Who/what is Ante-Nicene Fathers?

I was reading something on the internet translated by Alexander Walker from Ante-Nicene Fathers, Vol. 8 . What is this all about?

The early church fathers fall into three basic categories,

1. Apostolic Fathers,
  2. Ante-Nicene Church Fathers and
  3. Post-Nicene Church Fathers.

The Apostolic Church Fathers contemporary with the Apostles and were probably taught by them.

The Ante-Nicene Fathers were those who were after the Apostolic Fathers and before the Council of Nicea in 325 A. D.

The Post-Nicene Father were after 325 A. D.

Stillkickin
You wrote:

*The Apostolic Church Fathers contemporary with the Apostles and were probably taught by them. *

I would agree and disagree.
*The Apostolic Fathers *is usually used to refer to a collection of early proto-orthodox writings. It is held by many that there are twelve components in this collection. We really do not know who wrote most of the texts in this collection.

The three authors we know are Polycarp, Ignatius and Clement.
Polycarp was probably taught by John and Clement by Peter.

This site has there writings ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf01.i.html

I have a collection here litteralchristianlibrary.wetpaint.com/page/Early+Church+Fathers+Collection and here litteralchristianlibrary.wetpaint.com/page/Bible+Commentaries-Fathers+and+Doctors

In my collection of the Church Fathers I have many additional writings that are not found in the collection of CCEL or New Advent.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.