholic in a Bible studies class and had a question for him. The gentleman, originally from Bagdad, Iraq, told me the Islam faith greatly reveres Mary – that she was always saintly and was the virgin mother of Jesus Christ.

As I said a very nice sentiment but not fully in the Truth. Islam’s belief in the virgin Mary, leaves out the details about the Holy Spirit (the third Person of God) and thus the power of the Most High overshadowed her but also after Mary gave her concurrence.

This is also important…Islam doesn’t believe in free will. Islam states “God decrees and it happens (sic)”, but it was Mary who was given the choice to accept the words of passed to her by Gabriel by saying "May your word to me be fulfilled.”.

Every time he mentioned Mary or any other holy person, he said a short phrase out of respect. The Angel Gabriel is also significant in the Islam faith. He also said that they hold Jesus Christ in high esteem, saying not only that Jesus was a prophet, he was like an apostle. When questioned about the Koran’s idea of the end of the world, however, he said that Jesus and Mohammed will come back to earth together, Jesus would be slain and then God would come and there would be world peace. Quite different from what my Catholic Church teaches and Catholic Bible states, but interesting to hear about their beliefs! We did agree that there is basically one God, worshiped by all faiths. Hope I was correct in saying this. Why, then, are there so many terrible wars over our similar, yet often differing beliefs?

As you can see it doesn’t make sense for Jesus and Mohammed to come together when the latter didn’t follow the actual facts that lead to Jesus coming into the world as Man in the first place! :rolleyes:

MJ

Emerite,
. These wars amongst men go back to Cain and Abel. Whatever it is that exists in our genes that causes fight or flight seems to be triggered to the extreme in reaction to religion. That just says something about us, as humans, that we have this potential within us.

. It would seem to me that the best approach would be to somehow set our emotions aside when discussing religion and without judgement simply try to discover what is what and not to be offended. For the most part people inherit their beliefs and essentially repeat what they have been hearing since childhood. Of course there are exceptions, but it is surprising that people don’t tend to stop and think: “What if I had been born in Arabia and raised by Muslims? Then surely I would be espousing Islam.”

. Had any of us here been born in India, most likely we would “believe” in Krsna, just as much as we “believe” in Christ for having been born in the west.

. It surely is a shame though, all the violence over God, by whatever name we call upon Him, for it is surely the same and only God who has created all mankind.

. Allah, Great Spirit, Jehovah, Gott …

Muhammad didn’t follow up history and facts , well in the story of the resurrection of jesus and crucifixion. Their isn’t after all even the slightest evidence that jesus even resurrected there is many doubts about the accounts. And I don’t even think from a muslims perspective that he was 100% crucified , it’s about evidence not about because Muhammad disagreed with a lot of things in christianity , therefore making him a false prophet.

My friend. Jesus’ Apostles died for the Faith. They wouldn’t have tolerated persecution and death if they did not know whether Jesus was Resurrected.

Amen.

MJ

I don’t know what to say everyone has their opinions and we all should respect it

Is this view in the Quran? Just asking… I don’t know. :slight_smile:

MJ

Actually, the Muslim historian Reza Aslan recently said, “the one thing we can be sure about Jesus is his crucifixion.”

Take a look at this wiki article which are usually very anti-Christian:

*Although there is disagreement about issues such as the calling of disciples, the agreement on crucifixion is very widespread, and most scholars in the third quest for the historical Jesus consider the crucifixion indisputable.[23][59][60][61] Eddy and Boyd state that it is now “firmly established” that there is non-Christian confirmation of the crucifixion of Jesus.[24]Bart Ehrman states that the crucifixion of Jesus on the orders of Pontius Pilate is the most certain element about him.[60]John Dominic Crossan states that the crucifixion of Jesus is as certain as any historical fact can be.[23]John P. Meier views the crucifixion of Jesus as historical fact and states that based on the criterion of embarrassment Christians would not have invented the painful death of their leader.[61] Meier states that a number of other criteria, e.g. the criterion of multiple attestation (i.e. confirmation by more than one source), the criterion of coherence (i.e. that it fits with other historical elements) and the criterion of rejection (i.e. that it is not disputed by ancient sources) help establish the crucifixion of Jesus as a historical event.[62]

