Who really killed the Prophet Muhammad??

Majority Muslims believe he died a natural death, some believe he was assassinated but dispute who did it The Quran confirms he was assassinated in the following verse.

Quran 3:144 “Muhammad is no more than a messenger: many were the messengers that passed away before him. If he died or is killed, will ye then Turn back on your heels?..”

The conjunctive (or) in this verse means “Rather”. In Arabic, sometimes (or) indicates uncertainty and probability. In other contexts, it imparts correction. Since it is next to impossible that any Muslim should suspect Allah’s word, since He has insight into the unknown, Allah must have intended to impart the other meaning. Accordingly a correct translation of the verse would be

Quran 3:144 “Muhammad is no more than a messenger: many were the messengers that passed away before him. If he died, rather, is killed, will ye then Turn back on your heels?..”

Therefore the verse confirms he will be killed and would not die a natural death.

The sunni hadith also confirms this.

Narrated Abdullah Ibn Massoud: “I am willing to take an oath nine times that the Prophet was murdered, but I am not willing to take an oath even once that he was not. This is because Allah made him a Prophet and a martyr as well.”

Source: Masnad Ahmed, Vol I, Page 408

It’s from this point onwards that Shia and sunni view on this subject diverge. While the sunni claim that the prophet was poisoned by the Jews, Shias stress that he was poisoned by his two wives Aisha and Hafsa, as commanded by their fathers Abu Bakr and Omar.

The belief that he died as a result of eating poison from the Jews is very unlikely for the following reason:

First, The incident of the poisoned meat took place in the year 7AH. (After the migration to media, also known as the Hijrah, which marks the 1st year of the Islamic lunar calendar), the prophet (pbuh&hf) died in the 11th year AH. This leaves a time gap of 4 years from when he allegedly ate the poisoned mean till his death. It is very unlikely that a person dies because of a poison he had taken so many years ago. It is also because generally the effect of poison is immediate and even if it takes time it cannot exceed a few months in which the health condition deteriorates gradually. In the case of the Prophet, we notice that he had been in the peak of his health and throughout the said four years he had no unusual health complaints. He would participate in the battles to defend Muslims as usual. Thus, it defies any logic that his health deteriorated suddenly and he died of a poison he had had taken more than four years ago despite the fact that he enjoyed good health throughout that intervening period.

Second, the story of his death by poison ingested 4 years before, was narrated by Aisha her self, we know that she has lied to her husband on several occasions and a woman, who would not abstain from lying to the noblest prophet, would not abstain from lying to ordinary people, either. Therefore, the Hadiths reported by her cannot be trusted, especially when she, herself, was accused of being involved in the murder of the Prophet.

Third, Aisha contradicted herself by claiming that he died of a tumor

Narrated Aisha: “Allah’s Prophet, (Peace be upon him), died of an internal tumor”!

Source: Masnad Abu Yoalla, Vol. 8, Page 258.

This confusion itself points fingers at her and even gives rise to suspicions about her.

Now, the shia view of the incident is as follows:

Narrated Ali ibn Ibrahim: “The Prophet said to Hafsa: I will tell you a secret. If you divulge it, Allah, His Angels and people will curse you. So, what is it? wondered Hafsa. The Prophet said: Abu Bakr will be able to seize the Caliphate and power after me, and will be succeeded by your father, Omar. Hafsa wondered: Who informed you of this?. (the prophet answered ) Allah, the Omnipresent, the Omniscient informed me. On the same day, Hafsa divulged the secret to her friend, Ayesha. In turn, Ayesha divulged the secret to her father, Abu Bakr. So, Abu Bakr came to Omar and said: My daughter Ayesha told me a secret reported by Hafsa, but I cannot always trust what Ayesha says. So, you ask your daughter Hafsa, make sure and tell me. Omar went over to Hafsa, and asked her. In the beginning, she was startled and denied it. But, Omar said to her: If you have indeed heard this secret, then, tell us so we can immediately seize power and get rid of Muhammad”. So, Hafsa said, yes, he told me that. At this point, those four got together and conspired to poison the Prophet”

Source: Tafseer al- Qommi, Vol 2, Page 367, Bihar-ul- Anwar by Allama al-Majlisi, Vol 22, Page 239

In another hadith, the prophet’s great grandson imam al-sadiq (as) accuses Aisha and Hafsa of poisoning his great grandfather.

