Who is your favorite holy person not yet in Heaven?

(Some people were not comfortable with this specific question as holiness is hard to discern sometimes. )

So, if you would rather answer, who inspires you the most? Or your favorite person involved in evangelizing and teaching the faith?

I was thinking mainly of a religious, priest, brother, sister. But if you can’t think of one and really want to put a member of the laity that’s OK.

Tell a bit about them and why you like them, plus a link if you want.

The person has to be still alive, as in Church Militant.

Well, all holy devout priests who preach the TRUTH.

5 Likes

Well, that’s a start. :slight_smile: But you can do better! Come on.

Our Third Order Fraternity’s Spiritual Assistant. He is a truly Holy Franciscan Friar.

2 Likes

Pope Francis who I know is already a Saint!!! I just love him.

6 Likes

Pope Francis for sure! I love that he truly follows in the ways of Christ! The funniest way you can tell is because both republicans and democrats have plenty of bad things to say about him :wink:

Edit: One of my favorite political cartoons…
pope_political_cartoon

14 Likes

My mother :slight_smile: :blossom:

9 Likes

A very humble priest, by the name of Father Tim. He was my Confessor, until he got assigned to a parish in Conway.

1 Like

My favorite holy religious is Sister Briege Mckenna. I just love her for so many reasons. Not the least of which is her very deep devotion to adoration of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament. There is just so much to tell about her, really. This short little video is only the tip of the iceberg…

3 Likes

Can you nominate yourself? :thinking:

7 Likes

3 Likes

3 Likes

Maturity is over rated.

2 Likes

I will go with a very personal answer. My wife. She is the strongest woman of prayer I know. She is currently undergoing a rather difficult treatment for serious illness, and in the midst of it, she has been the staunchest of witnesses for Christ. Her doctor has even spoken to her about helping with others deal with the process after she is done with her treatment as a volunteer. I truly believe I am seeing a saint in the making, not that I would tell her that, what with the old, run the race, take heed least you fall, and all that.

But she never reads the posts here.

9 Likes

If you’d asked me a few years ago I could have said my mother, or Mother Theresa.

Now that Mother Theresa is in heaven according to the Church, and I have a pretty good idea that my own mother is there as well (long story but I have reason to think that) then I am honestly not sure who as a living person impresses me as being that holy. I have several priests that I admire, and all of them are holy to a degree, but beyond that point they have human failings and qualities that don’t quite put them up on the holy-holy level for me. Which is fine, they are human, etc. but does not help me answer the OP’s question.

I’m also a bit hesitant to see priests and people I know as “holy” because they could very easily be doing sinful things behind my back, or might suddenly behave in a way I don’t think is holy.

1 Like

A priest that my husband and I knew over 20 years ago … his name was Father John … my husband was without a religion and it took him one day to get my husband all excited about joining the Catholic Church … all my prayers and devotions had done nothing for 15 years, and this priest did it in one day. We both grew to know him quite well and love him … what we loved most about him was his great love of our Lord and the truly deep spirituality that just seemed to flow from him in such a way that it was contagious. God Bless Father John wherever he is today … they transferred him to another parish far away a long time ago … we miss him but remember what he taught us.

5 Likes

I would not say your prayers and devotions did nothing, Father John’s arrival may well have been the very fruit of all that praying.

6 Likes

Come on now. Surely someone would like to answer, pretty please.

Do I have to make up a critical thread about some person in the church to get a bunch of replies? :thinking:

Okay, okay, but please, don’t start that thread! I’ll answer, though it seems like my favorite holy person is no one really extraordinary. There is a woman in my parish who is gentle and kind to others, participates in adult faith formation programs offered by the parish (that’s how I met her), and prays regularly. I see her husband at our men’s bible study and he sings her praises. He is a good guy, though not without minor personality faults, and he would be the first to admit that she is holier than he, and that he is blessed to have her. I would agree that she is his better half. I see them both at Mass. I guess they are in their 60s, and they have children and grandchildren.

3 Likes

I guess one other person who struck me as holy was an older, retired attorney I knew who did a lot of pro bono work for people on death row who he thought had been wrongly convicted or too harshly sentenced. He was really upbeat and enthusiastic about this work and about just keeping up encouraging correspondence with the prisoners and getting other attorneys excited about working on these cases. It is difficult to be upbeat in some of these circumstances, but he managed it. And apart from that he seemed to be a happy person with a nice balanced life who was like I said donating his time because he was past retirement age. We never talked about religion, except a little bit with one prisoner who had found Jesus in prison and become a minister, but holiness is also apparent in how one treats other people.

2 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.