Who wrote the Book of Mormon?

Who wrote the Book of Mormon? When was it written?

I’ve flipped through some parts of it, and I find it disturbing to think that someone should invent the book and then pass it off as inspired by the Holy Spirit and written hundred of years earlier.

I’ve only read sections of it. It was boring…for a work of fiction, it doesn’t rival the poorest science fiction or fantasy…If Joseph Smith had a writer of Tolkien’s calibre to put together his mythology, it might at least have been interesting! But then, Mr. Tolkien was a faithful son of Holy Mother Church!

try this…catholic.com/library/problems_with_the_book_of_mormon.asp :thumbsup:

and this…catholiceducation.org/articles/apologetics/ap0112.html :thumbsup:

[quote=Madaglan]Who wrote the Book of Mormon? When was it written?

I’ve flipped through some parts of it, and I find it disturbing to think that someone should invent the book and then pass it off as inspired by the Holy Spirit and written hundred of years earlier.
[/quote]

The Book of Mormon was supposedly dictated to a couple of different men who then wrote down exactly what Joseph Smith “saw” as being written on the brass plates as seen through the “urim” and the “thummim”. (not sure the spelling of those is right)

I thought that a White Salamander had something to do with it…

Lisa N

I’ve heard that he copied several chapters directly from the KJV bible. It’s purely a figment of Joseph Smith’s imagination.

I agree with that! His whole movement started not too far away from where I live.

[quote=moira]I’ve heard that he copied several chapters directly from the KJV bible. It’s purely a figment of Joseph Smith’s imagination.
[/quote]

27,000 are from the AV, or so I have read.

I like the really early bits; like when the Jaredites travel in their eight submarines from the Ancient Near East of 2200 BC, to the Western coast of the future USA. They even have a compass. ##

[quote=moira]I’ve heard that he copied several chapters directly from the KJV bible. It’s purely a figment of Joseph Smith’s imagination.
[/quote]

I have heard that HUGE chunks of Isaiah are picked up and moved over. INCLUDING the italicized words, which the King James Translators inserted and italicized to show that they weren’t in the original manuscripts. However, I have yet to ever see anyone show which verses and where, and I haven’t done enough studying of either the BoM or Isaiah to have found them for myself. SO…if anyone knows where these are laid out, that would be a GREAT resource!!!

Wasn’t it supposedly delivered by the archangel Moroni to Joseph Smith on gold plates? Or was Smith just led to them by the angel?

[quote=Dr. Colossus]Wasn’t it supposedly delivered by the archangel Moroni to Joseph Smith on gold plates? Or was Smith just led to them by the angel?
[/quote]

Smith was led to them by the angel Moroni. They were supposedly placed in basically like a cement coffin and buried at the Hill Cumorah (sp?) which is located in New York.

[quote=Dr. Colossus]Wasn’t it supposedly delivered by the archangel Moroni to Joseph Smith on gold plates? Or was Smith just led to them by the angel?
[/quote]

Smith was led to them by Moroni the angel. He took the plates, along with the urim and thumim (which he used to translate the plates) and dictated what he saw to others who wrote down what Joseph said. There are witnesses listed in the front of the book who testify to seeing the plates.

[quote=ahimsaman72]Smith was led to them by Moroni the angel. He took the plates, along with the urim and thumim (which he used to translate the plates) and dictated what he saw to others who wrote down what Joseph said. There are witnesses listed in the front of the book who testify to seeing the plates.
[/quote]

Ah…Let’s make a distinction…If I remeber right, there are witnesses listed in the front who said they saw the plates with their “spiritual” eyes! NOT that they actually saw the plates! In fact, no one ever claimed to see the plates except for Joseph Smith. There was one person who claimed he was allowed to hold the plates, but they were wrapped in cloth when he was allowed to hold them. And, almost every one of the witnesses listed at the front of the BoM left the church.

[/quote]

What a great imagination!!! What 14 year old boy today could come up with such a book? The Book of Mormon is written by the prophets who lived on the American continent from 600 BC. The last prophet to write in the book was Moroni, who appeared to the boy, Joseph Smith, as an angel, at various times over a 4 year period to prepare him, before showing him the place where he(Moroni)had hidden the golden plates. In the stone box buried in the ground with the golden plates was a urim and thumim(the same as talked about in the bible used to translate languages) With that and the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, Joseph was able to translate, and as he translated, a person he had shown the plates to, who was a teacher, wrote down what he translated.
Because of the great persecution they were subjected to some of the persons who saw the plates later left the church, but to their dying day they never said they had not seen the plates and examined them. Joseph Smith was martyred along with his brother Hyrum, by an angry mob while they were held helpless in the Carthage jail. Joseph though subjected to tarring and feathering and many other horrible punishments of the time by people who did not allow freedom of religion, said he knew what he had seen and he knew God knew, and the punishment of men was nothing compared to the punishment of God if he denied it.

