who to pray to

Jesus said what ever you ask of my father in my name shall be done for you. Yet Mary is the "neck" of the church while Jesus is the head. Tradition much teach that the father says all graces come through Mary. Should we venerate Mary which I have no problem with but mariology is optional I have read. Or call to the father in Jesus's name?

Bill

I am not sure where you heard that all graces come from Mary? I honestly think God is glad to hear from us, no matter whom we pray to--Father, Son, or Holy Spirit, or if we go through Mary or another Saint. I ask Mary for her intercession everyday, and I pray the Rosary. But I also speak to Jesus as though He is my friend. And I always ask the Heavenly Father to send the Holy Spirit to help me to understand when I read the Bible. I just don't think you can go wrong. I usually make the sign of the Cross to be sure that whatever I am asking is in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Or sometimes if I'm praying silently just shopping in a store or something I'll ask, "Lord, please give this young mother patience with her child. In Jesus' name I ask this." Do whatever your heart leads you to do...God is HAPPY to hear from you!!

The belief that Mary who was "Full of Grace" is also the treasurer, mediatrix and dispenser of grace, has been a long standing belief in the Church.

**For thereupon, by divine plan, she so began to watch over the Church, so to be near and to favor us as a Mother, that she who had been the minister [administra] of the mystery of human redemption, was equally the minister [administra] of the grace to be given from it for all time, practically immeasurable power being given to her.
of grace.
* (Leo XIII, Encyclical, Adiutricem populi, Sept 5, 1895)*

It is right to pray to Jesus the redeemer, to the Father Creator, and to the Holy Spirit Advocate and Helper, to Mary under any one of her well deserved titles, or to the saints.

I have a particular devotion to the Holy Spirit and the Mary who is the spouse of the Holy Spirit. I pray to Mary and to the Holy Spirit often.

-Tim-

These are some of my personal thoughts.

I believe the Trinity set Mary in a role of petitioner for mercy. Because this then would give God more reason to give more mercy without upsetting the balance of Justice. It gives God an excuse to be more merciful because she pleads on our behalf, and since she refused God nothing, but did his will perfectly, then he grants her requests. Jesus not only gave us his life, but also his mother.

So now since she is so close in friendship with God and with us, being the highest in heaven and at the right side of her son, Queen of Heaven and earth, she gets what she asks far, just as she did at Cana. I believe that God designed it this way so that he could give us more than max in mercy that would not go contrary to justice because of her intercessary requests.

It has been the customary practise of catholics to say the morning offering.

"O Jesus, thru the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you my prayers, works, joys, and sufferings of this day for all the intentions of your sacred Heart, in union with the holy sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world, in reparation for my sins, and those of the whole world."

This sanctifies our whole day's activity.

Just a thought.

*So now since she is so close in friendship with God and with us, being the highest in heaven and at the right side of her son, Queen of Heaven and earth, she gets what she asks far, just as she did at Cana. I believe that God designed it this way so that he could give us more than max in mercy that would not go contrary to justice because of her intercessary requests.

This is very good! I hadn't thought of it quite that way before. I was not questioning that we can receive graces through Mary's intercession...only the statement that "all graces come from Mary." All graces come from GOD, but Mary can help obtain them for us. I know I sure do want her on my side!!

I was told by my priest that Jesus will not deny any request His mother makes of him, so keep that in mind when praying to Her!

[quote="ReachingFaith, post:6, topic:296405"]
I was told by my priest that Jesus will not deny any request His mother makes of him, so keep that in mind when praying to Her!

[/quote]

thats good to know :D

[quote="billcu1, post:1, topic:296405"]
Jesus said what ever you ask of my father in my name shall be done for you. Yet Mary is the "neck" of the church while Jesus is the head. Tradition much teach that the father says all graces come through Mary. Should we venerate Mary which I have no problem with but mariology is optional I have read. Or call to the father in Jesus's name?