Although scholars agree on the historicity of the crucifixion, they differ on the reason and context for it, e.g. both E. P. Sanders and Paula Fredriksen support the historicity of the crucifixion, but contend that Jesus did not foretell his own crucifixion, and that his prediction of the crucifixion is a Christian story.[63]Geza Vermes also views the crucifixion as a historical event but provides his own explanation and background for it.*

Also, check out these secular quotes by historians and major figures from the first century:

Tacitus states" Nero fastened the guilt . . . on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of . . . Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judaea, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome"

Here’s Josephus’s account from the 1st century: “About this time there lived Jesus, a wise man, if indeed one ought to call him a man. For he . . . wrought surprising feats. . . . He was the Christ. When Pilate . . .condemned him to be crucified, those who had . . . come to love him did not give up their affection for him. On the third day he appeared . . . restored to life. . . . And the tribe of Christians . . . has . . . not disappeared.”

Check this out from Mara Bar-Serapion written around 73ad:

What advantage did the Jews gain from executing their wise king? It was just after that their kingdom was abolished.

Scholars accept that this is from another non-Christian source affirming Christ’s death.

I’ll give the full quote as I love how it ends:

Mara Bar-Serapion
73 AD
“What else can we say, when the wise are forcibly dragged off by tyrants, their wisdom is captured by insults, and their minds are oppressed and without defense? What advantage did the Athenians gain from murdering Socrates? Famine and plague came upon them as a punishment for their crime. What advantage did the men of Samos gain from burning Pythagoras? In a moment their land was covered with sand. **What advantage did the Jews gain from executing their wise king? It was just after that their kingdom was abolished. **God justly avenged these three wise men: the Athenians died of hunger; the Samians were overwhelmed by the sea and the Jews, desolate and driven from their own kingdom, live in complete dispersion. But Socrates is not dead, because of Plato; neither is Pythagoras, because of the statue of Juno; nor is the wise king, because of the “new law” he laid down

There are a few things we can gain from this: First, this was written within the first century, secondly it affirms the execution of Jesus, third it speaks of the new law Christ has laid. And fourth of all, it speaks of the destruction of the Jewish temple as punishment for the death of their “wise king.”

It’s really amazing what we have.

dronald,

. This is a most beautiful quote. It speaks of the “appearance” of executing the reality by killing the man. The reality does not go away. Truth is reality. Truth does not die, nor can it be crucified.

Martin,
. It is also true that the followers of Muhammad (PBUH) died for their Faith. They, too, wouldn’t have tolerated persecution and death if they didn’t know that He was the Apostle of God.

. The greatest testimony anyone can make is that of ultimate sacrifice. When one’s “last words” are written with his very blood spilled upon the ground, what ink is purer than this as a final testimony to one’s Faith, whatever outward form it takes, which dispensation it occurs.

Not the slightest bit of evidence? Do you concede that women make poor witnesses in first century Rome and Jeruselum? That Jews considered women terrible witnesses. Why then do the Gospels write of women being the first to see the empty tomb and deliver the message of the angel that Christ has risen from the dead?

Ah. But if only Mohammed knew that Christians died for believing in the Resurrected
Crucified Christ, he would have become Christian

]

. The greatest testimony anyone can make is that of ultimate sacrifice. When one’s “last words” are written with his very blood spilled upon the ground, what ink is purer than this as a final testimony to one’s Faith, whatever outward form it takes, which dispensation it occurs.

Sorry but Jesus already taught about the Greatest Love… to give ones life for his friends.
MJ

Hi Martin, I’ve always been interested to know about these martyred souls. Did they die being asked to recant their Faith in Jesus, or were they asked to specifically recant their belief in a physical resurrection?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.