Who or what is the antichrist?

I have heard so much about this but nothing that is solid. I have also heard a lot of accusations against the Catholic Church in regards to it. Anyone got some good input?:banghead:

Sure…here ya go:
catholic.com/library/Hunting_the_Whore_of_Babylon.asp
catholic.com/library/The_Antichrist.asp

[quote=Church Militant]Sure…here ya go:
catholic.com/library/Hunting_the_Whore_of_Babylon.asp
catholic.com/library/The_Antichrist.asp
[/quote]

Thank you much!!!

Here is some information about what the Church teaches about the Antichrist.

*1) The gospel must be preached in the whole world (Matt 24:14; Mark 13:10), even though many will not accept its message (Luke 18:8)
2)Before Christ’s Second Coming there will be a great apostasy of religious defection (Matt 24:10-12; Luke 18:8, Thess 2:3, 2Tim 3:1-9) and the Antichrist will appear (2 Thess 2:3-12, 1 John 2:18,22; 2 John 7)
3)The “False Prophet” arrives and “apes” the role of Saint John the Baptist.
4)The Antichrist seizes total power and begins a 3 and one half year bestial persecution of the Church
5) During this period, the Two Witnesses (Enoch and Elias who never died. Enoch walked off with God and Elias was taken away in a firey chariot) return to the presence of men and preach to the people against Antichrist.
6) They will be killed (Enoch and Elias) and there bodies left in the streets for 3 and one half days, at the end of which a voice from Heaven will command the two to arise and they do to the terror of the onlookers.
7) The Jews as a nation will be converted after the full number of the Gentiles enter the church (Rom 11)
8) Antichrist, stung again by this miracle tried to restore his prestige with the Jews by simulating the Acension and St. Michael casts him down screaming to his death.

Not all of this is binding in faith mind you and not all is found in scripture. Look to the early Church Fathers and Doctors such as St. Jerome, St Thomas Aquinas, etc.

From the New American Bible for Catholics:

Revelation 13,18:

18 8 Wisdom is needed here; one who understands can calculate the number of the beast, for it is a number that stands for a person. His number is six hundred and sixty-six. The footnote (8) reads:

8** [18] Each of the letters of the alphabet in Hebrew as well as in Greek has a numerical value. Many possible combinations of letters will add up to 666, and many candidates have been nominated for this infamous number. The most likely is the emperor Caesar Nero (see the note on Rev 13:3), the Greek form of whose name in Hebrew letters gives the required sum. (The Latin form of this name equals 616, which is the reading of a few manuscripts.) Nero personifies the emperors who viciously persecuted the church. It has also been observed that “6” represents imperfection, falling short of the perfect number “7,” and is represented here in a triple or superlative form**.

The footnote cross-referenced in (8) above (3) reads.
3** [3] This may be a reference to the popular legend that Nero would come back to life and rule again after his death (which occurred in A.D. 68 from a self-inflicted stab wound in the throat); cf Rev 13:14; Rev 17:8. Domitian (A.D. 81-96) embodied all the cruelty and impiety of Nero. Cf Introduction.**

This makes it pretty likely that the Beast is the Emperor Nero. Nero, being a BAD person come back to life (after committing suicide!!) just as Christ came back to life would be the antithesis of Christ – literally the Anti-Christ.

While arguments can be made as to the identity of the Whore of Babylon, it isn’t really necessary. “Babylon” was Christian code for “Rome.” And in those days, Rome was not personified by the Pope, but by the Emperor. When anyone said “Rome did such-and-such” in those days, they meant the Emperor did it.

No… the Antichrist with a capital “A” will be one man who has a Jewish birthrite and he will try make people believe he is the Christ.

[quote=bogeyjlg]No… the Antichrist with a capital “A” will be one man who has a Jewish birthrite and he will try make people believe he is the Christ.
[/quote]

And your basis for saying that is . . . ?

[quote=bogeyjlg]No… the Antichrist with a capital “A” will be one man who has a Jewish birthrite and he will try make people believe he is the Christ.
[/quote]

Where do you get this information?

Same place I got the rest of the information. Look to the early Church Fathers.

[quote=bogeyjlg]Same place I got the rest of the information. Look to the early Church Fathers.
[/quote]

Which ones, in which writings?

Clearly not Polycarp nor Iranaeus.

[quote=bogeyjlg]Here is some information about what the Church teaches about the Antichrist.

