Whoever is ashamed of me

Hello,

In Scripture, as Jesus said that if we are ashamed of Him, He will be ashamed of us.
So, does anyone, when at some sort of religious activity, like praying, reading the Bible that you hide this by getting up from prayer or hide your bible when someone approaches you?

So, by Catholic moral theology this would be a sin? And in itself, is it a grave offence?

Have a marvelous monday

It would really depend upon the situation.

Church groups in the Soviet Union or in such historical settings as 1920s Mexico did operate in hiding, because their being killed would bear no positive fruit. We are not to seek out death.

But where that is not an issue, Faith is not something to hide.

ICXC NIKA

From the CCC:
** Charity
2093 Faith in God’s love encompasses the call and the obligation to respond with sincere love to divine charity. The first commandment enjoins us to love God above everything and all creatures for him and because of him.12
2094 One can sin against God’s love in various ways:

• indifference neglects or refuses to reflect on divine charity; it fails to consider its prevenient goodness and denies its power.
    -** ingratitude** fails or refuses to acknowledge divine charity and to return him love for love.
  • lukewarmness is hesitation or negligence in responding to divine love; it can imply refusal to give oneself over to the prompting of charity.
  • acedia or spiritual sloth goes so far as to refuse the joy that comes from God and to be repelled by divine goodness.
  • hatred of God comes from pride. It is contrary to love of God, whose goodness it denies, and whom it presumes to curse as the one who forbids sins and inflicts punishments.*

I think your example would fall under the bolded line.
I’m not sure if the following, from the CCC, would apply to your example, but, as far as grave matter goes; CCC:

The obligation of the Decalogue
2072 Since they express man’s fundamental duties towards God and towards his neighbor, the Ten Commandments reveal, in their primordial content, grave obligations. They are fundamentally immutable, and they oblige always and everywhere. No one can dispense from them. The Ten Commandments are engraved by God in the human heart.
2073 Obedience to the Commandments also implies obligations in matter which is, in itself, light. Thus abusive language is forbidden by the fifth commandment,
* but would be a grave offense only as a result of circumstances or the offender’s intention.***

I still struggle with this to a point. If I am not in a position to set my beliefs apart from the kinds of christians I find embarassing… I get embarrassed to be lumped in with them.

For one example mentioning my Catholicism someone said "Oh you’re one of those! So the world is like 6k yrs old and science is evil?"lol.

In that circumstance it was okay and a good moment to have a great chat.

But in passing I feel certain aspects of faith beyond the superficial stuff lapse and evem christian atheists do (like a cross necklace etc…) will make me look like those I think are looney. So I sometimes struggle between living the faith and tempering aspects to not be viewed as crazy :slight_smile:

I am also not scrupulous so I dont want people treating me as the religious guy… you know the ones they say “shhh change the topic he is coming” lol

Does anybody have a definitive answer?

From the CCC:

• Charity
    2093 Faith in God’s love encompasses the call and the obligation to respond with sincere love to divine charity. The first commandment enjoins us to love God above everything and all creatures for him and because of him.12
    2094 One can sin against God’s love in various ways:
  • indifference neglects or refuses to reflect on divine charity; it fails to consider its prevenient goodness and denies its power.
  • ingratitude fails or refuses to acknowledge divine charity and to return him love for love.
  • lukewarmness is hesitation or negligence in responding to divine love; it can imply refusal to give oneself over to the prompting of charity.
  • acedia or spiritual sloth goes so far as to refuse the joy that comes from God and to be repelled by divine goodness.
  • hatred of God comes from pride. It is contrary to love of God, whose goodness it denies, and whom it presumes to curse as the one who forbids sins and inflicts punishments.

I think your example would fall under the bolded line.
I’m not sure if the following, from the CCC, would apply to your example, but, as far as grave matter goes; CCC:

The obligation of the Decalogue
2072 Since they express man’s fundamental duties towards God and towards his neighbor, the Ten Commandments reveal, in their primordial content, grave obligations. They are fundamentally immutable, and they oblige always and everywhere. No one can dispense from them. The Ten Commandments are engraved by God in the human heart.
2073 Obedience to the Commandments also implies obligations in matter which is, in itself, light. Thus abusive language is forbidden by the fifth commandment, but would be a grave offense only as a result of circumstances or the offender’s intention.

This looks like it would answer it, but I don’t know if this actually applies to getting up from traditional prayer–like this::highprayer: (out of embarrassment) if approaches you out of nowhere

I do these things. I rarely pray in public. I do not want top draw that attention to myself. I will pray in a group in public or with one other person. I do not want to appear “holier-than-thou.” Jesus did also warn about people who pray publicly to be seen well by men. I think anything religious or penitential should be kept private. This is JUST my personal opinion.

Hi

I meant going into one’s room and shutting the door (like it says in Matthew 5-7) to pray, but someone enters your room without your consent, and you get up from prayer out of embarrassment, not praying in public to show off piety. I didn’t clarify my question before, sorry

Happy feast of Our Lady of Mt Carmel!!

Hard to say. I will pray with my family. I do not like people catching me reading the bible privately. It feels awkward. If you are deep in prayer you may not even notice. I do not like being caught praying either

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.