Whore of Babylon? Hans Urs von Balthasar

Did Hans Urs von Balthasar say that the Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon in Revelation or only at times when the Church drifts away through the wrath of sinners?

Reading this prompted me to ask this question under this thread.
wquercus.com/faith/casta_meretrix.htm

Anyone willing to take a shot at this?

The Church as the “whore of babylon” is both a tired and restricted subject on this forum. The whole concept does not dignify a response on this forum as it has been done to death.

Perhaps a link to previous references or threads on the subject to the OP would have been a kinder response. If it is a restricted subject I assume at some point a thread got out of hand and discussion had to be curtailed. I think most readers can certainly respect that given such an explaination. Maybe further clarification would be helpful.

The OP as evidenced by the date joining the forum has not been involved here as much as you have. What may be a worn out pair of shoes to you,might have great value to someone else. i assume they were were not aware of a previous history or restrictions.

I understand that this may be a “tired and restricted” topic, but this is not the usual topic of Protestant or Anti-Catholic bigotry claiming the Church is the Whore of Babylon in Revelation. It is actually from Hans Urs von Balthasar, who is a Catholic Theologian in the 20th Century, who states this differently, using historical Catholic sources. I was hoping to get a better understanding on his usage of the term.

A clever person can twist the writings of anyone they disagree with. I am ure that you would be able to demonstrate through a carefully selected series of quotes that Ronald Reagan was, in fact, a communist, just like the author of the blog you referenced did with von Balthasar… Such comments and clear distortions do not dignify further attention.

With tha tin mind, I will concede that in later life, von Balthasar seemed to support some rather odd ideas. But whether he became anti-Catholic or not important and is really between him and God.

I call your attention to this post.: forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=1095283&postcount=4

This is a forbidden subject.

Perhaps you’ll need to read Balthasar’s essay “Casta Meretrix” to get a feel for his views on this subject.

I dont think anyone is reading my first post on this thread. I think people are avoiding it because of the way I wrote the subject. What I am trying to say is that a Catholic “Conservative” Theologian is saying the Church at times, traditionally, is known as a harlot. So, I was asking more knowledgeable people on this forum to take a look at this and see what they think. In no way is this anti-Catholic.

Here is what von Balthasar said in his essay:
"When Luther dares to equate the Roman Church with the whore of Babylon, it strikes us as the height of blasphemy. But he was not the first to coin the phrase. Similar things can be found in Wycliffe and Hus, and their language was not a complete innovation but the violent simplification and coarsening of a very old theologoumenon. This in turn has its origins in the Old Testament, in the words of judgment spoken by God, the betrayed Husband, against the archwhore Jerusalem, and in the New Testament’s application of these texts, which are so fundamental to the old."God is the faithful husband, with Church members often being the unfaithful spouse. The image of the people of God as an unfaithful spouse is an image found in the Old Testament. Note than von Balthasar calls Luther, Wycliffe, and Hus’s use of the term “whore of Babylon” a violent simplification and coarsening of a very ancient theological idea about human unfaithfulness.

This thread has been reported to the moderators.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.