Whole Foods releases video countering gay slur claim

KXAN (Austin):

Whole Foods releases video countering gay slur claim

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Whole Foods has referred to a man’s claim that the store sold him a cake with an-anti gay slur as “fraudulent,” and filed a counter-suit against the man and his attorney, Tuesday.
The store claims their bakery employee wrote “Love Wins” on the cake and did not add the slur, “Love Wins F–“, at the bottom. Whole Foods released surveillance video of Jordan Brown buying the cake on April 14 at the company’s flagship store and headquarters on N. Lamar Boulevard. Brown is the pastor at the Church of Open Doors on E. Riverside Drive.

The full statement released by Whole Foods Tuesday:

[LIST]
*]Our bakery team member wrote “Love Wins” at the top of the cake, which was visible to Mr. Brown through the clear portion of the packaging. That’s exactly how the cake was packaged and sold at the store. Whole Foods Market has a strict policy that prohibits team members from accepting or designing bakery orders that include language or images that are offensive.
*]Mr. Brown admits that he was in sole possession and control of the cake until he posted his video, which showed the UPC label on the bottom and side of the box.
*]After reviewing our security footage of Mr. Brown, it’s clear that the UPC label was in fact on top of the cake box, not on the side of the package. This is evident as the cashier scans the UPC code on top of the box, which you can view here .
*]We stand behind our bakery team member, who is part of the LGBTQ community, and we appreciate the team members and shoppers who recognize that this claim is completely false and directly contradicts Whole Foods Market’s inclusive culture, which celebrates diversity.”
[/LIST]
Brown’s video after leaving Whole Foods

The store also released a photo of their bakery team:

I’m gladto see Whole Foods (or anyone) pushing back against false allegations.

Of all outlets to sue - Whole Foods! Based in Austin!

Not the smartest choice for this type of allegation.

(BTW - good to see you on the boards. Hope you’re doing OK).

Unfortunately, there are far too many lawsuits for this type of error, whether innocent or intentional. We need to go back to the Golden Rule. Do unto others and you would have them do unto you.

Did you read the story?

You are aware that there is overwhelming evidence that this so-called “hate crime” was a hoax .?

Sadly though, in the world we live in today, it doesnt matter if the word was on the cake or not, the implication that it was has led to negative press on it, no matter whether its true or not, many people have likely already judged Whole foods guilty.

Whole Foods recognize this, thats why they made sure to get this out there so quickly, but Id bet, in the main office, they realize they will probably be writing a check to someone to settle the matter, and/or to make the story go away.

It wasn’t an error. The “pastor” intentionally wrote the slur on the cake so he could bring the lawsuit against Whole Foods.

And as others have said, of all the stores to pick…Whole Foods!!! And in AUSTIN!!! No one was going to believe his claim, ever.

I doubt it. If there was ever an open and shut case this is it. And I predict Whole Foods burns this guy into the ground over it, if nothing else but to send it as a warning to future frauds who wish to sue it. If I’m WF, when they win, I would plaster it all over our media pages, press releases and marketing avenues to make sure the word got out to scare off potential frauds.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.