Who is the Whore of Babylon?

I was wonderin if anyone could help me with this? Earlier today I was havin a discussion with some friends about me becoming Catholic and I basically got verbally abused for defending and joining the “whore of Babylon” (Aka the Catholic Church). Since apparently Babylon is a pseudonym for Rome, that’s how they took it. At this point in my conversion that was a serious letdown and had questions and doubts flying through my head, so if anyone could help that would be great so i know what to say if it’s ever brought up again.

It’s the (1st) Roman empire (not the Holy roman empire). The reason fundamentalist protestants think that the Catholic Church is the whore of babylon is because we ask saints to intercede for us, and by doing that became “pagan” and are still pagan and the whore of babylon to this day. The problem with this is that when Christianity became the official religion of the roman empire, pagans were complaining. Why would pagans complain about Catholicism if Catholicism became pagan? So anyway, it’s just anti-Catholic propaganda that fundamentalists use to try to justify why they believe the Catholic Church is not Christian. Comes from lack of history. Someone (I can’t remember who - maybe Henry Newman?) said that to become knowledgable about history means to cease being Protestant.

You may find this Catholic Answers tract helpful on the use of this phrase, specifically in anti-Catholic circles.

Ask them where they got this idea? They may not admit it, but this mainly comes from Dave Hunt, Hissop or Boettner or from Chick tracts.

Here is more links to educate you:

catholic.com/library/Whore_of_Babylon.asp

catholic.com/thisrock/1994/9409fea4.asp

catholic.com/thisrock/1994/9410fea2.asp

catholic.com/library/sr_chick_tracts_p4.asp

I find this accusation kind of offensive.
I think the links above will be good resources. Your “friends” or whoever you were talking to should have more respect for other people’s faith. Calling someone’s religion a “whore” is really offensive and inappropriate, especially when they don’t know what they are talking about. :frowning:

The whole “Whore of Baylon” thing comes from a misinterpretation of Revelation. This vision of John refers the the pagan Roman Empire and the Emperor himself who desired to be worshipped as a god.

This is why people who tell other people what the Bible means shold know what they are talking about. It’s the reason we have the Church. The Community keeps us honest. The Bible also warns against private interpretation…

May God bless you in your journey.

Gem

hey i know people who don’t believe in Church interpretation and believe you should interpret personally do you know exactly were in the Bible it says let the Church interrupt

Swiss Guy: To be deep in history is to cease to be a Protestant ~ John Henry Newman, An Essay on the Development of Christian Doctrine, Image Books, Division of Doubleday, 1960, p. 35.

North Texan: Fact is, the New Testament consists of 27 of the Catholic Church’s own writings. Protestants don’t know this. They attack the Church with her own words. Ignorant, and how! You betcha!

When the Catholic Church was about 364 years old, she selected, collected, and canonized, 27 of her own writings and named them the New Testament. At the very same time, in the very same councils, she canonized 46 writings of the Greek Septuagint that she inherited from Jesus and the Apostles and named them the Old Testament. Her entire collection of sacred scripture she named Tá Biblia – the Bible. These were the Councils of Rome (A.D. 382), Hippo (393) and Carthage III (397) and IV (419).

Would the Church include in the New Testament any writing that calls her ugly names? Nope. These people are ignorant. It’s your challenge to learn the Catholic Faith well so you can educate them. :smiley:

Jim Dandy
Ex-Southern Baptist, ex-agnostic, ex-atheist,

Jim Dandy

" 15 but if I am delayed, I write so that you may know how you ought to conduct yourself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth." 1 Tim 3:15

The church is the pillar of truth, I think this gives them the right to “interrupt”. If we were to ignore the Church and Her teaching, give up 2000 years of history, what have we gained? We would be free to fall into the pits of heresy that plagued the early Church. Man, that sounds like fun!:rolleyes:

I don’t want to make God conform to my image, but I want to conform to His image. If I can interpret the Bible alone, then I will make God fit into my plans. This isn’t done out of greed or spite, that"s just how the human heart works, we always hold our opinions above others.

“20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation,** 21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God[c] spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.” 2 Peter 1:20

Hope this helps!**

The Bible is not an instruction book in Christianity. It doesn’t contain everything God revealed. The Church wrote the New Testament. Would you authorize someone else to read your correspondence and interpret it however they wish? Of course not! The NT was written for insiders – to members of the Church, from members of the Church, and for members of the Church. It was not written for outsiders. There is only ONE correct interpretation – and that’s the one the sacred writers intended to convey when they wrote it. Protestants took the Church’s own book and made it their personal property, to interpret as they please.

Personal interpretation has given Christianity thousands of denominations. It is for those who do not believe in objective, religious TRUTH. Every denomination conflicts and competes with every other denomination. They are all based on the same incomplete Bible cut by Martin Luther, but no two of them agree about what the Bible means.

The Catholic Church did not come out of the Bible; rather, the Bible came out of the Catholic Church!

Jim Dandy

The Catholic Church was first called the Whore of Babylon and the Pope the Antichirst by Martin Luther in the 16th century. That the Pope is evil and the Antichrist is still in the Lutheran “Confessions.” Here’s a link to the Book of Concord article about the papacy.

bookofconcord.org/treatise.php

Other Protestants picked it up from Luther.

home.inreach.com/bstanley/luther.htm

It was even in the Protestant Geneva Bible.

joemcclane.com/downloads/Pitre-Who-is-the-Whore-of-Babylon.pdf

Jim Dandy

I 100% agree! I actually gave one of them my copies of Upon this Rock Why is that Tradition and Four Witnesses and told them they were not allowed to say anything about the Church to me until until they read those book…here’s to hoping!!

I thnk after time when I become more familiar with Catholic teachings I will be able to defend the church without having to give ppl books lol

that would be Jack Chick :smiley:

The Whore of Babylon was the first Rome, which was symbolically smited when the Saint-Emperor Constantine the Great embraced Christ as God (After God made a pact with him to make him Emperor of Rome and defeat his rival if he flew the banner of the Chi Rho).

Constantine flew the banner and won the battle and became Emperor, so he embraced God as the true Emperor of the Universe and set the standard of Roman Emperors being Holy Vicegerents of the one true ruler. This eventually lead to the new holy Empire, which eventually became the Empire in Byzantine (Greece) and Germany after Italy fell to the Barbarians.

EDIT:

It is also speculated that Jerusalem or the actual Babylon (Iraq) are the Whore of Babylon. The official Ignatius press study materials affirm that it could be any of the 3, being, pagan Rome, apostate Jerusalem, or pagan Iraq. Either way, all 3 ceased exist, as pagan Rome ended with Constantine, Jerusalem is now home to many Christians, and Iraq is now Islamic, not pagan.

:thumbsup: And have them come to this site too!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.