Who would be a good patron saint of persecuted Catholics?

Hey everyone. Who would be a good patron saint to ask for the intercession for persecuted Catholics?

*Paul the Apostle, also called the Apostle Paul, Saul of Tarsus, and Saint Paul (c. AD 5 – c. AD 67),[2] was one of the most influential early Christian missionaries, with his writings forming a considerable portion of the New Testament. His influence on Christian thinking has been of utmost significance[3] due to his role as a prominent apostle of Christianity during the spreading of the Gospel through early Christian communities across the Roman Empire.

According to the Bible, Paul was known as Saul prior to his conversion, and was dedicated to the persecution of the early disciples of Jesus in the area of Jerusalem.[4] While traveling from Jerusalem to Damascus on a mission to “bring them which were there bound unto Jerusalem”, the resurrected Jesus appeared to him in a great light. Saul was struck blind, but after three days his sight was restored by Ananias of Damascus, and Paul began to preach that Jesus of Nazareth is the Jewish Messiah and the Son of God.[5]

Along with Simon Peter and James the Just he was one of the most prominent early Christian leaders.[6] He was also a Roman citizen—a fact that afforded him a privileged legal status with respect to laws, property, and governance.[7][8]

Fourteen epistles in the New Testament are attributed to Paul. His authorship of seven of the fourteen is questioned by modern scholars.[3][9] Augustine of Hippo developed Paul’s idea that salvation is based on faith and not “Works of the Law”.[3] Martin Luther’s interpretation of Paul’s writings heavily influenced Luther’s doctrine of sola fide.

Paul’s conversion dramatically changed the course of his life. Through his missionary activity and writings he eventually transformed religious belief and philosophy around the Mediterranean Basin. His leadership, influence and legacy led to the formation of communities dominated by Gentile groups that worshiped the God of Israel, adhered to the Judaic “moral code”, but relaxed or abandoned the “ritual” and dietary obligations of the Mosaic law all on the basis of Paul’s teachings of the life and works of Jesus Christ and his teaching of a new covenant (or “new testament”)[10] established through Jesus’ death and resurrection. The Bible does not record Paul’s death.*

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

St. Stephen whose martyrdom is shown in Acts 7 would be good. There are countless martyrs. I would particularly pray to the martyrs of Uganda myself when praying for persecuted Catholics.
Catholics in the West may be headed for serious persecution in some years, and may find themselves praying to martyrs for their own sakes.

The Condemned Men: Saint Nicholas saved six falsely accused men from death. He became the patron saint of lawyers, the persecuted, and the imprisoned after he crumbled prison walls in answer to the prayers of the persecuted

Thanks everyone! :thumbsup:

Holly3278- What an excellent question. I have a few more to add if you don’t mind.

I would have to say most of Jesus’ disciples.

St. Stephen

St. Joan of Arc

St. Lucy

St. Agatha

St. Apollonia

St. Dymphna

St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross

Although, not canonized as Saints yet.

Blessed Miguel Agustin Pro

Blessed Franciso of Fatima

Blessed Jacinta of Fatima

Blessed Isidore Bakanja

Servant of God Sr. Lucia of Fatima

The Discalced Carmelite Martyrs of Compiègne

Of course these are just a few of the many holy men and women that have been persecuted.

It makes me feel really choked up reading the lives of God’s holy men and women.

Jesus himself was greatly persecuted.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.