Who to listen to?

I feel like my head is spinning. Advice online from different Catholics telling me different things, ministries the this family supports putting out anti-Catholic stuff, my husband, while being more sympathetic lately, still has plenty of arguments to pull out, My friends in RL are pushing me one way, my online friends are terrifically anti-Catholic. I have a couple of good Orthodox friends, too.

I am like a spinning top, with so many influences. How am I supposed to know the truth that sets me free? I pray that the Holy Spirit would guide me, but I’m not the pope, and I don’t think is a thing sensibly decided by ‘where I’m comfortable’ on any things.

I realize the irony of posting this here, and inviting yet more voices into the room, but I am drowning, not waving, and I would appreciate any thing anyone has that can help me navigate through this tangle.

May the peace of our Lord Jesus Christ and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you sister.:signofcross:

Yes, as the poster above says, just stay with the Peace of Christ right now.

There is no pressure to make any change at all right now! You convert at Gods pace! Just dont let one side sway you without hearing the other side. and dont take Protestant or Orthodox version of Catholicism without checking what Catholicism actually teaches!

Just ask God to send you His Truth and when you realize its the Catholic faith you will be at peace and joy!

God be with you!

DEEEEEP Breath…

SLLOOOOWWWW Down

Look only at things that are documented. Things that you can look at carefully, compare, and possibly share with your spiritual director or here.
Much Anti-Catholic stuff is a matter of misinformation ranging from simple misunderstanding to outright twisting of teaching.
Also a lot of it is just accusation with nothing to really back it up.

Keep praying for guidance…It usually comes in very small intimations - not in a great flash (though that has happened too).

Hope this helps some

Peace
James

You can always ask specific questions right here.

You will get answers, often backed up with excerpts from the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

One thing to remember is that the Church teaches us in the same way that we teach people to drive: you’re driving too close to the edge of the road, move to the center, then a few minutes later: you’re driving too close to the center, move towards the edge.

Some people take *one *of those and say it is the entire truth, but it is only half the truth. Yes, we should give time and money to help others, but we must not neglect our obligations in doing that.

If you read about The Catholc c view of virtue, you will see that we believe the virtues are interconnected. We balance several vietues with prudence and humility, for example.

I am happy there is so much to learn, but it does seem overwhelming from time to time :slight_smile: Consider what people are telling you in light of what you *know *to be accurate. Understand that some of what people tell you is only part of the story and that sometimes people see something and totally misunderstand it, as when Protestants think we “worship” Mary because we do with her all that they do with God.

Read more things by saints and fewer by people who have been alive more recently, and it will just begin to seep into you. It will get better!

[LIST=1]
*]Simplify your life in this area. Dump those online anti Catholics
*]Your soul is the most important possession you have. Take care of it and protect it with all your might.
*]Go to sources you know are solid. When people “online” give you answers, ask them to quote their source. Verify. Don’t just take someone’s advice as good. Verify
*]And remember this [/FONT]Ecclesiastes 10:2A wise man’s heart inclines him toward the right,
but a fool’s heart toward the left. (that one IMV says a TON :D)
[/LIST]

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. Having reread my initial post, I’m surprised you did; it wasn’t very coherent. But I appear to have put my problem across as you have all offered very helpful advice.

I should probably draw a line under my acquaintance with anti-Catholics as even today I posted something sympathetic to Catholicism, something quite mild, and was pounced on for it. This does no one any good, and must stop.

And to keep praying is great advice. I have deliberately gone slow in many ways, partly through fear, and partly through circumstances (a busy wife and mother has little leisure time to be researching a whole new religion!). But I feel I’m at a crossroads and the time is coming where I need to take a step.

But steps are best taken one at a time, I guess, and I have let myself get bound up in all the ‘what ifs’. I need to take a breath, you’re right. So hard when my heart wants to run ahead and meet Jesus in the Eucharist, but my head tells me I need to have all my ducks in a row first.

you did just fine. I think to some extent we have all been there.

I should probably draw a line under my acquaintance with anti-Catholics as even today I posted something sympathetic to Catholicism, something quite mild, and was pounced on for it. This does no one any good, and must stop.

