Who was Zerubbabul?

He is in the Matthean lineage of Jesus.

What I’ve got so far is that he was a Jew in Babylon who was released from exile. He returned to Judah, Jerusalem in particular. He was also the governor of Judah and he was one of builders of the second temple.

He was also the grandson of Jehoiachin king of Judah, and therefore the pretender at the time to the throne of David.

And it’s spelled Zerubbabel (not -bul).

Here’s what Scott Hahn’s Catholic Bible Dictionary says about him:

The son of Shealtiel and the grandson of King Jehoiachin (Ezra 3:2; Hag 1:1; Matt 1:12); according to 1 Chr 3:19, he was the son of Pedaiah. The two different fathers may indicate that a levirate marriage took place (see Marriage). Zerubbabel returned to Palestine after the Exile (Ezra 2:2) and served as governor of Judah under Darius I. He and the high priest Joshua initiated the reconstruction of the Temple at the encouragement of the prophets Haggai and Zechariah (Hag 1:1–2; Zech 4:9). Owing to his Davidic lineage, Zerubbabel’s efforts stirred the Messianic hopes of the Jewish community (Hag 2:21–23; Zech 4:6–10). He appears in Matt 1:12 as a Davidic ancestor of Jesus Christ.

Scott Hahn, ed., Catholic Bible Dictionary (New York; London; Toronto; Sydney; Auckland: Doubleday, 2009), 977.

Even more to the point, how is Zerubbabel pronounced? :wink:

Zerubbabel= zeh-RUH-buh-behl

You mean, it’s not ZAY-roo-bubble? :stuck_out_tongue:

:rotfl:

Well, not according to Lector’s Guide to Biblical Pronunciations, Updated

You never know, though. :wink:

or

ze-ROO-ba-bell

Good answers. My Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance lists over 20 entries for him.

I’m reading the massive “Outside of Scripture” (OOS) published by the Jewish Publication Society. Under the heading of “Septuagint”, the book discusses the apocryphal 1 Esdras (Ezra).

In it, Zerubbabel is credited with a role somewhat parallel to Esther’s role in the Book of (what else?) Esther.

Zerubbabel is a personal guard of the Babylonian king, and he wins a contest for which the prize he claims is the release of the Jews from Babylon. His role described in 1 Esdras fills in a gap in Ezra-Nehemiah telling how the return from captivity came about. The overarching point of view is that all this occurred not only as Jeremiah foretold, but specifically in accordance with Providence.

The relationship between the Septuagint and the Masoretic text is complex. The goal of OOS is to document Jewish belief and practices of the second Temple era that are not so documented in what later became the official Hebrew scripture.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.