Who (or What) received the 'Keys?"

If Peter is just the “Pebble”, who (or what) recieved the keys? Did Jesus give to himself the keys? How does one give to oneself what is already possessed? Did Jesus hand the keys the the “Confession” that He was the Messiah, the Annointed of the Lord? How does the Confession ‘Bind and Loose?’

Based upon some thoughts the conversation went like this:

Jesus: “Who do you say that I AM?”

Peter: “You are the Son of the Living God, the Messiah, the Lord”

Jesus: “Blessed are you Simon son of Jonah. Man has not revealed this to you but my Father in heaven. You, Peter, are a little Pebble. And upon this Rock (pointing to Himself…or the ‘Words of Peter’s confession’ still hanging in the air…I will build My Church. I give you (again pointing to Himself or the Word Bubble) the “Keys” of Heaven and Earth. What you bind on earth will be bound in heaven and what you loose on earth willl be loosed in heaven.”

Who received the keys? Why quote Isaiah?

Jesus is the Rock of Salvation and founder of the Church. This Truth does not mean that the Church was not founded upon Peter’s confession and with Peter’s leadership. Jesus could do both, neither of which detracts from His authority or Divinity.

Pax Christe

Oh no. Groan. Not the whole petra/petros thing AGAIN.

Jesus was NOT speaking Greek!

Repeat after me: Jesus was NOT speaking Greek.

He was speaking Aramaic. He didn’t say “Petra” OR “Petros” to Peter - he said “Cephas” (which simply means “rock”). When it was translated into Greek, the translator ran into a problem that Petra is a feminine noun, and Peter couldn’t be called “Petra” in Greek because it would be a girl’s name. So the translator was forced to conjugate it masculine, which is “petros.” (English-speaking people are sometimes unaware that nouns in many languages have gender endings - the sun is a boy and the moon is a girl, etc).

Of course, those who use the term “Petra” as a reference to Jesus are saying (out of ignorance, of course) that Jesus was a girl as well. "-a" is a feminine ending.

Jesus said “Cephas,” which simply means “rock.” He said, “You,” (singular usage in the Greek, as opposed to the plural earlier usage, “who do ‘you’ say I am?”), "are ‘rock,’ and upon this ‘rock’ I will build my Church. No big rock. No pebble (which, by the way, is *lithos *in Greek, not petros). Just “rock.”

You can find the ACTUAL Aramaic name (ie, Cephas, not Petros) that Jesus gave Peter in several places in the Bible (Jn 1:42, 1Cor 1:12, 3:22, 9:5, 15:5, and Gal 2:9).

This has been discussed about a billion times.

David? I think our friend, Yada, is trying to use someone’s argument against them. To do this, correctly, you have to use their terms so that:
a) they won’t argue over points that aren’t pertinent to your thesis, and
b) you can show them how invalid their argument is.

A little charity here could have gone a long way. I think Yada made some great points in bringing up some further arguments against Protestants interpretations.

If you’re sick of a topic, I understand the “Back” button will return you to the menu without having to post anything.

Take Care and God Bless,

NotWorthy

NotWorthy, you are SO correct, and my apologies to YADA. I’m afraid I read the middle bits without sufficiently reading the first and last bits, and I misunderstood the post as yet another attempt to use the Greek distinctions against Catholics. Mea Culpa!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.