who wrote the quran

mohammed (pbuh) was illiterate , How can an illiterate person come up with such a rich, poetic, intellectual, and inspiring text that it rocked the entire Arabia?

Mohammad (pbuh) never went to school! No one taught him. He had no teacher of any kind in any subjects. How can he have the knowledge of all the science, astronomy, oceanography, etc that is contained in the Quran? (For example, the mention of ocean currents, stars, earth, moon, sun and their fixed paths in Soorah Rahman; and many other scientific statements that are found in Quran, )

When Quran was revealed, the Arabic language was at its peak in richness, poetic value, literature, etc. Quran came and challenged the best literature in Arabic, the best poetry in Arabic of the time. Mohammad (pbuh) being illiterate couldnt possibly have come up with something so immaculate that it even exceded the best of poetry, and literature in Arabic at the time of the language’s PEAK development. Arabic language had never been so rich in expression, poetic value, vocabulary, and variety in literature, as it was in the time of Quran. At a time like this, Quran came and exceeded the best of Arabic in all aspects of the language: poetry, literature, expression, etc. Any classical Arabic speaker would appreciate the unbeatten, unchallenged, and unmatched beauty of the language of Quran.

An illiterate man is simply not capable of writing such a book.

Mohammad (pbuh) had no reason to come up with something like Quran, and cause the entire society of Arabia to become his enemy. Why would he do something like that? Why would he write something going against almost all of the norms of the society, and lose his family, relatives, friends, and other loved ones, and not to mention all the wealth he lost

Quran was revealed over a period of 23 years! A very long time! Is it possible for someone to maintain the same exact style of Arabic speech , as demonstrated in Quran, for over 23 years?

Also, what the prophet Mohammad (saaw) used to say is recorded in what we call his hadeeth (sunnah). If we look at the Arabic style of the hadeeth, and compare it with the style of Quran, we can clearly see that they are clearly DIFFERENT, and DISTINGUISHABLE Arabic styles. The prophet (saaw) spoke in public. It does not make sense that a man has two UNIQUE, Distinguishable, and completely different styles of speech in public. Yet another reason why Mohammad (saaw) couldn’t possibly have written Quran.

There is a Chapter in the Holy Quran, named Sura Maryam “Chapter Mary” .
If Muhammed (pbuh) was the author of the Holy Quran, then he would not have failed to include in it with MARYAM, the mother of Jesus, his own mother - AMINA, his dear wife - KHADIJA, or his beloved daughter - FATIMA. But No! No! this can never be. The Quran is not his handiwork!

Islam is based on faith that is supported by a number of strong miracles such as knowing what events to take place ahead of time or coming up with supernatural deeds in front of people. The holy Quran has these signs and much more. First, The holy Quran predicted many events to take place ahead of the time of the revelation of that verse; for example, predicting the destruction of Persian empire at a time where the later had a monumental victory over Rome. If the prophet, as some people claim, has written the Quran, then he would have put his future in real jeopardy (50% chance) since neither satellite photos nor on-ground intelligence personnel were available to him at the revelation time. Further, numerous details about many natural phenomena were detailed in the Quran and, until recently, they were proven by experts to be amazingly accurate. For example of the physical development of the fetus inside the womb along with timing given by many verses matches exactly what leading authorities in Embryology are claiming to be recent discoveries. Moreover, verses that gives descriptions about the creation of the universe and the function of mountains in balancing earth and many other descriptions/explanations are available to be read and to be understood. If the prophet was the author, wouldn’t he be prone to make weak inferences similar to those who claim that earth is square and whoever says otherwise should be killed?

