Who would have done the same?

I went to confession today. I came out and remembered I’d forgotten something that I wasn’t sure was a mortal sin or not. I debated for a while and finally went right back in- I didn’t feel like waiting till next time. Would you consider that necessary to do? Does that sin stay on your soul till next time?

First, you weren’t sure if it was a mortal sin. So it wasn’t.
Second, it was something you had forgotten, so it was forgiven anyway.

Cool :cool:

From Baltimore Catechisms

215 Question: Is our Confession worthy if, without our fault,
we forget to confess a mortal sin?
Anwser: If without our fault we forget to confess a mortal sin, Tour
Confession is worthy, and the sin is forgiven; but it must be told in
Confession if it again comes to our mind.

216 Question: Is it a grievous offense willfully to conceal a
mortal sin in Confession?
Anwser: It is a grievous offense willfully to conceal a mortal sin in
Confession, because we thereby tell a lie to the Holy Ghost, and make our Confession worthless.

217 Question: What must he do who has willfully concealed a
mortal sin in Confession?
Anwser: He who has willfully concealed a mortal sin in Confession must not only confess it, but must also repeat all the sins he has committed since his last worthy Confession.

[quote=Stylus]I went to confession today. I came out and remembered I’d forgotten something that I wasn’t sure was a mortal sin or not. I debated for a while and finally went right back in- I didn’t feel like waiting till next time. Would you consider that necessary to do? Does that sin stay on your soul till next time?
[/quote]

I just have a question, since you went right back in, what did Father say about it? (no, I don’t want to know your confession, I am just wondering if he had anything to say about it.)

[quote=JimG]First, you weren’t sure if it was a mortal sin. So it wasn’t.
[/quote]

I agree, but I would have gone back in too. I bet you felt better after doing so.

I did the same thing once. It just felt like the right thing to do at the time.

your question reminded me of getting off a carnival ride and running to the back of the line to take the ride again. I have a disturbed imagination. No, I would realize that since I had honestly forgotten the problem, it was forgiven along with my other sins, trusted in Christ’s mercy, included it in my penance, and gone on my way secure in Christ’s promises and forgiveness. I would also have made a resolution to examine my conscience every night before bed so that I no longer “forget” things in confession.

[quote=allhers]I just have a question, since you went right back in, what did Father say about it? (no, I don’t want to know your confession, I am just wondering if he had anything to say about it.)
[/quote]

He just said ‘Oh okay’ in his nice old fatherly way.

What a priest told me once was this; at the end of your confession say this- Forgive me for these sins and any sins I cannot remember at this time. 1. If you genuinely forget something, you’re covered. (Remember God already knows all your sins)
2. It tells the priest your finished.

Did you get to say:

“Bless me Father for I have sinned. It’s been 30 seconds since my last confession.”

Ditto

[quote=JimG]First, you weren’t sure if it was a mortal sin. So it wasn’t.
[/quote]

Old geezer that I am, I always say, “I am sorry for these sins and all the sins of my past life”. That’s what I was taught back in 1958.

Why do Catholics seem to be so obsessive about these things??

[quote=JimG]Why do Catholics seem to be so obsessive about these things??
[/quote]

Because we do not want to offend the Lord or willfully place obstacles in the way of our relationship with the Lord. Because we have the fullness of faith and know when we’ve done something wrong. And because we have the fullness of truth and know how wonderful it is to be in full communion with the Lord.

[quote=Luke 12]45But if that servant shall say in his heart: My lord is long a coming; and shall begin to strike the menservants and maidservants, and to eat and to drink and be drunk:

46The lord of that servant will come in the day that he hopeth not, and at the hour that he knoweth not, and shall separate him, and shall appoint him his portion with unbelievers.

47And that servant who knew the will of his lord, and prepared not himself, and did not according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.

48But he that knew not, and did things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. And unto whomsoever much is given, of him much shall be required: and to whom they have committed much, of him they will demand the more.
[/quote]

[quote=Forest-Pine]Because we do not want to offend the Lord or willfully place obstacles in the way of our relationship with the Lord. Because we have the fullness of faith and know when we’ve done something wrong. And because we have the fullness of truth and know how wonderful it is to be in full communion with the Lord.
[/quote]

Don’t misunderstand me. I’m Catholic too, and very happy to have the sacrament of confession. I just think that once we go to confession and have our sins forgiven we need to take joy in it and not obsess about every detail of it. The sacrament should lead to peace, not worry.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.