1) The gospel must be preached in the whole world (Matt 24:14; Mark 13:10), even though many will not accept its message (Luke 18:8)
2)Before Christ’s Second Coming there will be a great apostasy of religious defection (Matt 24:10-12; Luke 18:8, Thess 2:3, 2Tim 3:1-9) and the Antichrist will appear (2 Thess 2:3-12, 1 John 2:18,22; 2 John 7)
3)The “False Prophet” arrives and “apes” the role of Saint John the Baptist.
4)The Antichrist seizes total power and begins a 3 and one half year bestial persecution of the Church
5) During this period, the Two Witnesses (Enoch and Elias who never died. Enoch walked off with God and Elias was taken away in a firey chariot) return to the presence of men and preach to the people against Antichrist.
6) They will be killed (Enoch and Elias) and there bodies left in the streets for 3 and one half days, at the end of which a voice from Heaven will command the two to arise and they do to the terror of the onlookers.
7) The Jews as a nation will be converted after the full number of the Gentiles enter the church (Rom 11)
8) Antichrist, stung again by this miracle tried to restore his prestige with the Jews by simulating the Acension and St. Michael casts him down screaming to his death.

Not all of this is binding in faith mind you and not all is found in scripture. Look to the early Church Fathers and Doctors such as St. Jerome, St Thomas Aquinas, etc.
[/quote]

I guess the false prophet would work kind of like the Benjamin Creme guy in this website and the anti-Christ would make claims like the maeytria dude:( This site is freaky:nope:
share-international.org/background/FAQ/faq_main.htm#anchor9

[quote=Lisa4Catholics]I guess the false prophet would work kind of like the Benjamin Creme guy in this website and the anti-Christ would make claims like the maeytria dude:( This site is freaky:nope:
share-international.org/background/FAQ/faq_main.htm#anchor9
[/quote]

Since in the First Epistle of John, he tells us the Antichrist is already in the world, I think we should look for someone who’s really OLD.http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

[quote=vern humphrey]Since in the First Epistle of John, he tells us the Antichrist is already in the world, I think we should look for someone who’s really OLD.http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon12.gif
[/quote]

Check the wild claims there,I suppose the anti-Christ manifested would make these exact claims:( This is just something close to the example given,I found a while back,I will not speculate,but he will not be invited to dinner either:eek:

If you really want a good explanation on the Antichrist read
**Trial, Tribulation and Triumph: Before, During and After Antichrist
by Desmond A. Birch

**It contains all the information compiled together and goes into lengthy detail on what is legitamint and what is not.

[quote=bogeyjlg]If you really want a good explanation on the Antichrist read
Trial, Tribulation and Triumph: Before, During and After Antichrist
by Desmond A. Birch

It contains all the information compiled together and goes into lengthy detail on what is legitamint and what is not.

[/quote]

And if you want the low-down on how the Earth was populated by critters from outer space, check out “Chariots of the Gods” by Erich Von Dannikin.http://forums.catholic.com/images/icons/icon12.gif

Hahaha… funny. But all the author’s evidence comes from either Church Tradition, the early fathers and doctors of the Church, and apparitoins and prophecies that the Church has said is good.

Why are you so mocking?

[quote=bogeyjlg]Hahaha… funny. But all the author’s evidence comes from either Church Tradition, the early fathers and doctors of the Church, and apparitoins and prophecies that the Church has said is good.

Why are you so mocking?
[/quote]

Who signed the Imprimatuer and the Nihil Obstat?

Read it for yourself.

[quote=bogeyjlg]If you really want a good explanation on the Antichrist read
Trial, Tribulation and Triumph: Before, During and After Antichrist
by Desmond A. Birch

It contains all the information compiled together and goes into lengthy detail on what is legitamint and what is not.

[/quote]

I second the recommendation. The book comes with great endorsements.

@vern
Today, only a very limited class of books such as catechetical works require the imprimatur.

[quote=tuopaolo]I second the recommendation. The book comes with great endorsements.

@vern
Today, only a very limited class of books such as catechetical works require the imprimatur.
[/quote]

Which is why Catholic Answers never bothers to get either the nihil obstat or the imprimatur?

(For those who just tuned it – check out the Library. Note that all the works there bear something like this::

NIHIL OBSTAT: I have concluded that the materials
presented in this work are free of doctrinal or moral errors.
Bernadeane Carr, STL, Censor Librorum, August 10, 2004

IMPRIMATUR: In accord with 1983 CIC 827
permission to publish this work is hereby granted.
+Robert H. Brom, Bishop of San Diego, August 10, 2004 )
[left]

Now, if you want to seriously argue something is acceptable to the Catholic Church, show me the nihil obstat and imprimatur.[/left]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.