Prof. Moore has said: “**It has been a great pleasure for me to help clarify statements in the Qur’an about human development. It is clear to me that these statements must have come to Muhammed from God or Allah because almost all of this knowledge was not discovered until many centuries later. This proves to me that Mohammed must have been a messenger of God or Allah.” **

Prof. Marshal Johnson, Professor and Chairman of the Department of Anatomy and Director of the Daniel Baugh Institute, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia

**He says: “The Qur’an describes not only the development of external form but emphasizes also the internal stages – the stages inside the embryo of its creation and development, emphasizing major events recognized by contemporary science… If I were to transpose myself into that era, knowing what I know today and describing things, I could not describe the things that were described. I see no evidence to refute the concept that this individual Mohammed had to be developing this information from some place, so I see nothing in conflict with the concept that Divine Intervention was involved…” **

Even the Qu’ran itself shows that it did NOT begin life as a written document from the hand of Mohammad, rather as a series of verbal recitations. What is the first command of Gabriel (Jibreel) to Mohammad? 'Write!? Not at all. It was ‘Recite!’.

In other words it began as an oral text, that was obviously later written down by Mohammad’s literate followers. The same way Jesus didn’t write the Gospels Himself, but His teachings and doings were written down by His followers.

No huge mystery.

Also no huge mystery why his followers wouldn’t particularly care to write much about Mohammad’s numerous wives - just as Jesus’ followers didn’t write a huge amount about His mother Mary. In the early years of both faiths, they had to keep their message simple and their focus very much on the main character - Jesus in the one case, Mohammad in the other.

It’s hilarious when Muslims quote scientists to try to support their Qu’ran’s scientific knowledge. And it’s a good thing Catholic Christians don’t have this problem with the Bible - we know not to read the Scripture as a science textbook. :slight_smile:

which problem ?
do you consider the agreement of science with quran to be a problem with muslims ? how is that , i thought that it’s advantage not problem

Hello elwill,

For the Catholics, we do not read our Holy Bible as a science book because it was never meant to be a science book. The Holy Bible is a religious book and in it, God is more concern with human salvation. God does not need to tell us about science because He already gave mankind a mind to think. For example, we can find out on our own that the earth revolves around the sun. God does not need to teach us that our world revolves around the sun because He knows that eventually, we will be able to find that out on our own. What God is more concern about is us getting to know who He is and about our salvation.

Peace be with you,
Selene

You mean pseudoscience and Qu’ran. The book says that there is fire under the water and water under the fire (I forget the exact verse). This is not only not true - it has been scientifcally disproven - but is actually the science that people of Mohammed’s time believed. If you care to know what’s under the water, than check this article out: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structure_of_the_Earth

And Selene is correct. The Bible includes scientific knowledge that the writers had in their time, but this knowledge is never believed to be accurate - we know that it is wrong. In fact, the scientific knowledge actually helps to pinpoint at what time in history some of the books of the Bible were written. However, one must not mistake preconceived notions for the truth - for example, some believe the Jews during Jesus’ time regarded illness to be demonic possessions, but this is shown to be untrue when we read that Jesus cured illneses and drove out demons.

hello selene
actually we consider quran holy book either which just have indications to proof that it’s from God

Because he wanted what Satan promised him - virgins in the afterlife - wine to drink that he won’t get drunk on - his name to be remembered for all of history - ??? whatever else Satan promised him. Satan wanted to lead people away from salvation through Jesus Christ - that’s why he specifically denies the crucifixion. Personally I think Muhammad was just his patsy and who he was able to convince to do this for him.

I’m also just curious - what family and relatives did Muhammad lose?

In the Name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful.

(We swear by the Altor mountain (1) And decree inscribed (2) In scroll whichis unfolded (3) And Al-Baitul Ma’moor (Celestial structure resembling and directly above the Holy Ka’ba in heaven) (4) And heavens elevated (5) And seas sitting on bed of fire (6))

For centuries, Arabs and Muslims were mystified and could not comprehend how fire and water could co-exist.

Then came modern age geology and the discovery of faults in Earth’s crust; an intricate interconnected network of seemingly separate faults stretching for hundreds of kilometers and going 65-150 kilometers deep into earth. It being one major fault is plainly stated in another verse where God Almighty swears by the Earth and the Fault in its structure. Scientists have come to liken this fault to an intricate design welded around the sphere of a tennis ball.