The story of how Joseph Smith “translated” either some or all of the golden plates is interesting. He hung a blanket over a rope. He sat on one side of the blanket, and his “secretary” sat on the other as Joe “dictated” from the golden plates and the “secretary” wrote down his words. If anyone other than Joe were ever to lay eyes upon the golden plates, God would strike them dead. So the blanket was necessary to save Joe’s “secretary” from sure and certain death, don’tchaknow.

I have two favorites from the Book of Mormon. One is a quote from Shakespeare’s Hamlet in 2 Nephi 1:14. The other is a French word, adieu, from the last verse in Jacob, chapter 7. A Hebrew supposedly knew French 544-421 B.C., but the French language didn’t begin to develop until around the 8th century A.D.:smiley:

JMJ Jay

[quote=tkdnick]Ah…Let’s make a distinction…If I remeber right, there are witnesses listed in the front who said they saw the plates with their “spiritual” eyes! NOT that they actually saw the plates! In fact, no one ever claimed to see the plates except for Joseph Smith. There was one person who claimed he was allowed to hold the plates, but they were wrapped in cloth when he was allowed to hold them. And, almost every one of the witnesses listed at the front of the BoM left the church.
[/quote]

I’m going to have to go back to my copy. My copy has the Book of Mormon, Pearl of Great Price, and the Doctrines and Covenants. I’ll see what I can find there. Not heard that one.

Yes, including Oliver Cowdery who was ordained into the priesthood along with Joseph.

[quote=BJ Colbert]In the stone box buried in the ground with the golden plates was a urim and thumim(the same as talked about in the bible used to translate languages)
[/quote]

I have a question about this. How did the LDS come to believe that the Urim and Thummim were translator stones? Everything I have ever been able to find about them indicates that they were used in casting lots, with the Urim used to indicate a positive outcome (a “yes” answer) and the Thummim used to indicate a negative outcome (a “no” answer). There is no indication that I have found that these jewels were at all used or capable of translating languages. From what I have been able to find, one would ask the priest who wore the stones to use them to communicate with God via Yes and No type questions.
Just curious, and I hope you can provide some insight into how the understanding of use of these jewels came to be changed in LDS belief.
Thanks, and have a great day.
Judy

[quote=BJ Colbert]What a great imagination!!! What 14 year old boy today could come up with such a book? The Book of Mormon is written by the prophets who lived on the American continent from 600 BC. The last prophet to write in the book was Moroni, who appeared to the boy, Joseph Smith, as an angel, at various times over a 4 year period to prepare him, before showing him the place where he(Moroni)had hidden the golden plates. In the stone box buried in the ground with the golden plates was a urim and thumim(the same as talked about in the bible used to translate languages) With that and the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, Joseph was able to translate, and as he translated, a person he had shown the plates to, who was a teacher, wrote down what he translated.
Because of the great persecution they were subjected to some of the persons who saw the plates later left the church, but to their dying day they never said they had not seen the plates and examined them. Joseph Smith was martyred along with his brother Hyrum, by an angry mob while they were held helpless in the Carthage jail. Joseph though subjected to tarring and feathering and many other horrible punishments of the time by people who did not allow freedom of religion, said he knew what he had seen and he knew God knew, and the punishment of men was nothing compared to the punishment of God if he denied it.
[/quote]

This is a great work for such a young boy indeed. True or not - it is a great work. I tend to believe the Book of Mormon to be accurate, though I doubt the Doctrines and Covenants to be true. The BofM is very convincing.

BJ - Haven’t seen a post from you in a while!

About Joseph Smith being a child and not being able to come up with all this stuff…Joseph Smith was born 12/23/1805. In 1820 is when JS asked God which church he should join. That makes him 14 at that time. But, it wasn’t until 1823 that JS claimed he was visited by Moroni…which now makes him 18. And the angel told him that he was not ready yet to retrieve the plates, which he was finally able retrieve in 1827 after several visits from Moroni. So…at the time JS began “translating” the BoM he was not 14, but 21! (That’s assuming he started before 12/23/1827)

Also, what 14 yr old do you know that couldn’t come up with a story? I work with lots of kids, and let me tell you they come up with some of the most intricate, well-explained stories I’ve ever heard. I have a friend who has a 10 yr old daughter who is writing a book! And I’m not talking about a little book either. Last time I read it, it was easily 30 pages and that was over 2 months ago and her mom said she works on it everyday after school. Wouldn’t surprise me if it was up over 60 pages by now. Obviously that’s no BoM in length nor in language, but that’s from someone who is 10.

I didn’t know either of those. Interesting!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.