Who just needs greater understanding?

This poll is a spin-off from the thread “The Papal Claims”, and in particular this post:

While the poll is for Catholics, Protestants and Orthodox are welcome to post their answer to the question from their p.o.v.

(Also, I think it goes without saying that I couldn’t anticipate all possible responses.)

I’d meant to include that in the poll-question, btw.

BTW, the poll question was meant to be “To whom does the following statement apply: What we need for reconciliation is not to give up any of our respective beliefs or ecclesiologies, but rather mutual understanding.”

I don’t know which is the best answer, but I really like the thrust of your question. I think the Holy Spirit can guide us to unity.

Jon

The poll question is "
To whom does the following statement apply: What we need for reconciliation is not to give up any of"

I am completely baffled. I do not understand what you are saying.

Neither do I.

Sorry Ignatius and Leif. The poll question should be

“To whom does the following statement apply: What we need for reconciliation is not to give up any of our respective beliefs or ecclesiologies, but rather mutual understanding.”

(It got cut off because it’s too long; and the system doesn’t permit me to go back and change it.)

Thank you for your interest.
-Peter.

Perhaps you should put up a box for “Only Catholics”? Though I don’t know if you have the option to edit your poll this late in the game . . .

Catholics have the fullness of the truth and therefore do not need to change their beliefs. The Orthodox do not accept the infallible authority of the Pope, and they must change in this respect. All Christians except Catholics are deprived of the fullness of the truth, though they have varying degrees of truth (the Orthodox much more, and Protestants in varying degrees much less). But all non-Catholics need to change.

I need a box for only Catholics don’t need to change.

Lief,

The second to last option is “I disagree with the statement, period”. Granted, I could have made that “Catholics only”, but I think that would have been too confusing. (The poll question is about ecumenical dialogue, not intra-Catholic dialogue.)

I don’t mean this to be an “easy-out,” but I think ultimately the answer to the poll is the Catholics and Orthodox.

In the case of both the Catholic/Orthodox and Catholic/Protestant rifts, I think that if everyone could take a mental time machine and consider the state of the Church at each time we might be able to reconcile our problems.

The Orthodox have a stronger claim than the Protestants and I don’t mean that to be inflammatory to the Protestants. I just feel that the Church had problems at the time and a few very charismatic individuals got a little overzealous. For that matter, Hilaire Belloc would even argue that Luther himself would be horrified to learn what had developed. Reformation was necessary, yes, but I think what we got instead was a Revolution.

I think there are answers and reconciliation possible, but the compromise will have to be heavy in the case of the Protestants and possibly to a lesser extent with the Orthodox (though I freely admit I don’t know much of their position).

RAR

What I did was just read the TITLE of this thread. It was much easier for me to understand. It is NOT the Catholic Church that needs UNDERSTANDING. It is the others that need understanding. Why would the Catholic Church need understanding? :shrug: We already understand what the true faith is. I think the question was not stated correctly. From the title of this thread I would gather that Peter meant "Who just needs greater understanding for the churches/faiths to unite?" Please correct me if I’m wrong. I already took the poll and I just voted “none of the above” but I should have voted “I disagree with the statement, period.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.