The cracks allow molten lave to gush through so that there is constant collision between cool sea water. Too much heat for the water to quell and too much water, even for temperatures of over 1000 centigrade, to be turned into steam, this is a phenomenon astounding scientists till today.

In one experiment, Russian Geologist Anatol Sbagovich, Russian Geologist and Biologist Yuri Bagdanov and US scientist Rona Clint ventured 1750 kilometers off the coast of Miami and then boarded a sophisticated submarine and descended two miles below surface. The submarine rested on the end of a rock shelf and the submarine’s acrylic window was the only barrier between them and scorching hot water springing from cracks at the seabed at temperatures around 231 centigrade.

The team noticed cool surface water rushing down to about a mile deep before it heats up and springs up again taking along debris and some molten matter. Science proved that this is a phenomenon to be found in all seas and oceans, though it is more frequent in certain places.

It was also found that volcanoes are more numerous and more active under water and that volcanoes stretch the entire seabed. With insufficient oxygen at such great depths, the lava gushing through is black-hot with no direct combustion. This serves as a tray, if you will, which heats up by the heat of lava underneath and heats up sea water, the exact image rendered in the Quranic diction and Arabic adjective

Great is His glory!

And Selene is correct. The Bible includes scientific knowledge that the writers had in their time, but this knowledge is never believed to be accurate - we know that it is wrong. In fact, the scientific knowledge actually helps to pinpoint at what time in history some of the books of the Bible were written. However, one must not mistake preconceived notions for the truth - for example, some believe the Jews during Jesus’ time regarded illness to be demonic possessions, but this is shown to be untrue when we read that Jesus cured illneses and drove out demons.

so , you believe that bible contains the thought of the writers, not revelation from God ?

quran includes scientific knowledge which wasn’t known by the people in thier time , and muslims always believed that it’s correct :smiley:

Thanks for proving my point about Islam using pseudoscience! And of course you Muslims believe it’s science, it’s what your religious leaders tell you. Like Mohammed said, asking questions will cause you to leave the faith. He was so unintentionally sincere about Islam being a cult! But you won’t listen to me, you are brainwashed like the Mormons and the Jehovah Witnesses are. So all I can do for you is pray.

The Bible is the Revelation of God. God authored it but men wrote it. So of course men would include the science of their days in the Bible, which helps us to pinpoint at what times some of the books were written. That’s probably a reason why God allowed their scientifically knowledge in the Bible, but that’s just my speculation.

brainwashed by whom
sorry , may be it was my fault that i didn’t give you pure scientific evedence

sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/06/080625140649.htm

ScienceDaily (June 26, 2008) — A research team led by the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) has uncovered evidence of explosive volcanic eruptions deep beneath the ice-covered surface of the Arctic Ocean. Such violent eruptions of splintered, fragmented rock–known as pyroclastic deposits – were not thought possible at great ocean depths because of the intense weight and pressure of water and because of the composition of seafloor magma and rock.

:smiley:

The Bible is the Revelation of God. God authored it but men wrote it. So of course men would include the science of their days in the Bible, which helps us to pinpoint at what times some of the books were written. That’s probably a reason why God allowed their scientifically knowledge in the Bible, but that’s just my speculation.

yes , i know that men wrote it , and men may be mention truth and may be mention lies , thier words are limited to thier knowlege
but our quran is limited to unlimted knowledge of the creator :slight_smile:

Oh that old ploy :rolleyes: Yes, yes, I know this old scientific discovery is used to prove the verse. But you forget one thing: those undersea volcanos don’t erupt fire. They erupt hot air or gas. It is quite different. But I’ll leave you be on this topic.

yes , i know that men wrote it , and men may be mention truth and may be mention lies , thier words are limited to thier knowlege
but our quran is limited to unlimted knowledge of the creator :slight_smile:

The same goes for your Qu’ran. Men wrote it. Don’t think you can use double standards, mister.

