Who sang/chanted the Exsultet at your vigil Mass? (Or was it skipped completely?)

Who sang/chanted the Exsultet at your vigil Mass? (Or was it skipped completely?) My associate pastor did, and he did a very nice job. :)

This was actually the first time that I ever heard it in my entire life. Sometimes good things happen when you get fed up and change parishes.

[quote="Lepanto, post:1, topic:193462"]
Who sang/chanted the Exsultet at your vigil Mass? (Or was it skipped completely?) My associate pastor did, and he did a very nice job. :)

This was actually the first time that I ever heard it in my entire life. Sometimes good things happen when you get fed up and change parishes.

[/quote]

This year it was done by one of our cantors ....

... it is done every year ...

sometimes it has been done by a priest, sometimes a deacon or a cantor ... probably depending upon who is the most comfortable doing it [competant, accomplished in verse, etc]

one of the priests chanted it... and the Bishop celebrated the Mass :)

Our priest sang it. Such a glorious proclamation!

One of the concelebrating priests sang it.

Our parish priest sang it as a responsorial, accompanying himself on the guitar. Very impressive, melody he wrote himself. It was very moving (but mainly because he was very tuneful!)

The Priest did, but he wasn't very orthodox about it.

First off, he was filling in for the parish priest, who had to be at another parish, because there were 3 churches in the area having it at the same time. The assistant vicar was at one, the parish priest at another, so we had a fill-in.

He had pre-recorded it on a tape. He had a stereo in the sanctuary, with a microphone up to it, and let it play. It was in English, whereas I prefer it in Latin! It was horrible....:eek:

One of the cantors chanted it. Our priest saved his voice for chanting the gospel, blessing of the water, baptisms, as well as part of the Mass.

[LEFT]One of our deacons chanted it with a little backup in some parts from a small schola. A female singer in the schola chanted some parts by herself.

Our deacon has a nice voice but he gets a little nervous by himself and his voice quavers a bit. I think the schola helped bolster his confidence.
[/LEFT]

Solo and a cappella by a priest/cantor. Actually a monk who is visiting our abbey from our mother abbey in France, and who is also choirmaster at his abbey in France. It was chanted in French. I spoke to him on the phone before he chanted it, and he was very nervous saying he was more used to doing it in Latin :D

But he did a great job (for the record all of the hymns and the Kyriale were taken from the Graduale Romanum and chanted in Latin).

Our cantor, a young wife and mother with a beautiful singing voice, sang it this year, unaccompanied except for about the first bar of melody notes. She did a great job too.

Our pastor chanted it in Spanish, because he likes the Spanish translation better than the English. It is a very beautiful translation. The problem was that I think he was getting tired near the end, because he started to miss a few notes. But it is always beautiful to hear, nonetheless.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF :)

The priest chanted the exultet, unaccompanied. We always have it at our parish. It wouldn't seem right without it. :)

One of the deacons chanted it, who did it just beautifully. I love our priest, but his singing voice is . . . how shall we say . . . a joyful noise. :)

Our (male) music director/cantor. He did a good job.

Monsignor. It was beautiful.

I'm almost afraid to ask...if it was sung/chanted, was it met with applause afterwards?

[quote="Lepanto, post:17, topic:193462"]
I'm almost afraid to ask...if it was sung/chanted, was it met with applause afterwards?

[/quote]

Not at my parish. My parish is known for breaking into applause at inappropriate times. (And, in fact, did later in the Vigil.) But they did not applaud after the Exsultet, fortunately, even though it was chanted magnificently.

[quote="Lepanto, post:17, topic:193462"]

[/quote]

Nope. However, it would not be *completely *out of character for me to thank a priest for his efforts after mass.

One of our two deacons read it. :(

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.