Who is the Prophet?

The Old Testament left unfulfilled the promise made to Moses: “I will raise up a prophet like yourself for them from their own brothers; I will put my words into his mouth and he shall tell them all that I command them.”

If Jesus wasn’t a prophet, who is this prophet?

Jesus is Priest, Prophet and King. We are also, through Baptism into Him.

Unfortunately, it has become fashionable in liberal-elite news and commentary circles that “The Prophet” is used to refer to Muhammad. Apparently, these media elites seem to want to give the impression that they are respectful and “in the know” about Islam and Allah (even pronouncing the words “ees-lom” and “ul=lah”). I guess it’s the hip thing to say nowadays.

Okay that’s where the confusion lies. My RCIA instructor taught us that Jesus was not a mere Prophet, that he was the son of God, a Rabbi and the Son in the Holy Trinity.

I contend that it’s Muhammad [peace be upon him]. He is the final prophet sent to mankind.

Hmmm… that would make Jesus both a liar and inferior.:rolleyes:

How would that make him a liar?

Inferior hmmm, well that could be relative to ones perspective.

No, if Muhammad was the final prophet, it would mean that his understanding of Jesus is the correct one. Jesus’ character is not at stake. He was a truthful man.

Inferior to what? to Muhammad? that’s a claim the Qur’an never makes. It doesn’t necessarily follow that if Muhammad is the final prophet, Jesus is inferior to him. Inferior in terms of importance, maybe, but anything else would be a stretch.

catholicherald.co.uk/issues/january-30th-2015/the-greatest-prophet-of-the-old-testament/

**Luke 16

16 “The law and the prophets were until John; since then the good news of the kingdom of God is preached, and every one enters it violently. 17 But it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away, than for one dot of the law to become void.**

There are prophets in the New Covenant who bear witness to the Lamb and Lord of this Covenant. Did Muhammad bear witness to Jesus?

**Acts 10:43

To him all the prophets bear witness that every one who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.”**

Did Jesus say this or is this Catholic theology?

From our point of view Mohammad is not a prophet. If he can be said to be a prophet, then he is a false prophet. In my opinion, he was one of the greatest antichrists in history. I do not call him that to be “mean”, but in view of the definition of “antichrist” given by St. John, and looking back at the facts of history. I, for one, never call him “The Prophet Mohammad”, but simply “Mohammad”, not because I want to offend Muslims, but because I do not consider him to be a prophet, if he even existed.

Who is the liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, he who denies the Father and the Son. No one who denies the Son has the Father. He who confesses the Son has the Father also.

• 1 John 2:22-23

For many deceivers have gone out into the world, men who will not acknowledge the coming of Jesus Christ in the flesh; such a one is the deceiver and the antichrist.

• 2 John 1:7

Needless to say, M. did not confess Jesus as the Christ. Jesus is God, who came to teach us about the Father and the Kingdom of God. There can be no “prophet” from God giving further revelation of God after Him, not M., nor Joseph Smith, because Jesus has already fully revealed Him.

God bless

In Acts 3:22-37, Peter names Jesus as the person who fulfills this prophecy of Moses’.

He is a Prophet, but not in the manner of an OT prophet, and He is more than a prophet.

Hebrews 1:1-4.

Jesus is the one who not only brings the word of God but who is the Word of God.

John 1:1-5

:thumbsup:
Hebrews 1:1-4
1*In many and various ways God spoke of old to our fathers by the prophets;2but in these last days he has spoken to us by a Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world.3He reflects the glory of God and bears the very stamp of his nature, upholding the universe by his word of power. When he had made purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,4having become as much superior to angels as the name he has obtained is more excellent than theirs.

Where is Muhammad’s prophetic message??? What does he say about the Son of God?

Here is another thread about this topic: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=72963

This kind of assertion leads to unnecessary conflict between people of different religions.

Muhammad, in the Qur’an stated clearly and unequivocally that Jesus IS the Christ:

“(And remember) when the angels said: O Mary! Lo! Allah giveth thee glad tidings of a word from him, whose name is the Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, illustrious in the world and the Hereafter, and one of those brought near (unto Allah).” - Qur’an 3:45

Note: “Christ” is the Greek translation for the Hebrew word “Messiah”.

Muhammad, in the Qur’an, calls Jesus the Christ, the Word of God and the Spirit of God. In addition in the Hadiths, Muhammad was said to state that Christ would return in the time of the end to bring about a transformation of the world and judge all people.

If this is true, was Muhammad a Christian who was Baptized?

Hi, Matthew.

Would you mind explaining what Muhammad believed Christ accomplished? What was his reason for becoming man? They deny his sacrifice for the sins of man. So what was Jesus’ mission and purpose according to Islam?

Thanks.

Seve

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.