Muhammad Ibn Massoud al-Ayashi related:
Imam al-Sadiq (Peace be upon him) was sitting with a group of his followers, and asked them: “Do you know whether the Prophet died a natural death or was murdered? Allah the Almighty says: “if then he died or is killed”. The truth is that the Prophet was poisoned in his last days before he died . Aisha and Hafsa administered poison in his food. Upon hearing this, Imam Sadiq’s followers said that they (Aisha, Hafsa) and their fathers were among the worst villains ever created by Allah.”

Source: Tafseer al-Ayashi, Vol 1, Page 200; Bihar-ul-Anwar, by Allama Al-Majlisi, Vol 22, Page 516

Quran 3:144 “Muhammad is no more than a messenger: many were the messengers that passed away before him. If he died, rather, is killed, will ye then Turn back on your heels?..”

If Mohammed is no more than a messenger (Rasul), than why he is called a prophet (Nabi)?

I know that Islam differentates between messenger and prophet. And I know that 3:144 isn’t just saying Mohammed is a human being, because Allah is always precise when he speaks in the Qu’ran: If he wanted to say Mohammed is only human, he would have said “Mohammed is no more than a man”.

So is Mohammed no more than a messenger, or is he a messenger and a prophet?

Hm…
will the sunny hunt you for understanding it the way you do?
BTW, if he was poisoned by his two wives who supposed to respect, adore and love him, what motive?

He forgot their wedding anniverseries :smiley:

Who cares?

I don’t know that they’ll hunt me down, I’m just a mere person. But I remember a conversation I had once with a Somali Sunni, he looked at me and said “you know, if you were in Somalia right now” and put his index finger to his neck and made a cutting motion.

Being a wife of a prophet doesn’t render them immune from going astray and following the wrong path, I don’t know enough about the bible to cite an example, maybe you can find one if it exists, but in the Quran we have the story of the wives of Noah and Lot (as) who deviated.

Quran 66:10 “God sets forth an example to those who disbelieve: the wife of Noah and the wife of Lot, they were both under two of Our righteous servants, but they acted treacherously towards them so they availed them naught against God, and it was said: Enter both the fire with those who enter.”

I thought Muslims deny Jesus died on the cross because Allah will not allow his messengers to suffer and die an unnatural death? Strange that Allah didnt protect Mohammad from his wives but it sounds logical to me. I suspect Aisha knew better than anyone that Mohammad was not a true prophet.

B***eing a wife of a prophet doesn’t render them immune from going astray and following the wrong path, I don’t know enough about the bible to cite an example, maybe you can find one if it exists, but in the Quran we have the story of the wives of Noah and Lot (as) who deviated***.

Oops…you’re again invoking the anger of the Sunni…!:smiley:
They regard Aisha as the mother of the believer!

Is being the Mother of believers equal, lower or higher in ranking as compared to a prophet?

This revelation does not put the Mother of believers in a good light. Muslims believe that a prophet did not sin and led examplary life, but what about your Mother of all believers?

It’s disappointing that Muhammad is still dead.

May he rest in peace. May God be merciful to his soul.

And
BTW, has Muhammad ever revealed himself to any of his believers to strengthen his belief?
Anyone know?

