Who really said "Ask not what your country can do for you..."

I remember hearing that it was actually a Catholic priest back in the 30’s or 40’s who originated the quote, “Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country.”

JFK consistently gets credit for this, but I don’t think he is the source of that quote.

Can anyone help???

Couple links on the matter, some quotes in the first link even from the 1800s.

Link 1

Link 2 (the paragraph starting with “I read The Prophet…”

I am pretty sure it was Julius Ceasar. I read it somewhere…Roanoker

Dear Catholic Answers Forum members: Ask not what your Church can do for you. Ask what you can do for your Church.

I had a fortune cookie that read,

“Ask not what your fortune cookie can do for you. Ask what you can do for your fortune cookie.”

Seriously.

It has been attributed to George St. John, Headmaster at The Choate School during JFK’s time (class of 1935), but that has never been proven. If that’s true, perhaps Dr. St. John was paraphrasing Oliver Wendell Holmes.

Wasn’t it Benedict Arnold who said: Ask not what you can do to your country, ask what can your country do to you. :smiley:

Wikianswers says it was Theodore Roosevelt…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.