It is seen that in the initial stages the verses were written in stones and animal skins. They were scattered across many places. One important fact is scholars say that a lot of its parts are erred, corrected. These were done by the followers of muhammed. The successor rulers of prophet created a lot of verses that were against non muslims. In quran we will see the word ‘kill’ many times against non muslims. This resulted in the problems and threat we human beings face now. Will you accept the life of people in saudi arabia in any way? Is it a man’s life? No. Never. The politicians in muslim nations use these rules for their survival. In the time of Muhammed also he made remarks against non muslims according to his convenience. Read the following quotes.

youtube.com/watch?v=WVH3vVVJag8

if satan wanted to lead people away from salvation of christ , why then he went to arab pagans , i think that pagans are allready away from salvation , so what was his point ?

I’m also just curious - what family and relatives did Muhammad lose?

i meant all of his tribe became his enemy including some members of his family as Aba Jah , and abo sofian

beside , long before there was any prospect of success for Islam and at the outset of a long and painful era of torture, suffering, and persecution of Muhammad and his followers, he received an interesting offer. An envoy of the pagan leaders, `Utbah, came to him saying, “If you want money, we will collect enough money for you so that you will be the richest one of us. If you want leadership, we will take you as our leader and never decide on any matter without your approval. If you want a kingdom, we will crown you king over us…”
Only one concession was required from Muhammad in return for that, to give up calling people to Islam and worshiping Allah alone without any partner. Wouldn’t this offer be tempting to one pursuing worldly benefit? Was Muhammad hesitant when the offer was made? Did he turn it down as a bargaining strategy leaving the door open for a better offer? He answered with some verses of the Qur’an: “In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful. Ha. Mim. A revelation from (Allah), the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful; a Book whereof the verses are explained in detail; a Qur’an in Arabic, for people who know, giving good news and warning, yet most of them turn away, so they do not listen." (Fussilat 41: 1-4) And he recited until verse 38.

On another occasion and in response to his uncle’s plea to stop calling people to Islam, Muhammad’s answer was as decisive and sincere: “I swear by the name of Allah, O Uncle, that if they place the sun in my right hand and the moon in my left hand in return for giving up this matter (calling people to Islam), I will never desist until either Allah makes it triumph or I perish defending it.”

i prefer to keep the topic about the revelation of islam (Quran) , if you have any clues that successor rulers of prophet created a lot of verses , so show it to me with some examples , i’m very excited to learn from you :smiley:

no they arn’t the same , mister
you said in post # 6
The Bible includes scientific knowledge that the writers had in their time, but this knowledge is never believed to be accurate - we know that it is wrong.

then you said
The Bible is the Revelation of God. God authored it but men wrote it.

i want clear answer , did God auther the scientific knowledge that you know that it’s worng or not
i’m not talking about hand writing , i actually means the data be written in the bible , is it by God inspiration or self thoughts of the writers ?

From careful observations on the spread of Islam and its history, many evaluations have been made. It is said that angel gabriel appeared to muhammed and gave the verses when he was in the cave for many years. But I heard many people saying that it is not angel gabriel, but satan or devil in the form of Angel Gabriel appeared to muhammed and gave the verses. The history and the events occurred throughout centuries clarify this. MAny of the Christian church leaders in the middle east also made the point that the power of devil spread throughout arabia from 6th century onwards denoting the spread of islam. The life of people in islamic nations and the behaviour of rulers in those nations clearly point to this. One ruler kills another and occupy the position. This is common in most Islamic nations. Take the case of Pakistan, Arabian nations; any islamic nation. this is the case.

