Who wrote the Our Father?

Hi, i feel alittle silly at asking this question but who wrote down the words to the Lords Prayer? I may have learnt this as a child but i can’t remember! We are told the words are Christs, but, maybe as a second question, as the gospels were written around 60 years after Christ’s death and resurrection, how are we sure they are Christs own words?

The words are recorded by Matthew and Luke.

Hmm… well, first off, the Synoptic Gospels were written earlier than ~90A.D., according to contemporary scholars. So, it’s not as if they “were written around 60 years after Christ’s death.”

Secondly, we know that the apostles met regularly to pray (we see it in the book of Acts that the apostles were already gathering for prayer, at least as early as 40 days after Jesus’ resurrection!). If they were praying, are you saying that you think they wouldn’t use the words that Jesus gave them when they specifically asked Him, “Lord, tell us how to pray…!” :wink: So, it is reasonable to suggest that these words of Jesus were accurately remembered at that point, and were transmitted among Christians in a way that would keep the quotation intact…!

Finally, though, we as Christians believe that the Scriptures are divinely inspired. That means that God directs the content (that is, the meanings of the narratives) of the Bible, while allowing the human authors to craft the words. So, even if the words weren’t verbatim (and I’m not saying that they aren’t! ;)), then it wouldn’t mean that they were ‘wrong’ or ‘false’ – they would still be what the writer was divinely inspired to write!

Three of the Gospels were certainly not written 60 years after the Ressurection. Only the Gospel of John is possible to have been written about AD90 (and that is just a guess, it could have been written earlier).

Specifically, the Gospel of Luke was written in the AD60’s. We know this because the Book of Acts (which was written after Luke) ends immediately without any mention of the martyrdom of Peter or Paul in AD68, and no mention of the destruction of the Temple nor the destruction of Jerusalem in AD70. It ends with Paul imprisoned and never mentions what happened to him.

And the Gospels of Matthew and Mark were probably written before the Gospel of Luke. So all three of these Gospels were written within 30 years of Jesus’ Resurrection, and probably earlier. Maybe even into the 40’s or 50’s.

=simpleas;10731767]Hi, i feel alittle silly at asking this question but who wrote down the words to the Lords Prayer? I may have learnt this as a child but i can’t remember! We are told the words are Christs, but, maybe as a second question, as the gospels were written around 60 years after Christ’s death and resurrection, how are we sure they are Christs own words?

FAIR Question: here’s How:)

Mt. 10:1-8 "And [Jesus] having called his twelve disciples together,** he gave them power over unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of diseases, and all manner of infirmities. And the names of the twelve apostles are these: The first, Simon who is called Peter**, and Andrew his brother,James the son of Zebedee, and John his brother, Philip and Bartholomew, Thomas and Matthew the publican, and James the son of Alpheus, and Thaddeus, Simon the Cananean, and Judas Iscariot, who also betrayed him. These twelve Jesus sent: commanding them, saying: Go ye not into the way of the Gentiles, and into the city of the Samaritans enter ye not. But go ye rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. [7] And going, preach, saying: The kingdom of heaven is at hand.** Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse the lepers, cast out devils** [CHRIST CHANGED THIS IN … MT,28:16-20 & mK. 16:14-15 “TO THE ENTIRE WORLD.”

2ND. tIM. 3:16 “All scripture, inspired of God, is profitable to teach, to reprove, to correct, to instruct in justice” *[if this is untrue [impossible] the bible is worthless!]

Luke 4:4 "And Jesus answered him: It is written, that Man liveth not by bread alone, but by every word of God".

THE VERY FACT THAT THE ORIGINAL CC STILL EXIST SOME 2,000 YEARS LATER

Jn. 14: 16-17 " And I will ask the Father, and he shall give you another Paraclete,[THE HOLY SPIRIT] that he may abide with you for ever. The spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, nor knoweth him: but you shall know him; because he shall abide with you, and shall be in you"

Jn 14:26 "But the Paraclete, the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and bring all things to your mind, whatsoever I shall have said to you"

JESUS TO HIS APOSTLES ALONE!
Jn. 20:21-22 “He said therefore to them again: Peace be to you. As the Father hath sent me, I also send you/COLOR]. When he had said this, he breathed on them; and he said to them: Receive ye the Holy Ghost” **MEANS: With My [God’s Own Powers and Authority]:slight_smile:

Luke 11: 1-4 “LORD” Teach US to pray!"
And it came to pass, that as he was in a certain place praying, when he ceased, one of his disciples said to him: Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples. And he said to them: When you pray, say: Father, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Give us this day our daily bread. [4] And forgive us our sins, for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation":thumbsup:

I do hope this helps you my friend.

Pat/PJM**

FWIW, in Old English:

Fæder ure þu þe eart on heofonum si þin nama gehalgod tobecume þin rice gewurþe þin willa on eorðan swa swa on heofonum urne gedæghwamlican hlaf syle us to dæg and forgyf us ure gyltas swa swa we forgyfað urum gyltendum and ne gelæd þu us on costnunge ac alys us of yfele soþlice.

in Later English

Oure fadir þat art in heuenes halwid be þi name;
þi reume or kyngdom come to be.
Be þi wille don in herþe as it is doun in heuene.
yeue to us today oure eche dayes bred.
And foryeue to us oure dettis þat is oure synnys as we foryeuen to oure dettouris þat is to men þat han synned in us.
And lede us not into temptacion but delyuere us from euyl.

and in original Aramaic

The prayer as it occurs in Matthew 6:9–13

Our Father who art in heaven,
hallowed be your name.
Thy kingdom come,
thy will be done,
on earth, as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our debts,
as we also forgive our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil. Amen.

The prayer as it occurs in Luke 11:2–4

Father,
hallowed be your name.
Your kingdom come.
Give us each day our daily bread,
and forgive us our sins
for we ourselves forgive everyone who is indebted to us.
And lead us not into temptation.

Latin liturgical version

Pater noster, qui es in caelis:
sanctificetur Nomen Tuum;
adveniat Regnum Tuum;
fiat voluntas Tua,
sicut in caelo, et in terra.
Panem nostrum cotidianum da nobis hodie;
et dimitte nobis debita nostra,
sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris;
et ne nos inducas in tentationem;
sed libera nos a Malo. Amen

Awesome!:thumbsup:

Jesus gave us that prayer! It’s the only one he left us specifically in Scripture!

:thumbsup:

Also, here is the Our Father in Elvish (Quenya) translated by J.R.R. Tolkien himself:

Átarema i ëa han ëa, na aire esselya,
aranielya na tuluva, na care indómelya cemende tambe Erumande.
Ámen anta síra ilaurëa massamma,
ar ámen apsene úcaremmar sív’ emme apsenet tien i úcarer emmen.
Álame tulya úsahitenna mal áme etelehta ucullo.
Násie.

Audio: YouTube

And don’t forget, He didn’t say it just one time. Scripture specifically mentions two separate times that He taught this prayer. And many, many times in the Gospels it tells of times when He spent time with people, and taught them.

Many people think the Sermon on the Mount was a one-time event. He probably gave that specific teaching/speech dozens of times. Just as He probably taught the Our Father many, many times in His 3 years of preaching.

Thanks Everyone, great info :slight_smile:

:yup::love::signofcross:

I am so grateful for Jesus!!!

closed #14

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.