Who made the Apostle's Creed?

I was going through my country’s government website and came across the “religion” forum. The question of the original post was:

Why do we stay as CATHOLICS?

One poster said:

Does a Catholic who disagrees with the Pope, no longer Catholic?." (sic)

Catholic refers to a universal church; as we say in our creed:

“I believe in the holy Ghost, the holy catholic church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body and the life everlasting”.

This is not the creed of the Church of Rome, but the Apostles’ Creed of the Church of England. The Church of England is Catholic (by ministry) and reformed/Protestant (by the 39 articles). So, yes, one can be a catholic and not have any truck with the pope, the Vatican or anything else associated with that wretched organisation. I think the (Anglican) Church of England does have a province in the RP; it’s called, if my memory serves me correctly, the Episcopal Church of the Philippines

Here is the website:

gov.ph/forum/thread.asp?rootID=64485&catID=24&page=2

Would anyone know how we got the Apostle’s Creed?

The story is told in the 4 volume work of Ven. Mary of Agreda, called “The Mystical City of God”. Mary of Agreda was a Spanish nun who received revelations on the life of the Blessed Mother. If you have not read this book, you must. It is extremely edifying and very instructive. It has been highly recommended by numerous Popes over the centuries.

In the book, she tells how the apostle’s Creed came to be: The apostles were gathered together, when the Holy Ghost descended upon them. Each of the apostles, under the inspiration of the Holy Ghost, spoke one of the articles of the Creed.

I will try to locate the event in the book and post it for you. She tells which apostles is responsible for speaking eac part of the Creed.

Just a question that occurred to me. If the apostles wrote it - under the inspiration of the Holy Ghost … why isn’t it or wasn’t it included in the Canon of the Holy Bible?

Because not everything was written down in the Bible, John 20, 30; John 21,24 “This is that disciple who giveth testimony of these things, and hath written these things; and we know that his testimony is true. 25 But there are also many other things which Jesus did; which, if they were written every one, the world itself, I think, would not be able to contain the books that should be written.” The Bible was never intended to be an “everything you needed to know” type of Book.
2 Cor 3, “Being manifested, that you are the epistle of Christ, ministered by us, and written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in the fleshly tables of the heart.”

Hi Tom - thanks for the response. I understand Jesus did many other things that were not recorded.

But here it appears we have a clear “synopsis” of Chrisitan teaching that came from the Apostles under the inspiration of the Holy Ghost - seems to have met the criteria for inclusion… so just wondering why it wasn’t.

I just noticed that this lady had a “vision” that the Apostles said those things…was her vision inspired? If she wrote it from what the Apostles said verbally, why didn’t the Apostles write it?

Just to things that I am pondering.

Since the vision in question was a private revelation it is not considered a “fact”, simply a possibility. I’ve often wondered why His teachings, say on all the Scripture that prophesied about Him, or the teachings He gave during those 40 days between His resurrection and His ascension weren’t written down. Certainly they should have been included.

Hello!

Thanks for your replies. I will look up the books of Ven. Mary of Agreda.

What you said was very interesting. :slight_smile:

The poster from the other website I mentioned seems to think that the Apostles Creed was from the Church of England.

I know our Catholic Church teaches it. I was surprised even my Protestant friends pray it. They tell me that when they say the part that says “Catholic”, they mean it with a small “c” as in “catholic”.

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a recorded history by what church the Apostle’s Creed was first used or introduced to Christians?

Here is an article on the history of the Creed;

newadvent.org/cathen/01629a.htm

Hope this helps. :tiphat:

It is very helpful.

Thank you very much. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.