Who loves classical/romantic music?

Mahler or Mozart? Holst or Handel? What's your favorite? What can't you stand? What can't you live without?

My favorite is Mahler, any of the symphonies really. I also have a large collection of recordings of The Planets by Gustav Holst.

Other favorites, the Mahler 5th and 7th, the Tchaikovsky 6th and any recording with Hilary Hahn.

Favorite violinists? Conductors? Orchestras?

[quote="woodland_poet, post:1, topic:215208"]
Mahler or Mozart? Holst or Handel? What's your favorite? What can't you stand? What can't you live without?

My favorite is Mahler, any of the symphonies really. I also have a large collection of recordings of The Planets by Gustav Holst.

Other favorites, the Mahler 5th and 7th, the Tchaikovsky 6th and any recording with Hilary Hahn.

[/quote]

Mahler 5 is a gem, but my personal favorite classical piece is Pictures at an Exhibition.

Tough there are so many.

I really enjoy:
-Mozart's Requiem
-Bach's Cello Suites (I like Edgar Myer's recording where he plays them on a double base, impressive technically, and so forlorn and melancholy, its beautiful).
-Max Bruch's Scottish Fantasy
-Ralph Vaughn Williams' Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis
-Chopin's Piano works in general :p
(Choral music of almost any kind is my absolute favorite, but there is so much and much of it is so obscure that I won't get in to it).

What I can do without?
Most operas
Marches
Wagner

I know nothing about classical music but ...I love most of John Taverner's music (1490-1545).

I also like some of John Tavener's music (1944-

(Their two names are misspelled a lot.)

youtube.com/watch?v=-9fPoigD0wY

youtube.com/watch?v=jvLO-IZris0&feature=related

youtube.com/watch?v=gcanQiletX0&feature=related

youtube.com/watch?v=ghFgceo0d60&feature=related

I’ve heard the Tallis Singers on various songs on youTube - I really liked them.

As a teenager Im more than proud too say that I listen to Handel, Mozart, Bach, Vivaldi, and Johann Pachelbel as well as the Mormon Tabernacle choir.

Just some samples of my favorite pieces
youtube.com/watch?v=6wpPk8qk3uQ

youtube.com/watch?v=M-WF0PVi2FA

youtube.com/watch?v=6KUDs8KJc_c

youtube.com/watch?v=c-dHxJNsxJc

youtube.com/watch?v=2bosouX_d8Y

youtube.com/watch?v=lJBxK0IQ6XE

Me!:slight_smile: Are there any good free MP3 classical download sites? I’m poor!:rolleyes:

[quote="3DOCTORS, post:7, topic:215208"]
Me!:) Are there any good free MP3 classical download sites? I'm poor!:rolleyes:

[/quote]

Free? None that I can think of, but Amazon has entire classical album downloads for as little as $4.

[quote="bkayw, post:5, topic:215208"]
I've heard the Tallis Singers on various songs on youTube - I really liked them.

[/quote]

Best song, great performance here:youtube.com/watch?v=Cn39RzlhSao

I especially love Dvorák, Beethoven, and Vivaldi...but I can't say I dislike any classical music. At my wedding, I walked down the aisle to Buxtehude.

Miz

[/quote]

Try video2mp3.net/ It's a websites that converts youtube videos to mp3. It's free, it's reliable, you DONT need to sign up for anything, there is NO limit. Try it. I did, and because of this site my mp3 has 166 songs in it...ALL OF THEM converted from youtube videos.:thumbsup:

[quote="woodland_poet, post:1, topic:215208"]

[/quote]

Definitely Renee Fleming. :thumbsup: (But not her dreadful karoake 'covers' album.) I love her version of "You'll Never Walk Alone":
youtube.com/watch?v=jrhDWKrRGCo

[quote="CatholicOf94, post:11, topic:215208"]
Try video2mp3.net/ It's a websites that converts youtube videos to mp3. It's free, it's reliable, you DONT need to sign up for anything, there is NO limit. Try it. I did, and because of this site my mp3 has 166 songs in it...ALL OF THEM converted from youtube videos.:thumbsup:

[/quote]

THANKS!! I'll check it out!:thumbsup:

youtube.com/watch?v=6-EwwrzRQdI

youtube.com/watch?v=nzZkZDNg_Mc&feature=related

youtube.com/watch?v=0UbAm8B2rhA&feature=related

youtube.com/watch?v=VARbFve23ds&feature=related

Vaughn Williams Symphony No 3

anything by Cleveland Orchestra under George Szell, Beethoven esp., for Mahler I like Solti's Chicago Symphony, I prefer symphonic music to smaller ensembles but will listen to anything, prefer romantic over baroque, and either to anything 20th century. Currently looking for re-masters of anything recorded by Ansermet. Not to big on chorale or opera. absolutely hate carmina burana, and not fond of Wagner at all.

Aaron Copeland - just about anything of his
Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody no. 2 (piano or orchestra, I've heard both)
Gustav Holst's St.Paul Suite
Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue
Vaugh Williams's The Lark Ascending
Bizet's Carmen Suite

To name a few. If you want to listen to classical music for free, allclassical.org out of Portland, OR broadcasts on the web. Just go to the website. They're listener supported so you don't have to worry about commercials and they play a variety of pieces. If you like a piece they're playing (they keep playlists of everything they play), you can click on the title and download. I don't know what it costs. They also have several programs that focus on different areas of classical music such as The Score which all about music from movies.

I love classical/romantic and baroque. My favorite composer of all is Tchaikovsky (and I personally prefer his 4th to his 6th). I also very much enjoy his ballets, and other works like Romeo and Juliet, the Piano Concerto, Francesca da Rimini ... oops, getting carried away.

I also like Beethoven, Chopin, and Vivaldi. And pretty much anything else in this genre.

[quote="Melissa, post:17, topic:215208"]
I love classical/romantic and baroque. My favorite composer of all is Tchaikovsky (and I personally prefer his 4th to his 6th). I also very much enjoy his ballets, and other works like Romeo and Juliet, the Piano Concerto, Francesca da Rimini ... oops, getting carried away.

I also like Beethoven, Chopin, and Vivaldi. And pretty much anything else in this genre.

[/quote]

Oh, how can you prefer the fourth to the sixth? Such profound longing is the sixth! Tears, pages and pages of tears! Joy and tears! But the fourth is magnificent! And the piano concerto! Have you the Van Cliburn version? Francesca da Rimini? Excellent! The Seranade for Strings? Have you ever heard the Manfred Symphony?

[/quote]

Deutsche Welle podcast Beethovenfest: dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,2142515,00.html

This year's looks loaded w/orig works (boo! hiss) but scroll down you can get past years, I think you can still get all from both iTunes and RSS.

Musopen musopen.com/
Free sheet music and MP3s. Not from big name orchestras, e.g. I d/l'ed some Skidmore College and some Wagner IIRC from the USAF Band or some such.

Here's a list of podcasts of classical music.

My absolute favorite is Claude Debussy's "Claire de Lune".
My mum is a very good pianist and organist - she played the organ at our church here in Cape Town for many years. She is not very well now (getting older) and struggles to play. She played this piece beautifully. When she goes, I will always think of her when I hear this piece of music played...

Another seldom talked about piece is the theme tune to the movie Forrest Gump! Seriously! It plays at the end of the movie when the credits roll by... (part of it plays at the start of the movie also)
If you are lucky enough to have someone to love, grab that special person in your life, lay them down on the bed next to you in the dark and play the Forrest Gump suite.... it really is a lovely piece of music... sure to bring you both to tears... :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.