Who is your..

Who is your favorite Carmelite Saint and why ?

Oh gosh, you’re making me choose between the two Teresas! :eek:

My vote is for St Teresa of Avila. I’ve only read ‘Interior Castle’ but golly gosh, what an incredible read it was! It really resounded with me on a personal level.

Also she was my house saint at school. All I knew about her at the time was her feast day (we got a free doughnut on her feast day) and that she was the patron saint of headaches. I thought she couldn’t possibly be more uncool. How little did I know, eh?! :rolleyes:

God bless you! :thumbsup:

A tie between St. Therese of Lisieux, and St. John of the Cross, because both saints are the patrons of my Church, which is used to be a Carmelite Novitiate.

What is a Candle Catholic or a Cafeteria one for that matter, I am a Convert so never heard those expressions, surely one is a Catholic or lapsed, please explain. Most disgruntled Catholics find a Protestant denomination that fits with there ideas , but not the Catholic Church.
Thank you, I look forward to your answer

St. Therese of Lisieux, no question. I’ve been re-reading her Story of a Soul at least twice a year for about 25 or 30 years now, and learn something new each time! Her “Little Way” fits me perfectly, as I’m not a “Big” person as far as theology or spirituality is concerned. I’ve read “Interior Castles” several times, but it’s mostly beyond me. St. Therese’s Little Way fits me perfectly, and I can follow it. She’s definitely my favorite saint, second only to the Blessed Virgin, who has always been Number One in my personal Saints!

Pax Christi!

I’m not sure how this relates to the original post, but…

A cafeteria Catholic picks and chooses when to accept Church teachings. While I’ve never heard the. expression “candle Catholic”, I can guess that it refers to a devout Catholic without qualms, who even lights a devotional candle now and then. I am such a person.

God bless.

P.S. St. Therese of Lisieux gets my vote.

I second your vote. She is one of the first Saints (after St. Bernadette) that I read about around the age of 5 or 6. I really knew of no other Saints other than these two, until I saw the movie as a child about Fatima.

As much as I like John of the Cross, St. Teresa of Avila gets my vote (for now at least). I was baptized in a church named for her and I named by youngest after her.

Of course there are many of Carmelite saints than those most famous three:

St. Albert of Jerusalem
St. Albert Trapani
St. Andrew Corsini
St. Angelus
St. Edith Stein (Teresa Benedicta of the Cross)
St. Joachina de Vedruna
St. John of the Cross
St. Mary Magdalen de’Pazzi
St. Nuno Alvares Pereira
St. Peter Thomas
St. Simon Stock
St. Teresa Margaret Redi
St. Teresa of Jesus
St. Teresa of Jesus “of los Andes”
St. Therese of the Child Jesus

And quite a few Blesseds

Bl. Aloysius (Luis) Rabata
Bl. Angelus Mazzinghi
Bl. Anne of St. Bartholomew
Bl. Archangela Girlani
Bl. Bartholomew Fanti
Bl. Baptist Spagnoli of Mantua
Bl. Denis and Redemptus
Bl. Elizabeth of the Trinity
Bl. Frances D’Amboise
Bl. Francis Palau y Quer
Bl. Jane Scopelli
Bl. John Soreth
Bl. Josepha Naval Girbés
Bl. Kuriakos Elias Chavara
Bl. Maria Mercedes Prat
Bl. Maria Pilar
Bl. Maria Angeles
Bl. Mary of Jesus
Bl. Mary of Jesus Crucified
Bl. Mary of the Angels
Bl. Mary of the Incarnation
Bl. Raphael Kalinowski
Bl. Teresa of St. Augustine
Bl. Titus Brandsma

St. Teresa of Avila. She chose me when I “met” her in Spain and she is my Confirmation saint.

Ste Therese of Avila because of her perseverance during those years where she felt nothing when she was praying.

I don’t wanna drag the thread off-topic but will quickly reply. Cafeteria Catholic is as the other poster said. Candle Catholic is someone who doesn’t really attend church services much but tends to go in the quiet hours where the church is open but nothing is going “on” as such, to light candles for certain intentions.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.