Who is the Whore of Babylon?

I know some Protestants seem to think it’s the Catholic Church, or that the Catholic Church will at least have something to do with it, but I’m interested to know what y’all(I know that sounds really intelligent…y’all haha, but oh well) think?

I’m pretty sure the Catholic Church is.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Oh, good so I was right, lol.

More seriously, I’ve only ever heard the Whore of Babylon referenced within that context.

A few days ago I was talking to an Evangelical friend, and I mentioned something along those lines. She didn’t know what I was talking about, so I had to explain that the Pope is the anti-Christ and the Church is the Whore of Babylon, and I advised her to brush up on her Fundamentalism.

(and I did all of it with sarcasm and it was a joke, a satire, and she completely understood the frame of reference from which I was speaking, and there was nothing more to it than that. So you can put your flamethrowers down now. :D)

Disgusting saying, would the Protestants liked to be called The Devil Worshippers.
Catholics are Christians and we don’t stoop to that gutter level of stupidity, I don’t even know what they are even trying to imply whatever it is its uncharitable, downright ignorant, and they should be ashamed of themselves and need to confess to the Lord directly how stupid they are. They should be looking at the plank in there own eye instead of the splinter in there brothers.

You might like the book Coming Soon by Michael Barber. It goes into Revelations verse by verse in a Catholic perspective. There are two Romes: Pagan Rome, and Christian Rome (what came after). The Whore of Babylon, to my recollection, is referring to Pagan Rome. In fact, Peter coded Rome as Babylon in one of his writings as well. Remember, Revelations was talking to those being persecuted in Pagan Rome. Hope that helps. It’s not talking about Christian Rome. As an additional point, the Vatican doesn’t even sit on Rome’s seven hills; it’s east of the Tiber river.

• I’m an ex-Protestant who wasn’t taught these huge extra details. My teachers (pastors) either didn’t know these details, or they were trying to slam the church, which I’m now assuming was both. It takes studying, and that book will very much help you.

ps. Here’s the link to the book, by the way.

amazon.com/Coming-Soon-Unlocking-Revelation-Applying/dp/193101826X

Catholic Answers has a tract on this subject, The Whore of Babylon.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.