Who / what inspired them?

Who / what inspired people like Mohammed, Joseph Smith or Luther to make new religions,

is it from evil, God, themselves, or else?

Look but don’t touch, touch but don’t taste, taste but don’t swallow

[quote=catholic2005]Who / what inspired people like Mohammed, Joseph Smith or Luther to make new religions,

[/quote]

…in my opinion… PRIDE! & PREJUDICE!

[quote=catholic2005]Who / what inspired people like Mohammed, Joseph Smith or Luther to make new religions,

[/quote]

God makes everything good… man (and the angels) has the free will to do evil. God permits this, otherwise we would not have free will. We are all desired by the devil, and he is smarter than us. And he works overtime. He has convinced those you mention and many others, that they are capable of knowing more than the Church. Pride is at the root of it all.

For Muhammad my personal belief is 1)He was possibly just insane (he said he thought he was going crazy when he heard this stuff) and/or 2) For power/political gain. Islam in the beginning was primarily spread by the sword.

Joseph Smith-I don’t think he really got these revelations, probably just wanted power, weath etc. Coulda been crazy too

Luther-Pride sounds right. He had legitament disagreements with the Church, but not enough to leave.

has Jesus ever mentioned about “pride” in His lifetime (scripture)? how come people say “pride” is evil’s favorite sin? where did the idea come at the first place?

GBU:)

[quote=catholic2005]has Jesus ever mentioned about “pride” in His lifetime (scripture)? how come people say “pride” is evil’s favorite sin? where did the idea come at the first place?

GBU:)
[/quote]

Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.” If a lack of pride is a blessing, then pride must be a hindrance.
I’m sure there’s more, I’ll let others handle that.

NotWorthy

[quote=FuzzyBunny116].

Joseph Smith-I don’t think he really got these revelations, probably just wanted power, weath etc. Coulda been crazy too

[/quote]

I read a book on him which says he was arrested for being a charlatain. He would look into stones and tell people there were hidden treasures on their land. I don’t think he was crazy but I do think he thought he had a good scam going.

[/quote]

Who really knows? They could have done it out of pride, maybe because they were crazy, possibly as a scam. I don’t think I would go so far as to say the devil caused them to do it (though that is certainly possible as well). I don’t know enough about Mohammed or Luther to answer for them specifically. Joseph Smith I would not be surprised to find out that he was doing it as a scam for power or money or what have you.

I think it is pride that leads people in general to begin new churches. They disagree with something they see in a certain church and so they go start their own to teach “the truth” because they can do it better and more accurately than someone else.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.