Wholesome television for children?

My girls are two years old, so there’s not much television watching going on, but when it does happen, I want for it to be positive.
There’s sesame street, which, after seeing for the first time since I was a kid, I have to say is very clever, and sweet, and really shows the children their numbers and letters!
Just the other day, my one daughter took the watermelon rind off of the counter and said 'C! Cookie! C!'
and I thought 'Oh my gosh, she knows that the letter C looks like!!'
Any other recommendations?
There’s alot of kids programming out there that’s not BAD, but I don’t think it’s necessarily GOOD either.
I also jsut saw a snippet of ‘Read between the Lions’ and I thought that was cute.

Most PBS and PBS Sprout are great! Also Noggin. PBS Sprout shows kids how to sign, and have alot of positive learning. They may not be religion oriented but they do show kids that being different is ok. everyone comes from different backgrounds. It helsp to show kids this things so when they go to school they won’t pick on others who are different.:slight_smile: One day, without your child watching, watch the difference between shows on PBS and Noggin to shows on other cartoons and see the difference.:thumbsup:

How about what’s on Food Network? :wink: It will teach them to like their veggies!

Okay, I don’t let my kids watch much television, but when I do, it’s usually Noggin. Pinky Dinky Doo (she tells stories to her little brother) and Jack’s Big Music Show (promotes music appreciation) are my preferred favorites. Especially the latter. :smiley:

Have you ever heard of the Donut Man? He makes entertaining, God-centered skits and sing-alongs for kids. They go wild for him. He was huge in evangelical circles for years, and he recently…drum roll… converted to the Catholic Church!
I think they play his show on EWTN kids during the day. You can order his stuff online too.

Veggie Tales!!

My 3 yr old daughter has not been exposed to much TV at all, only minimal amount outside the home. About 6 months ago I began showing her some library-lent videos and YouTube clips of the Veggie Tale series…
they are great with very clever writing and great moral teachings…

produced by a company Big Idea, with the slogan “Sunday Morning Values, Saturday Morning Fun” or something like that…their website is very informative with lots of good support for parents…

Alot of the shows are more likely geared towards a bit older children, but my youngin’ loves the ‘sillyness’ and extremely catchy song/musical numbers within all episodes…

NOGGIN rocks :slight_smile: Jack’s Big Music show is always good. We like Ruby and Max as well… every once and a while I find some good kids shows on EWTN during the day as well.

My older son, almost 7, likes iCarly on Nick and I have found SpongeBob to be pretty tame except for the stupidity so we have to limit Mr Squarepants from time to time.

My 2.5 year old likes the Imagination Movers on Disney as well, they seem to be the updated Wiggles (Wiggles haven’t been very good IMHO since the original yellow shirt guy left).

Elmo and SS are still his favorite though.

Mine are 6 (almost 7), 5, 2.5 and 7 months… we have 4 TVs around the house and still find it hard for everyone to agree on something (everyone wants their show in the HD in the den). They all like Sponge Bob but as I said I have to limit it a little. They really don’t watch that much TV as they all spend more time on the computer, especially on the weekend. (Yes, even the 2 and a half year old, I came home the other day to find one of my MMORPG accounts - we have more than one since my oldest plays with me, logged in. My 2 year old had camped out my older son’s character and logged in another and had actually “leveled” the character). These kids today…

Joe

I find I need to limit iCarly with my 8 and 5 year olds. They tend to mimic Sam’s snotty attitiutde. I find the Carly character to be annoying at times too.

This summer we have found a great cartoon for that age group…Phineas and Ferb. It is imaginative, not so much violence like spongebob. And the evil villain, Dr. Doofenshmirtz is the funniest cartoon character that I can remember. And there are a great deal of subtle jokes that us parents can get.

It’s on the Disney channel.

ohhh,wish they are helpful

The favorites in our house that are quite wholesome and show positive interactions between parental figures and children and between children who are peers are:

Jay Jay the Jet Plane (used to air on PBS now available at the library on DVD)

Little Bear on Noggin

On Saturday mornings before the EWTN cartoons come on, TBN (Trinity Broadcasting Network) has some really good kid shows that I sometimes watch with my toddler.

I like most of PBS, some of Noggin, and Nickelodeon only when it’s Dora or Diego. But for two year olds (DS is two and a half), try the library! For example, DS is totally into tractors right now, and I found some great videos of tractors at work on the farm set to music. He could watch it for hours if I let him, way more than anything on cable or PBS!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.