:o

The poisoning of Muhammed by that Jewish poison fulfil the prophecy that if Muhammed is a true prophet then he will not die:

Sahih Bukhari, Volume 7, Book 71, Number 669:
*“When Khaibar was conquered, Allah’s Apostle was presented with a poisoned (roasted) sheep. Allah’s Apostle said, “Collect for me all the Jews present in this area.” (When they were gathered) Allah’s Apostle said to them, “I am going to ask you about something; will you tell me the truth?” They replied, “Yes, O Abal-Qasim!” Allah’s Apostle said to them, “Who is your father?” They said, “Our father is so-and-so.” Allah’s Apostle said, “You have told a lie. for your father is so-and-so,” They said, “No doubt, you have said the truth and done the correct thing.” He again said to them, “If I ask you about something; will you tell me the truth?” They replied, “Yes, O Abal-Qasim! And if we should tell a lie you will know it as you have known it regarding our father,” Allah’s Apostle then asked, “Who are the people of the (Hell) Fire?” They replied, “We will remain in the (Hell) Fire for a while and then you (Muslims) will replace us in it” Allah’s Apostle said to them. ''You will abide in it with ignominy. By Allah, we shall never replace you in it at all.” Then he asked them again, “If I ask you something, will you tell me the truth?” They replied, “Yes.” He asked. “Have you put the poison in this roasted sheep?” They replied, “Yes,” He asked, “What made you do that?” They replied, “We intended to learn if you were a liar in which case we would be relieved from you, and if you were a prophet then it would not harm you.” *
[RIGHT]صحيح البخاري:
إن سألتكم عنه قالوا نعم فقال هل جعلتم في هذه الشاة سما فقالوا نعم فقال ما حملكم على ذلك فقالوا أردنا إن كنت كذابا نستريح منك وإن كنت نبيا لم يضرك ‏
[/RIGHT]

(E) (A)

**Sahih Bukhari, Volume 5, Book 59, Number 713: **
Narrated 'Aisha: The Prophet in his ailment in which he died, used to say, "O 'Aisha! I still feel the pain caused by the food I ate at Khaibar, and at this time, I feel as if my aorta is being cut from that poison.
[RIGHT]صحيح البخاري:
يا عائشة ما أزال أجد ألم الطعام الذي أكلت بخيبر ، فهذا أوان وجدت انقطاع أبهري من ذلك السم
[/RIGHT]

(E) (A)

Even there is a fatwa #(26/36) by five of our top Saudi clerics assuring that. :wink:

Maybe she also was out for revenge against him for robbing her of her childhood, forcing her to marry him at the age of nine.

Well there is always someone who claim that he has seen muhammed even though the wahhabis wouldnt accept such a thing because for them it is polytheism.

There is acctually a hadith to its preference where muhammad said, if anyone see me in a dream it is me, cause satan can not resemble me.

I dont remember the source but it should be easy to find out.

Being a mother in of itself has no special merit or ranking. The term “Mother of the Believers” is only meant as evidence for a legislative ruling, that is, the wives of the prophet are not to be re-married after he passes away. Just as a son can not marry his mother.

Also important to note is that other mother-son privileges don’t apply to the wives. For instance, a Muslim mother who observes the Hijab, doesn’t have to wear it in front of her children, but the wives of the prophet were required to observe wearing the Hijab in front of other men.

And finally, “mother of the believers” applies to the believing men only. In other words, the wives are mothers to the men, not the women.

It has been narrated that a woman said to Aisha “Oh mother, Aisha replied: I’m not your mother, I’m the mother of your men”

Source: Sunan Bayhaqi vol 7 page 70, tafsir qurtubi vol 14 page 123, tabaqaat by ibn Sa’ad vol 8 page 64

All this shows that the term mother of believers really is only limited to the legislation that believing men are not to marry the wives of the prophet after he passes away.

To answer the second part of your question, the wives can sin and have been warned against it in the Quran, In the verses above I gave the example of the wives of Noah and Lot. They have been condemned to hell. In the verse below, the wives of the prophet are warned that if they commit open indecencies the punishment would be doubled for them.

