WHO Study: Anti-Abortion Laws Don’t Reduce Abortion Rates. Contraception Does

Abortion rates are at an all-time low in the developed world, having dropped by more than 40 percent over the past 25 years. But in developing countries—many of which have outlawed abortion and make contraception difficult to access—the rate of abortions has stayed nearly constant, according to a new report from the Guttmacher Institute and the World Health Organization.

The new estimates, published Wednesday in the Lancet, provide another bit of evidence that criminalizing abortion does not curb the practice. In countries where abortion is completely illegal or permitted only to save the life of the pregnant woman, the most recent data places the average annual abortion rate at 37 per 1,000 women aged 15 to 44. In countries where abortion is legal in most cases, the rate is 34 per 1,000 women.

“The obvious interpretation is that criminalizing abortion does not prevent it but, rather, drives women to seek illegal services or methods,” wrote Diana Greene Foster of the University of California’s Advancing New Standards in Reproductive Health in a comment linked to the report. “But this simple story overlooks the many women who, in the absence of safe legal services, carry unwanted pregnancies to term.”

slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2016/05/11/abortion_rates_are_constant_in_developing_countries_while_developed_ones.html

thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(16)30380-4/abstract

No, contraception INCREASES abortion. Look at the stats of how many women were on the pill when they became pregnant - it’s at least 40%.

They just want birth control handed out like candy.

Obviously, this isn’t the place the examine the study and its methodology. Suffice it to say that I’m wary of analyzing studies solely through the lens of the media, especially if those studies are really just demonstrating a correlation. The potential for politicizing a tiny statistical significance is through the roof.

But even if the stated conclusions are accurate, I as a Catholic nonetheless reject the unstated premise in all of this: that evil is permissible so long as the results are good.

We have speed limits, people don’t always obey them, should we remove speed limits?

Nevertheless, these countries would probably do a lot better without people from the WHO and Planned Parenthood pushing their ideologies onto them which advocates a woman opt for an abortion, not only that but if the ship that parked off the coast of Ireland to perform abortion for Ireland women (and other such things) left that Country alone, that would probably help a bit with such statistics.

I hope this has helped

“For the sake of His sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.”

God Bless

Thank you for reading
Josh

Were I not Catholic, I’d be pleased at reports like this. And in a kind of world weary way I’m not surprised.

However, education, above all of respect for the dignity of humanity (ie. the true place of sex in our lives), is surely a much greater catalyst for reducing abortion numbers.

What reports like these do, however accurate, is just ramp up access to contraception. Which actually compounds the problem at the end of the day (because no method is fail-safe apart from anything else…). Anything that stops abortions is good I suppose. but at what cost to everything else, including our common relationship with God?

That just proves those laws are not effective, same as abortion, you cant keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect a different result, in the same, you cannot keep enforcing an ineffective law over and over and expect results to magically change.

I always take ‘studies’ like this with a grain of salt, it depends largely on who is doing the study, as to what the results will be. They are trying to push their agenda, nothing more, nothing less.

Let’s not forget the source of this study.

The WHO, though it has done some good work in other areas, is definitely biased in favour of a liberal interpretation of “reproductive health”, including not only abortion, but contraception and population control in general. Such biases inevitably colour the results that they would produce. So take this with a pinch of salt. :slight_smile:

I’m curious to see if anyone knows if this study counted pharmaceutical abortifacients as abortions.

That was the first thing I wondered too, JD1789.

No. The study’s abstract says that they used data from government agencies, which would probably count only actual procedural terminations.

Moreover, the paper also states that this “drop” in abortions was not significant in developing countries, and that 73% of abortions were obtained by married women :eek:

The paper’s conclusion is “Ensuring access to sexual and reproductive health care could help millions of women avoid unintended pregnancies and ensure access to safe abortion.”

So, yeah. A shill for contraception. Moving on. :slight_smile:

Forty percent?!!!
From where, pray, are you getting your stats? That number is way, waaaaaay off.

When used as directed, it’s more than 99 percent effective.
When not taken correctly (missed pill, for example) it drops to approx 91 percent effective.

I doubt that it is possible to adequately estimate the amount of abortions in the countries where they are illegal.

In my own view. In a perfect view both contraception and abortion would be illegal. But we live in largely secular societies where legislation has to reflect a range of options and the realities of people’s behaviour.

Absolutely I am sure that contraception and especially female contraception increases, encourages and even actively promotes promiscuity and it’s inevitable ‘failure’ combined with the attitude it refects leads to abortion, which if illegal will end up “backstreet”.

I’m afraid the answer to this is moral and religious education first and foremost. Children should be taught to wait for marriage. Purity should be actively promoted and Girls should be taught to aspire to be virgin brides and to embrace motherhood. Casual sex de-glamorised and the murder of unborn children shown for what it is. But since very sadly most Catholics seem to believe contraception is acceptable the leadership is unlikely to come from us.

Following Christ’s command to love self-sacrificially is what lowers abortions.

Personally, I think it’s arrogant and foolish to think that you can go into the least developed nations, who differ greatly from Western society in culture and values, and tell them that they should practice abstinence because of human dignity or god or whatever. It’s just not going to work. If you don’t accept Catholic theology, you have no reason to accept Catholic rules, especially when they clash with your own background.

Abstinence education has repeatedly been shown to be ineffective both overseas and in the US. ARTs and condoms are effective at reducing the spread of HIV in the developing world, not abstinence education. Contraception reduces abortion in the developing world, not the exportation of sexual values. If the teaching against contraception trumps these things, that’s fine. But that’s really the choice at hand.

Abstinence itself is never ineffective though, and it never spreads disease. It really boils down to one’s view of human anthropology. This is really an ideological contention.

I think what Pope Francis has called “ideological colonialism” that is going on is what is really disturbing.

Check out these reports regarding abstinence education:

jstor.org/discover/10.2307/2135434?uid=3738032&uid=2129&uid=2&uid=70&uid=4&sid=21102352945677
archive.hhs.gov/news/press/2005pres/20050614.html
usnews.com/health/family-health/womens-health/articles/2010/02/01/abstinence-only-classes-reduced-sexual-activity-study-found.html
instituteresearch.com/docs/Heritage_Keepers_Eval_%28Weed,_Ericksen,_and_Birch,_2005%29.pdf
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16978165
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11317423
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19197586

We do not think the “Catholic rules” are exclusive to Catholic theology. They are Natural Law rules. Everyone of sound mind is able to realize that casual sex and promiscuity are destructive for the person and society.

Contraception reduces abortion in the developing world, not the exportation of sexual values.

Contraception is the exportation of sexual values.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.