WHO warns HIV 'exploding' among gay men, urges preventive drugs

HIV infections are rising among gay men in many parts of the world, the World Health Organization warned Friday, urging all men who have sex with men to take antiretroviral drugs to prevent infection.

“We are seeing exploding epidemics,” warned Gottfried Hirnschall, who heads WHO’s HIV department.

Infection rates are rising again among men who have sex with men – the group at the epicentre of AIDS pandemic when it first emerged 33 years ago, he told reporters in Geneva.

While images of skeletal men dying of AIDS in the 1980s pushed the world to act, a younger generation that has grown up among new treatments that make it possible to live with HIV are less focused on the disease, he suggested.

Today, this group is 19 times more likely than the general population to be infected by HIV, Hirnschall said.

More:

afp.com/en/news/who-warns-hiv-exploding-among-gay-men-urges-preventive-drugs

Ugh. I’ll inform my gay male friends.

Right we wouldn’t want to tell them to be chaste. :rolleyes:

They know my position on the issue. No need to force it on their face. I’d rather them be on ARVs and protect themselves if they are going to sin anyway.

Since it is obvious that chastity is a better deterrent for a sexually transmitted disease than, you know, having sexual relations, can we presume that proponents of antibiotics, who won’t promote the best remedy, believe it is impossible or utterly daunting to not have sexual relations? If so, should we cite the 800-lb gorilla of sexual addiction that has permeated the culture like a phantom zeitgeist? And for that matter, shouldn’t the Catholics be given some props for promoting the best remedy for their neighbors?

From the article:

At the same time, they are often the very groups who have least access to healthcare services, with criminalisation and stigma often dissuading them from seeking help even when it is available. When people fear seeking health care services it “will inevitably lead to more infections in those communities,” Rachel Baggaley, of the WHO’s HIV department, told reporters.

I wish we had a giant finger we could point at places like Nigeria, Uganda, etc.

Yes. There’s a reason why the Church favored decriminalization. Dying of Aids while being unable to get medical help is a terrible scenario.

If they would live lives of chastity, this wouldn’t be such a huge problem. Nevertheless, I do know that being chaste can be very difficult sometimes so I do sympathize with them to a certain extent.

Monogomy would solve it as well.

The only reason this hasn’t hit straight people the same way is that it’s not as easy for a straight couple to get AIDS (with or without protection). If the risk were equal I’d be we’d see similar stats for straights. For example, 1 in 6 people have genital herpes.

It just depends on what part of the world you live in. The HIV/AIDS epidemic in Africa is predominantly a problem among heterosexuals. Promiscuity and polygamy being prime reasons.

Sounds right to me. Add IV drug use and the western breakdown and we see a different picture. There’s better statistical breakdowns than that presented.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.