Who (person in Trinity) spoke in the Old Testament?

Who (person in Trinity) spoke in the Old Testament?

Specially in the book of Isaiah.

:thumbsup:

I thought it was Jesus because He is the Word Made Flesh.

Remember that whenever one Person of the Trinity acts All act. So, all of them.

I think it was God the Father.

Isaiah 44:6 ►New International Version

"This is what the LORD says-- Israel’s King and Redeemer, the LORD Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God.

This is the verse in Isaiah. The pronoun used here is first person singular. A OneNess Pentecostal member asked me who (in the Trinity doctrine) was speaking in that verse.

I answered him ANY of the three MAY HAVE SPOKEN on that verse.

What do you think?

According to the Creed (Nicene-Constantinopolan), it was the Holy Spirit:

[quote= “Nicene Creed”]I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son,
who with the Father and the Son is adored and glorified,
who has spoken through the prophets.

[/quote]

In addition, in the hymn “Come, Holy Ghost”, an ancient hymn found in the Roman Breviary, Verse 3 is

[quote=“Veni Creator Spiritus”]The sevenfold gifts of grace are thine/O finger of the Hand Divine/True promise of the Father Thou/Who dost the tongue with speech endow
[/quote]

(when singing this in English, usually the last line of each verse is repeated).

Finally, the early Christian prophets understood that their gift of prophecy came from the Holy Spirit. In 1st Corinthians, Paul lists prophecy as a gift to be preferred to the gift of tongues, as prophecy could be used to build up the community, while the gift of tongues was more self-and-God-focused.

In school, I was taught that the Holy Spirit does not speak. I, myself, just don’t know. So, I guess I would say you are right. The Hebrew Scriptures are so focused on God the Father, and the Jews do not recognize Christ as the Messiah, so I tend to think of the God of the Hebrews as being God the Father. I know all three persons of the Holy Trinity existed from eternity, however.

That’s what I thought too before. But it is clear in the Bible that the Holy Spirit speaks too.

=====
Acts 13New International Version (NIV)

13 1 Now in the church at Antioch there were prophets and teachers: Barnabas, Simeon called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen (who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch) and Saul. 2 While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.” 3 So after they had fasted and prayed, they placed their hands on them and sent them off.

That’s very interesting. Thank you! :slight_smile:

And thank you, too! :slight_smile:

I figure a lot of the OT to be the voice of Christ, as in Daniel 10:21 for example, Our Lord speaking of Michael the Archangel, regarding the powers of darkness;

“But I am to tell you what is inscribed in the book of truth. There is no one with me who contends against these princes except Michael, your prince.”

Of course the Father has a great voice in the OT, but the voice of Christ resonates in a lot of passages also.

Regarding the Holy Spirit, our Creed proclaims the it was He who has spoken through the prophets.

God bless

Don’t forget God is one in nature, so it would perfectly reasonable for the Hebrew to be in the first person singular. If someone were to ask me that question, I think I would simply say that YHWH spoke.

I think that you can refer to a nature as an individual, for example, consider this sentence: The tree creaked in the wind. We can all agree that a tree exists, has a “nature” but does not have a “person”. Thus it is the trees nature that is reflected in the singular, not its “person” hood.

But the question is: What person was speaking in the Hebrew Scriptures? There is one God, but three persons. Each person has his job to do. I think most of us would agree that it was not God the Father or God the Holy Spirit who became flesh and was crucified and resurrected. It was God the Son and only the Son.

The ancient Hebrews did not know God the Son (and the modern Jews still do not believe Jesus was the Messiah), so I believe it was God the Father speaking in the Hebrew Scriptures. Of course, the Holy Spirit did dwell in the prophets and allow them to speak the word of God.

Not sure I understand your analogy since all three persons of the Holy Trinity ARE persons.:confused:

Genesis 1:1 points to the Trinity: “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.” The Hebrew for God, as I expect most of you know, is Elohim. It is plural, but in the verse above, in the Hebrew, it is used with a singular verb. Usually, when the Bible speaks of Elohim, it is with a singular verb. Most biblical scholars agree that sometimes God refers to himself in the singular and sometimes in the plural. It depends on what is being described, the context of the book, chapter, or verse.

The OP’s question is really one of biblical scholarship that is probably too complicated to answer on a DB.

Isaiah was one of the greatest prophets, so in the Book of Isaiah, it was probably the Holy Spirit, at least most of the time:

Chapter 11 of Isaiah reads:

“The Spirit of the LORD will rest on him - the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, the Spirit of counsel and of power, the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD - and he will delight in the fear of the LORD. He will not judge by what he sees with his eyes, or decide by what he hears with his ears” (Isaiah 11:2,3).

Also in the Book of Isaiah:

“The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners” (Isaiah 61:1).

In chapter 63:

“Yet they rebelled and grieved his Holy Spirit. So he turned and became their enemy and he himself fought against them” (Isaiah 63:10).

It is in Genesis, at least at first, that we know the Spirit is not God the Father or God the Son, but a distinct person:

:Then the LORD said, ‘My spirit shall not abide in mortals forever, for they are flesh; their days shall be one hundred twenty years’" (Genesis 6:3).

You really would have to go through the entire Bible and judge each time God speaks on its own merits.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.