Quran 33:30 “O wives of the prophet, if any of you commits a gross sin, the punishment will be doubled for her. This is easy for God to do”

Being a wife or a mother doesn’t afford them any special merit or status. We respect them as long as they are righteous. A wife that commits sins, and crimes on the other hand like Aisha and Hafsa fall outside the scope of respect afforded to them by the term mother of believers.

It is narrated that the prophet requested of Ali (as) to divorce any disobedient wife on his behalf after he passes away.

“Oh father of Hassan…this is an honor from God almighty for obeying Him, if any of them (the wives) disobeys Allah after me, by fighting against you, then divorce her (from me) and strip her from the honor of mothers of the believers”

Source: Bihar vol32 page 267

You are the scholar of faith I have been looking for. You know of Bukhari and perhaps even the Sunnah. I am asking questions in the other threads. Tonight you go in my prayer.

I agree, and he did not die from the poison of the Jewish woman Zeinab bint al-harith. I should also point out that there are contradictory reports as to whether or not he actually ate the poison.

Aisha’s testimony is the only evidence used by sunni scholars to prove he died from poison. What is interesting to note however is that Aisha contradicted herself by first telling people that he died of a Jewish woman’s poison and then stating that he died of a tumor.

Famdigy…
I only know generally that the sunnis are different from the shiah. Perhaps this is not the thread to answer my inquiries, but I am just courious to know what makes or made you two different to each other?

Is this thread also one of the reason. You believe a portion of a story, while they believe other portion of a story?

Thanks
:slight_smile:

The division between Shia and Sunni dates back to the death of the Prophet Muhammad, and the question of who was to take over the leadership of the Muslim nation. Sunni Muslims agree with the position taken by many of the Prophet’s companions, that the new leader should be elected from among those capable of the job. This is what was done, and the Prophet Muhammad’s close friend and advisor, Abu Bakr, became the first Caliph of the Islamic nation. The word “Sunni” in Arabic comes from a word meaning "one who follows the traditions of the Prophet."
On the other hand, some Muslims share the belief that leadership should have stayed within the Prophet’s own family, among those specifically appointed by him, or among Imams appointed by God Himself.

The Shia Muslims believe that following the Prophet Muhammad’s death, leadership should have passed directly to his cousin/son-in-law, Ali. Throughout history, Shia Muslims have not recognized the authority of elected Muslim leaders, choosing instead to follow a line of Imams which they believe have been appointed by the Prophet Muhammad or God Himself. The word “Shia” in Arabic means a group or supportive party of people. The commonly-known term is shortened from the historical “Shia-t-Ali,” or “the Party of Ali.” They are also known as followers of “Ahl-al-Bayt” or “People of the Household” (of the Prophet).

From this initial question of political leadership, some aspects of spiritual life have been affected and now differ between the two groups of Muslims.

Shia Muslims believe that the Imam is sinless by nature, and that his authority is infallible as it comes directly from God. Therefore, Shia Muslims often venerate the Imams as saints and perform pilgrimages to their tombs and shrines in the hopes of divine intercession.

Sunni Muslims counter that there is no basis in Islam for a hereditary privileged class of spiritual leaders, and certainly no basis for the veneration or intercession of saints. Sunni Muslims contend that leadership of the community is not a birthright, but a trust that is earned and which may be given or taken away by the people themselves.

Shia Muslims also feel animosity towards some of the companions of the Prophet Muhammad, based on their positions and actions during the early years of discord about leadership in the community. Many of these companions (Abu Bakr, Umar, Aisha, etc.) have narrated traditions about the Prophet’s life and spiritual practice. Shia Muslims reject these traditions (hadith) and do not base any of their religious practices on the testimony of these individuals. This naturally gives rise to some differences in religious practice between the two groups. These differences touch all detailed aspects of religious life: prayer, fasting, pilgrimage, etc.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.