Who made the Earth?

Who made the Earth? Was it the father alone? Or was it a work from all 3 persons of the holy trinity?

1 Like

God did

Next question

5 Likes

just god alone because neither the old or new trinity’s existed prior to the worlds creation.

1 Like

Creation is the common work of the Holy Trinity. (Catechism of the Catholic Church, 292)

5 Likes

God, yes, all three members of the Trinity.

“And now, O Lord, thou art our father, and we are clay: and thou art our maker, and we all are the works of thy hands.” (Isaiah 64:8)

“For in him [Christ] were all things created in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones, or dominations, or principalities, or powers. All things were created by him and in him.” (Colossians 1:16)

“The spirit of God made me, and the breath of the Almighty gave me life.” (Job 33:4)

And don’t we say “as it was in the beginning” in the Glory be?

3 Likes

OK, next question. Is there anything that G-d the Son (Jesus) did that G-d the Father did NOT do, or the reverse? For example, becoming Incarnate? Or is every act contained within all three distinct Persons of the Trinity? If the latter is the case, does each Person actually have a specific function?

1 Like

What does this mean? It doesn’t sound kosher to me. According to Christian belief, the Trinity ALWAYS existed even when it had not yet been revealed to mankind.

6 Likes

Yes e.g., GOD the Father sent HIS WORD aka His Son when Incarnate … and not the other way around.

2 Likes

There is only one God. The Holy Trinity is God. The Holy Trinity has ALWAYS existed.

2 Likes

II. CREATION - WORK OF THE HOLY TRINITY

[290] “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth”:128 three things are affirmed in these first words of Scripture: the eternal God gave a beginning to all that exists outside of himself; he alone is Creator (the verb “create” - Hebrew bara - always has God for its subject). The totality of what exists (expressed by the formula “the heavens and the earth”) depends on the One who gives it being.

[291] "In the beginning was the Word. . . and the Word was God. . . all things were made through him, and without him was not anything made that was made."129 The New Testament reveals that God created everything by the eternal Word, his beloved Son. In him "all things were created, in heaven and on earth… . all things were created through him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together."130 The Church’s faith likewise confesses the creative action of the Holy Spirit, the “giver of life”, “the Creator Spirit” ( Veni, Creator Spiritus ), the “source of every good”.131

[292]( The Old Testament suggests and the New Covenant reveals the creative action of the Son and the Spirit,132 inseparably one with that of the Father. This creative co-operation is clearly affirmed in the Church’s rule of faith: “There exists but one God. . . he is the Father, God, the Creator, the author, the giver of order. He made all things by himself , that is, by his Word and by his Wisdom”, “by the Son and the Spirit” who, so to speak, are “his hands”.133 Creation is the common work of the Holy Trinity.

1 Like

There is one will in the Holy Trinity, and two wills in Christ. No one person of the Trinity acts independently.

Circumincession (Modern Catholic Dictionary)

The mutual immanence of the three distinct persons of the Holy Trinity. The Father is entirely in the Son, likewise in the Holy Spirit; and so is the Son in the Father and the Holy Spirit; and the Holy Spirit in the Father and the Son.

Circuminsession also identifies the mutual immanence of the two distinct natures in the one Person of Jesus Christ.

2 Likes

There’s actually definitive teaching on this I can look up in my copy of Ott’s Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma. I’m watching my daughter at the moment so I’m not sure I’ll have the opportunity just now, but I’ll give it a shot.

1 Like

Thanks. But take care of your daughter first.

1 Like

The answer can only be No if anyone says yes then they have divided the trinity. God ( the father) Jesus (the word of God) the Holy spirit ( teacher guide)

Of course. She’s amusing herself right now and I’m right next to her, and the book was on the shelf in the same room. So long as she’s content I’m good to type.

So the part of Ott’s book I am referencing takes up a few pages, but I’ll see if I can sum up parts of it.

First, there’s a distinction between actions within God that terminate within God (ad intra), and actions within God that terminate external to God (ad extra).

For the “ad intra” we have the internal processions: the notional knowing through which the Father generates the Son, and notional willing (love) through which the Father and Son breathe the Holy Gost.

We hold that the ad extra activities of God (ie the creation of the world, theophanies, etc…) are common to all three persons. Even the Incarnation is the common work of all three. The Father and Spirit are in Christ as they are in the Son, and when the Holy Spirit indwells within a person the Father and Son do, too as they are in the Holy Spirit. The theological term is perichoresis.

The Divine Person of the Son/Word/Logos/Wisdom is who assumed a human nature to himself. However, the Father and Holy Spirit are in the Son, and they all three operate ad extra as one, so the Incarnation was the common work of all three.

A quick point of clarification on the ad intra operations. These are essential to God. The Father doesn’t choose to generate the Son or spirate the Holy Spirit. These processions and the relations taken from them are the only real distinctions between the persons, too. It’s not three minds or three wills that just happen to be in accord. We also sometimes “appropriate” in speech the common external works of God to individual persons of the Trinity as a matter of highlighting and emphasizing the internal relations of the Trinity to each other, but it is still understood as the common work of all three persons as one God.

Sorry if this is disjointed, I started and stopped a few times to put my daughter down for a nap.

2 Likes

Interesting explanation, as always. Thank you.

I don’t you guys are understanding the point. you’re using by the time some sort of text already existed. not using any examples prior to mankind. also if the trinity always existed which one?

@sebastiann you say that you’re Catholic, didn’t they cover this during your Religious Instruction?

There’s only One Holy Trinity. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

https://www.catholic.com/magazine/online-edition/explaining-the-trinity

1 Like

I was wondering if you could explain me this quote. What does it mean that " ‘by the Son and the Spirit’ who, so to speak, are ‘his hands’ " ?

The reference to his hands is to St. Irenaeus, Against Heresies (Book IV, Chapter 20, No. 1) noting that the Holy Trinity is omnipotent:

It was not angels, therefore, who made us, nor who formed us, neither had angels power to make an image of God, nor any one else, except the Word of the Lord, nor any Power remotely distant from the Father of all things. For God did not stand in need of these [beings], in order to the accomplishing of what He had Himself determined with Himself beforehand should be done, as if He did not possess His own hands. For with Him were always present the Word and Wisdom, the Son and the Spirit, by whom and in whom, freely and spontaneously, He made all things, to whom also He speaks, saying, Let Us make man after Our image and likeness; Genesis 1:26 He taking from Himself the substance of the creatures [formed], and the pattern of things made, and the type of all the adornments in the world.

http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/0103420.htm

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.