Bingo.
Now that you know the sorts of response you can expect from certain people you can take steps to distance yourself. There are a number of approaches open in this area.

And to keep praying is great advice. I have deliberately gone slow in many ways, partly through fear, and partly through circumstances (a busy wife and mother has little leisure time to be researching a whole new religion!). But I feel I’m at a crossroads and the time is coming where I need to take a step.

We stand ready to help.

But steps are best taken one at a time, I guess, and I have let myself get bound up in all the ‘what ifs’. I need to take a breath, you’re right. So hard when my heart wants to run ahead and meet Jesus in the Eucharist, but my head tells me I need to have all my ducks in a row first.

Understood. Just remember that you might not ever get all the ducks lined up. So don’t let that hold you back. Consider what are the critical matters and address those. Keep is simple. That is my mantra…

Peace
James

Seek and ye shall find. That’s Jesus’ promise. You will soon learn that prayer and silence are the best vehicles to discerning truth. Read the saints and mystics. Listen to Catholic philosophers, theologians and psychologists and spend a lot of time walking in nature. Ask lots of questions…the learning is more in the question then the answer.

The church itself is full of hypocrites (excepting the Saints) that do not practice what the church herself teaches…this, ironically, is why the Catholic church is the most reliable institution in the world…she alone refuses to change her preaching to match her (often bad) and societies practices.

Sometimes a little history can help cut through all the noise one comes up against in their search. Here’s a quick history of the 1st 400 years from Christ. #[FONT=Arial]34 The internal links in that link are all operable. Be sure and open them up to read what that Early Church Father had to say in his own words… NOT my words [/FONT]

Prayers ascending for your journey

Eruvande,

Did you see the reply I gave to you on the other thread you posted? I think if you listen to some of their stories, you will find them enlightening.

Several converts mentioned reading the book Catholic and Christian as being helpful in their journey. One said it answered just about every question they had.

Many apologies, Duane, I’m not sure I did see your post, but I am on medication which makes me quite forgetful. I shall see if I can search it out, and thank you for the book recommendation.

I feel more positive today.

You will find what the Church actually teaches in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Below is a link to an online version. If you don’t understand any teaching you read you can ask a question in these forums.

scborromeo.org/ccc.htm

I have never heard of anyone being pressured to join the Catholic Church. A few good things you do. Go and talk to a Catholic priest. I guarantee you there won’t be any pressure. He will answer your questions and pray for you. Ask him about taking RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation in Adults). This is a class you usually have to take before you are baptized and confirmed Catholic. RCIA has several stages. The first stage is Inquiry. You can have all of your questions answered there. If you feel like the Church
is not for you, you can just quit and no one will bother you. The Catholic Church
is beautiful, deep, and reverent. I am a convert (April 2012). I joined the Church because of it’s authority from Jesus Christ. Read Matthew 16:13-18. The Church has an unbroken line of authority all the way back to the original apostles. It’s Christs Church. God Bless you.

This is what we’re called to: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.”

This is what man’s justice consists of. God’s intention is to get us there, without forcing it upon us, since love cannot be forced anyway. Our job is to cooperate. And the purpose of the Church is to tell us about Him to begin with and help establish this communion of love between us and Him. We, as His sheep, must decide in the end who’s rendering His voice to us most clearly and accurately.

I imagine you are going through a tough time. I would probably recommend trying to reason with your friends, get them to accept you and your beliefs, if they cannot, get new ones. See, when I pick my friends, especially ones online, I pick friends who think like me. A lot of my online friends are agnostic or even atheist, but they still have a similar mindset to my own, so we click really well. For example, they disagree with abortion, homosexuality, are pure before marriage, etc.

I guess I would recommend that you be an influence on them rather than letting them be an influence on you. Be more uppity about what you stand for, don’t let people push you around merely because you want them to “like you”. Standing up for yourself is one of the best ways to garnish respect.

If something brings you closer to Jesus, or gives you a better understanding of him, it is something you should pay attention to. If not, then put it on the back burner for now.

All knowledge and direction should be to Jesus, for he is the beginning and the end.

May God bless and keep you. May God’s face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.

Listen to G.K Chesterton. And tell your husband and friends to listen to him aswell.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.