God inspired and guided the men who wrote the Sacred Scriptures. Yes there are views of the writers present and this is as God wanted it. For one, we cannot fathom the thoughts of God, however, when ideas are presented from a human perspective then it gives context that we can understand. Also, if God had not wanted some human impact on sacred writings then He would have lowered His codex wholly formed from Heaven to earth. This did not happen for either the Bible or Quran. So if we are going to assume that either book has divine inspiration then we have to accept that God had a reason to put His words into the minds of mortals instead of just present us text Himself.

For the sake of argument, one could say that moving one region (Arabia) away from paganism in order destroy the Faith of North Africa, Egypt, Asia Minor, the Holy Land, Syria, and what is modern day Iraq would have been seen as very much worth it. This move also affect parts of Eastern Europe, and almost got Spain and southern France. Also in the case of many of these nations, their social progress began to slowly deteriorate after their conquest, and went from being the most advanced regions on the earth to some of the most destitute.

While I won’t attempt to speculate that all of this was plan of the Devil and I wouldn’t wish to insult you, I would have to say that I doubt he is displeased with the outcome.

i meant all of his tribe became his enemy including some members of his family as Aba Jah , and abo sofian

beside , long before there was any prospect of success for Islam and at the outset of a long and painful era of torture, suffering, and persecution of Muhammad and his followers, he received an interesting offer. An envoy of the pagan leaders, `Utbah, came to him saying, “If you want money, we will collect enough money for you so that you will be the richest one of us. If you want leadership, we will take you as our leader and never decide on any matter without your approval. If you want a kingdom, we will crown you king over us…”

This is something I’ve always had a problem with. I’ve always heard about how much suffering Mohammed endured in Mecca. Yet whenever I read specific historical notes of the period it always sounds more like everyone was trying to placate him, or just asking him to not disparage their traditions. Just an observation. Could be wrong.

Only one concession was required from Muhammad in return for that, to give up calling people to Islam and worshiping Allah alone without any partner. Wouldn’t this offer be tempting to one pursuing worldly benefit? Was Muhammad hesitant when the offer was made? Did he turn it down as a bargaining strategy leaving the door open for a better offer? He answered with some verses of the Qur’an: “In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful. Ha. Mim. A revelation from (Allah), the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful; a Book whereof the verses are explained in detail; a Qur’an in Arabic, for people who know, giving good news and warning, yet most of them turn away, so they do not listen." (Fussilat 41: 1-4) And he recited until verse 38.

On another occasion and in response to his uncle’s plea to stop calling people to Islam, Muhammad’s answer was as decisive and sincere: “I swear by the name of Allah, O Uncle, that if they place the sun in my right hand and the moon in my left hand in return for giving up this matter (calling people to Islam), I will never desist until either Allah makes it triumph or I perish defending it.”

Again for the sake of argument, why accept a conditional gift when you can have it all on your terms. Certainly for the average person such an offer would be tempting as it is highly generous and reasonable. But if one is by nature a conqueror then this sort of offer is insulting. Mohammed and the Caliphs that followed him were warlords. They wanted territory, and they wanted the glory that came with it. Its the same for any other major historical warlord. In almost every case there were peaceful alternatives, and ultimately no reason at all for their conquests yet they seemed driven. Its a totally alien mindset. But again this is speculation.

We’be through this before many times… don’t any of you read and research?

Narrated Yazid ibn Abdullah:

We were at Mirbad. A man with dishevelled hair and holding a piece of red skin in his hand came.

We said: You appear to be a bedouin. He said: Yes. We said: Give us this piece of skin in your hand. He then gave it to us and we read it. It contained the text: “From Muhammad, Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him), to Banu Zuhayr ibn Uqaysh. If you bear witness that there is no god but Allah, and that Muhammad is the Apostle of Allah, offer prayer, pay zakat, pay the fifth from the booty, and the portion of the Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) and his special portion (safi), you will be under by the protection of Allah and His Apostle.”

We then asked: Who wrote this document for you? He replied: THE APOSTLE OF ALLAH (peace_be_upon_him). (Sunan Abu Dawud, Book 19, Number 2993)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.