Who would become irate?

Here is the scenario:

A stranger comes up to a Protestant and a Catholic.

He asks the Protestant to give up “Taking his Bible to Church” for a whole year.

He asks the Catholic to give up “Taking his Rosary Beads to Mass” for a whole year.

Who would become more irate and not be able to cope?

The Protestant or the Catholic?

I don’t understand why this is a relevant question. Is it to suggest that Catholics too easily give in when told to give up traditions or is it supposed to set up some insight about the sola scriptura error of the Protestants? If told not to bring a rosary to Church I would not only ignore the order, but bring more and pass them out along with literature about the salvific power of Our Lady’s Psalter.

Oh – and pray for the poor soul who asked not to bring rosaries to Church.

Who cares?

Protestants.

We sometimes accuse them of “Bible Worship”.

I stated on another thread if you really want to prove that a Protestant worships the Bible, just ask them to stop taking their Bible to chruch.

Originally by JoeyWarren:
Who would get upset the most?

A. Asking a protestant to stop taking his Bible to Church?

or

B. Asking a Catholic to stop taking his Rosary to Mass?

Personal experience dictates A as the answer for me. You?
Quote:

rr1213 said : Depends on the person, Catholic or Protestant. I dare you to ask the same question over at the Traditional Catholic forum…my guess is that you’d have some VERY irate traditionalists if you told them not to bring their rosaries to church.

What is so difficult in understanding this question?

Oh, I understand the question all right. I just think it’s meaningless.

Sorry, but it is a silly question. All Protestants don’t take their Bibles to church. All Catholics don’t take their rosary beads to Church.

Besides, I can pray the rosary by counting on my fingers. :slight_smile:

This is a strange question. It probably depends on the individual. Did this happen to you? I don’t take my Rosary beads to church, even when the Rosary is said before Mass, the leader is the one who keeps track. The Rosary is my private devotion, or when said in a group, the leader keeps track so I don’t bring my beads.

Over 90% of them do. I was chastised as a kid for either not reading it(justified) or letting the dust collect on it, or not taking it to church or letting the pages or spine become damaged. It isn’t that any of these things by themselves would be an issue, but all together should provide a little insight. I converted in 2005 and though I see protestants seem to respect the Bible itself more, I feel Catholics respect the actual meaning of the Scriptures inside more.

This was not my experience. Sometimes I took my bible to church, sometimes I didn’t. But, I was the only one in my family to go, so I didn’t have anyone to chastise me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Certainly, I wasn’t taught any more reverence for the Bible as a book (not referring to the contents). In fact, one of my Bibles as a Protestant was paperback, and it is pretty hard to keep those pristine. My experience is from a variety of denominations, but most of my time was spent in two churches - the “Bible Church” I first attended regularly with a friend and the Presbyterian Church where I was confirmed as a teen.

I was brought up in a Southern Baptist family. My grandfather was born into a Catholic family and some evangelical lead them all out. To this day I have a serious issue with people trying to do that. He went on to be a Southern Baptist minister and totally avoids the issue of Catholicism if brought up. My grandmother even followed me when I went to RCIA, to see what I was doing.

I think we should read Sacred Scripture devoutly, and know what it says. I don’t however think we should be ridiculed for not always having a bible in our hands. It would be nice to see more bible study groups within the Catholic community. I also incorporate other writings, generally from the Saints, into my bible study, so it doesn’t end with Revelations(Apocalypse), but lives on with the Church. I believe this is where Protestants do a grave disservice to both Scripture and themselves to think God stopped talking or working at the end of Revelation.

A woman in our RCIA told us that even if we lost every Bible on the face of the planet, Catholicism could go on because we have the Rosary to remember the Bible through.

I think the Protestant would be much, much more upset about not having their Bible at church. Most Catholics don’t pray the rosary at mass anyway. I try to pray it daily, but I don’t pray it while attending Mass. I do carry it everywhere with me, in case of emergencies, so I would have to remember to take it out of my pocket which would be a pain. If for some reason I don’t have it however…well, there’s a reason God gave us ten fingers.

I do think the question is a bit odd; what is it trying to prove?

Why must the rosary beads go to Mass? Certainly not to pray it during the Mass (I hope). I could pray the rosary on my teeth if I had to. As mentioned, fingers are great as well. Just please, please, don’t pray the rosary during the Mass.:wink:

another dumb meaningless poll on the same dumb topic. who cares?

and it is about to be hijacked…:wink: how are you doing? I read your post about the cortisone shots you had to have in the Prayer Intentions thread.

We are presuming that the Catholic owns a rosary, or at least knows what one is? :rolleyes:

Better question is who here has never had a rosary sent through the mail asking for donations?

Personally I’ll agree with those who use their fingers when they pray their rosary or say their penance or do Divine Mercy. As far as I know, carrying or holding a rosary doesn’t add value to the prayers. If you find that you have a tendency to say nine Hail Marys instead of ten, say eleven. Don’t mean to be disrepectful to a rosary that was blessed perhaps by the Pope himself, but why need an abacus to pray? Or even a downloaded computer program?

Maybe the next poll should be whether one should bring a Bible or a Missal to Church. Bible vs rosary? I don’t know.

An abacus? Wow. That may explain the 5-minute rosary mentioned in another thread. Have you ever seen how fast people can multiply using an abacus? Staggering. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey, don’t scorn those free gifts. The rosaries are among the best prizes for our CCD classes. :thumbsup:

I think you’re talking about the slide rule. :slight_smile: But calculators work just as well. :wink:

Just be careful none of these become idols.

Well, this is an interesting thread.

I like my Rosary. I read the bible.

I dont need the bible at Church as I know what the readings are going to be, and I dont have to read along to hear the word. Some do have to. I can read at home first, and then hear the Gospel through the mouth of the Priest speaking. So, I am not missing either experience and not distracted during Mass trying to read along and turning pages since I did that before I went to Mass.

I hear the word of God.

Now, with the Rosary, I do the same thing I do as when I read the bible. I see new and different things to be happy about every time I say it. And yes, I like my Rosary., and I can also cope with my fingers. And sometimes I take it to Mass, and sometimes I dont.

Even if I do take it to Mass I dont see it a problem or interfering with the Mass. I dont click away loudly or distract anyone and I am still focused on the Mass. I dont do a rapid fire recitation of the Rosary. To me, that is empty and not even worth doing.

I never do get far with my prayer, but each time I do feel it is different, and new. I guess I like that compared to the (God forgive me I ought to be grateful, but the lousy choir we have!) and so during the “music” I pray the Rosary. I know that is not nice to say, but you need to hear it for yourself. Its sooo bad. And dont tell me to do it since I cant carry a note.

We are cursed with the worst singing on the face of the earth I am sure.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.