Who should we pray to?

First there is the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit; there’s the Virgin Mary; there are saints whose intercession we can pray for; there are angels, etc.

When should we pray to whom and at what time is each the most appropriate?

Does it matter?

Good question, brickwall. I struggle with this too-- not on a theological level at all, but on a practical level. Do I divvy up my prayer time? How do others do it? Any insights from the community would be appreciated! :smiley:

I just pray to whoever comes to mind! I admit, I don’t do too much praying to Saints other than Mary. I also pray to my angel. :angel1:

And, of course, I say prayers to God.

I do a lot of praying which sounds more like a conversation. I don’t know a TON of prayers by heart :eek: (the basics, Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be, Hail Holy Queen), but not as many as others. So, I “talk.”

I’m interested to see what others think!!

most of my prayers I always have with God i have always believed that too be right then i usually do a prayer too the Blessed Mother then sometimes another Saint or Angel

by the way please answer my question :slight_smile: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=564093

I do not understand it when I see people spend more time asking for the intercession of Saints rather than praying to God Himself. In the end it is God who helps us regardless of whether we ask Him directly or indirectly through the intercessory prayers of the virgin Mary and other saints. But it is more spiritually beneficial to pray to God directly. There is a time to ask your neighbors and friends to pray for you, and the same holds true for the saints, but there is a time for you to set aside and be with God in prayer alone, not just because you want your requests granted but because it is good for the soul to have that one on one conversation with God through prayer.

I feel ya, bro. I do Lauds and Vespers (which are Father-oriented), and daily Mass many weekdays, followed by a chaplet where I use Rosary beads, but substitute prayers directed to Jesus for the Hail Marys. But most of my prayers are simply chats with the Boss.

DaveBj

My prayers of Adoration go directly to God (Father, Son and Holy Spirit).
My prayers of Contrition go directly to God.
My prayers of Thanksgiving go directly to God, or to the saint from whom I may have received intercession.
My prayers of Supplication are across the board! Anything goes. I have great devotion to the Blessed Mother and daily seek her guidance, protection, intercession, etc., but I also pray to St. Pio and St. Joseph very often. St. Michael the Archangel is also in my daily prayers for protection from evil (since he is the one who drove satan out of heaven). I also have a devotion to Cardinal O’Connor (past Archbishop of New York who died in 2000) even though he is not a saint (yet). I believe his intercession resulted in the miraculous conception and birth of my only child. I have specific favors I ask of St. Francis; and I often pray to saints on their feast days when I feel a connection to them for one reason or another.

Here’s how I have structured mine (and if I stuck to it I’d be really happy :getholy:):

First thing in the morning, a rosary. Some conversational prayer with God.
Morning tea, bible reading, with a quick prayer to Jesus or God asking for the graces to read well.
3pm, Divine Mercy chaplet, which is direct to God.
Bedtime, 3 Hail Marys and an Our Father, and conversational prayer direct to God.

At various times during the day, prayers relevant to the moment (St Anthony to find my keys, Mary to look after or pray for someone, God if I pass an ambulance or hear of a death, Guardian Angel to guide or protect me in a situation. I also like the St Michael prayer for protection.

Weekly, two Masses, both offered for the Holy Souls, and a quick prayer to Mary to be with me as I go to Communion, to help me to be ready to receive her Son.

I wonder if I’m supposed to have a relationship with the Holy Spirit, but to date I don’t really understand His role or who He really is.:blush: Gotta do some research, I guess.

+JMJ+

It actually depends on the Will of God. There are many people who God wills that they spend more prayers directly to Him. On the other hand, there are some people who God wills to have a more indirect relationship with Him, for example all those who God called to live the Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary.

No it doesn’t matter, as long as you begin and end with the Sign of the Cross.

Examine the words of the Sign of the Cross: “In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.” Next, consider these Bible verses:

1. Examine what Jesus said in St. Matthew’s Gospel: "…for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. " (Matthew 6:8)

2. Examine what Jesus said in St. John’s Gospel: “Whatever you ask in my name, I will do it, that the Father may be glorified in the Son; if you ask anything in my name, I will do it.” (John 14:13-14) Note what Jesus said two times. ;).

3. Finally, examine St. Paul’s words: “Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with sighs too deep for words.” (Romans 8:26)

In my experience it is more detrimental to be anxious on how to pray than just doing it, as long as I sincerely make the Sign of the Cross before and after each prayer, and then say the prayer sincerely. You see, the Sign of the Cross tosses the proverbial ball to God: you let Him take charge of your prayer. And that—subservience to God’s Will—is the best prayer of all.

God love you.

I pray to God first and foremost. Then to Mary, and then to Glorious Quis Ut Deus. And then I will pray to other saints. The only saints that I have prayed to in a long time are Blessed John Paul II [and I always add the great lol] and St. Augustine and St. Bernard of Clarvoux [man I hate French words they are hard to spell.]

I usually spend my time in short prayer. I do Adoration and the Liturgy of the Hours and Daily Mass.

Admonsta - There is a great book about the Holy Spirit that I enjoyed, and I would like to recommend it to you. I am still reading it and have learned much

The Sanctifier by Archiboshop Luis M. Martinez

Little One0307

Ooh, thank you Little One! I’ll definitely check it out.

YW, let me know what ya think of it if you start to read it. God bless.

It matters to me.When you are"praying" to a saint, or the Blessed Mother, you aren’t really praying to them. You are asking them to pray for you on your behalf, just like you would ask a trusted friend to pray for you. I pray this prayer all the time for guidance and strength:
St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle.
Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil.
My God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host,
by the Devine Power of God, cast into hell satan and all of the evil spirits, who roam throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls.
Amen

I always direct my prayers to the Trinity and Blessed Mother. and if the subject of my prayers remind me of a saint, for example, a family argument, then I think of Saint Rita because of her life struggles, and ill ask her to pray for me. Thats why i love reading about the lives of the saints, so i know who to call for assistance!

For me, three Aves followed by something like " Our Lady, Queen of Heaven, I ask your intercession in offering my prayer to our Father in Heaven". Then I pray the prayer.

Or, I ask Our Lady to pray for me, or someone else. I never ask her to grant anything to me herself. I’m always careful not to direct my prayer to her.

Same with Saints.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.