Whore of babylon/prophesy of daniel

coming across this phenomenon and am a bit confused. on the one hand, i know it’s kind of ridiculous, on the other, there are points that do seem to make sense and are quite compelling. such as the fornicaiton with the nations (popes and kings andother nationsleaders have made alliances), also there is debate as to which city it even is. and the fundamentalist attackers don’t always take it literally, they say sometimes that it’s a spiritual false religion and not an actual city and the mountains are symbolic of something. also the beast of daniel.

has anyone else struggled with this? if so, how did you overcome it? any good explanations would be helpful

i’ve already read the catholic answers track on it but it hasn’t really helped. i don’t mean to doubt, i’m just struggling lately

I have never given that accusation any serious thought. I hope you take the time to investigate the Catholic perspective on this.

defendingthebride.com/ch/whore2.html

youtube.com/watch?v=mYXAhQoBbzc

The points don’t make any sense at all, and are not compelling at all, unless you buy into the preconceived “facts” that the people making this claim plant in your head. If the beast, for example, really implies Rome, then there MIGHT be some sense to be made of the claims. But the marks/signs/verbage/descriptions in Scripture actually point more closely to Jerusalem than to Rome. What you have there is someone who has already decided that Rome MUST be the whore…and then they set out to make the pieces fit by hammering them into a puzzle that they don’t actually go to. The fact that even fundamentalists can’t agree with each other on the prophecy should send up a red flag to you that it’s another one of those issues that begs for an INFALLIBLE interpreter of Scripture to discern.

+1 on rfournier103’s post.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=868280

The above link is to a thread where the OP posted a video link to an hour-long (or longer) schpeel of garbage about the very same thing you are talking about. I took one for the team and actually watched it (well, not the whole thing…it got really ridiculous, really fast) and pointed out the fallacies in several of the ridiculous claims.

As with all propaganda one has to accept the premise that the speaker is a reliable and trustworthy source. Yet when one actually looks carefully into the scriptures they cite and their context, you soon discover that they are doing some pretty serious mental gymnastics http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/corona_stellarum/Smilies/flip_emoticon_jfo.gif to arrive at the connections that they seek to make. Often these same individuals or groups have predicted the day and time of Christ’s return in clear contravention of the scriptures which further indicts their believability.

So often these types have made a wild run with a very small nugget of truth in order to advance their anti-Catholic agenda that what seems so damning is really a case of very bad fiction.

Notice also that they generally do not cite sources whereby one can verify their statements about the Catholic Church, or if they do, a simple research into that source will prove that the citation is out of context and offered in a specious way.

I’ve looked at a lot of these kinds of sites and this has been by experience in every case.

You avoid this by listening to the Church. Period.

As a former fundamentalist, let me tell you. It is complete nonsense. It is reading into the text something that you want to be there. It makes no sense historically or analytically. It is something that first popped up less than 200 years ago.

Please avoid such arguments with fundamentalist…they are fruitless. Trust the church and the authority that it has. There are at least 1500 years of commentary and discussion on what it really means before the idea even came about.

as a fundamentalist, did you believe it? if so, how did you overcome it?

I can answer. I believed it. I overcame this belief by educating myself. Reading the Bible, studying history… these things relieved me of all of that nonsense.

many times in the Old Testament Jerusalem is called a whore and a prostitute, this is what it is talking about, the way that the people of the city acting; prostituting themselves with evil.

This is my story too. :thumbsup:

Welcome home brother. :slight_smile:

are you able to give me some examples of things that convinced you please? bot of you if possible

if you could provide some specific exaples of things that helped you, that would be greatly appreciated.

For one, for at least 1600 years, and more like 1800 years. You cannot find one Christian word written about such things.

To be deep in history is to be completely disabused of end time/whore of Babylon prophecies.

I would suggest you start your studies with this talk: instituteofcatholicculture.org/the-fall-of-jerusalem-there-will-not-be-left-here-one-stone-upon-another-that-will-not-be-thrown-down/

It very clearly addresses some of the prophesy of Daniel and the Whore of Babylon claim (if I recall correctly). After that I’d suggest listening to their other historical lectures if you genuinely want to learn about Christian history and these claims.

I have thought about this alot in the past too, I have looked over hundreds of related bible verses that give hints about what the whore is and whom it is…I truly believe the US is modern day Babylon.

Billy Graham once said, ‘if God does not destroy the US, he will have to apologize to Sodom and Gomorrah’. LOL Take a look at ‘normal’ life in the US and it does not take a rocket scientist to see what he is talking about!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.