Who succeeded Peter

When Peter was killed, who took over after him?

In other words, Peter was an apostle so who was the first pope?

home.inreach.com/bstanley/popes.htm

Peter was the first Pope and an apostle. One does not delete the other. I believe it was Linus who was the second Pope. Follow the link and it will show all the different Popes.

God Bless,
Maria

This is going to sound silly, but we could all do with a bit of innocent silliness in our lives, IMHO:

I love the fact that the character Linus in the Peanuts cartoons and his blanket have entered into the mainstream as a symbol of security and love. There is a group that makes blankets/quilts for the poor that are called, humorously in honor of the cartoon Linus, St. Linus blankets. But, I think they named their charity better than they knew for St. Linus certainly would love the idea of blankets being made and distributed to the poor under his name. Plus, knowing he was the 2nd pope gives us all the knowledge that our Church is secure just as Jesus promised it would be down through the ages no matter what comes along. Just a few random thoughts for the day. :wink:

St. Peter was the first pope.

and i like linus too…after charlie and snoopy ol’ boy.:slight_smile:

The first four popes: Peter, Linus, Cletus, Clement. They are mentioned in the first Eucharistic Prayer.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.