Bill

[/quote]

1997-APR-9: *During an audience Pope John-Paul II referred to the role of Mary during the crucifixion of Jesus:"*Mary … co-operated during the event itself and in the role of mother; thus her co-operation embraces the whole of Christ’s saving work. She alone was associated in this way with the redemptive sacrifice that merited the salvation of all mankind. In union with Christ and in submission to him, she collaborated in obtaining the grace of salvation for all humanity...In God’s plan, Mary is the ‘woman’ (cf. John 2:4; John 19:26), the New Eve, united to the New Adam in restoring humanity to its original dignity. Her cooperation with her Son continues for all time in the universal motherhood which she enjoys in the order of grace. Trusting in this maternal cooperation, let us turn to Mary, imploring her help in all our needs." **1
religioustolerance.org/mary_cor.htm

http://free-zg.t-com.hr/saint-luke/images/glavna_00.jpg
"We never give more honour to Jesus than when we honour his Mother, and we honour her simply and solely to honour him all the more perfectly. We go to her only as a way leading to the goal we seek - Jesus, her Son."
~ St. Louis Marie de Montfort**

[quote="Veronica97, post:5, topic:296405"]
*So now since she is so close in friendship with God and with us, being the highest in heaven and at the right side of her son, Queen of Heaven and earth, she gets what she asks far, just as she did at Cana. I believe that God designed it this way so that he could give us more than max in mercy that would not go contrary to justice because of her intercessary requests.

This is very good! I hadn't thought of it quite that way before. I was not questioning that we can receive graces through Mary's intercession...only the statement that "all graces come from Mary." All graces come from GOD, but Mary can help obtain them for us. I know I sure do want her on my side!!

[/quote]

Mary has been known for centuries as the Mediatrix of All Graces. Although this title has yet to be declared a Dogma by the Church, there are many years, many saints, and many theologians who express this definition of her privileges as Mother of God.

The following quote is from a site that has very useful information on this subject and on Mary's recognition in the Church:

In ancient times:
http://www.religioustolerance.org/_themes/topo/topbul2d.gif**St. Antonius** (circa 250 - 350): "All graces that have ever been bestowed on men, all came through Mary."

http://www.religioustolerance.org/_themes/topo/topbul2d.gif**St. Bernard *(1090 - 1153): "[Mary is called] the gate of heaven, because no one can enter that blessed kingdom without passing through her*."

http://www.religioustolerance.org/_themes/topo/topbul2d.gif**St. Bonaventure** (1221 - 1274): "As the moon, which stands between the sun and the earth, transmits to this latter whatever it receives from the former, so does Mary pour out upon us who are in this world the heavenly graces that she receives from the divine sun of justice." 1

http://www.religioustolerance.org/_themes/topo/topbul1d.gif**1750:** Alphonsus Mary de Liguori, canonized as Saint Alphonsus in 1839, wrote a book "The Glories of Mary." It continues to be published today, under various church imprimaturs. Various chapters in the book are titled: "Mary our Help," "Mary our Mediatress," "Mary our Advocate," etc.** 1
**religioustolerance.org/mary_cor.htm

I think the Father is more interested in us calling His house often, and speaking with anyone that first comes to mind. He's patient and will be happy when we clear our mind and come to Him and tell Him all that has been happening.

Does your Father, Did your father, lay down strict calling/taling to rules when you called home at Thanksgiving time? Of course not.

Call His house often and that way you can speak to all your family.

These are all interesting posts but maybe the message to me is to pray to the father in Jesus name. But Mary is the “neck” of the church while the holy spirit the heart. Has the father made it so that all graces come through Mary. I am looking for a source here. I know someone has mentioned that.

Bill

[quote="billcu1, post:11, topic:296405"]
These are all interesting posts but maybe the message to me is to pray to the father in Jesus name. But Mary is the "neck" of the church while the holy spirit the heart. Has the father made it so that all graces come through Mary. I am looking for a source here. I know someone has mentioned that.

Bill

[/quote]

Have a look at Lumen gentium ## 61-62 at vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_const_19641121_lumen-gentium_en.html

A good short article is at ewtn.com/faith/teachings/marya4.htm

Many quotes from Papal encyclicals on the mediation of Mary are at http://www.ewtn.com/faith/teachings/marya4a.htm

Pray to whomever you feel most comfortable. Pray to God. Pray to Jesus. Pray to whomever you feel most comfortable.

-Tim-

When I pray , I pray to Mary to interceded to her son Jesus. I also pray to Jesus to give me strenght., and I pray to Mary, for her intercesion, to protected me ,to keep me closed to her son Jesus,and to protect me from Evil.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.