Who would you invite to a Baptism?

I guess the obvious answer is family and friends.

However, my husband and I have a tricky family situation where both sets of parents are divorced, don't speak to each other and use all family events to play out their little drama. My husband's parent's never go to church and have no clue about what a Baptism is. Mine are a bit better in that respect, but perhaps this is not the point in this story.
We have a couple of friends who are Christians and and that's it.

So we are thinking of not inviting anybody to our baby's baptism next month, except for the Godparent and those few friends from church. I'm sick and tired of family drama and want to celebrate this sacred event without worrying about their issues.

What would you do?

Invite those who would wish to celebrate this great event with you. Not wanting to invite those who are not interested or who would abuse such an occasion is perfectly reasonable.

It's up to you of course. invite them but perhaps impress upon them the importance of baptism and that it's not about them but about the baby, and to please keep it civil or don't come. You can take this opportunity to perhaps educate them about baptism and what it means.

On the other hand though it sounds like they don't really care. And I would want folks there that can appreciate the moment and celebrate the joy of Baptism with you, your husband and baby.

You could always make the baptism private (that is, no other family invited) and have a celebration at home afterwards. Nice opportunity for cake.
Make sure you order the cute little napkins imprinted with baby's name. It's inexpensive and the kids love it later when they're grown up. I brought out some for my daughter's high school graduation party and she thought it was neat.
Don't let the family drama seep into this occasion. :)

I avoid family drama by making everything a private affair - only inviting those who are directly involved, etc. Our son’s baptism had just my wife and I, his godparents, and my folks and my best friend as witnesses. Simple and nice.

[quote="Lycorth, post:5, topic:205335"]
I avoid family drama by making everything a private affair - only inviting those who are directly involved, etc. Our son's baptism had just my wife and I, his godparents, and my folks and my best friend as witnesses. Simple and nice.

[/quote]

I think this is going to be our way as well.
I keep thinking about our wedding day. A lot of stress was caused by parents and their feelings and demands.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.