Whore Of Babylon

No, we’re Moravians

I’m starting to believe its Obama

This may help us all a bit since, I for one, had no idea what Moravian beliefs are.

What Moravians Believe and The Moravian Covenant for Christian Living

This also helps put a perspective on where the sect comes from.

A Brief History of the Moravian Church

That also may help us understand where the grandmother’s attitude comes from.

Here’s a very quick and brief explanation of how the Moravian denomination came about…Jan Hus was a Roman Catholic Priest and was against some of the teachings of the church so he left and started the “Unity of the Brethren” though the denomination is widely known as “Moravian”. He was later burned at the stake.

Then I’m out of my league for sure. Sorry, I don’t even know what a “Moravian” is…:shrug:

They originate in what is now the Czech republic. Jon Huss wanted to return to some Byzantine style practices in the Church and many of his points were actually probably worthy of some consideration, unfortunately it been a rather different age in the long run a rather nasty set of wars called the Hussite wars was one of the upshots of the whole business. These wars been characterised by rather vile behaviour and convoluted political alliances at various points. For example the Poles at one point supported the Hussites and at other points fought against them.

If I am learning–or becoming more aware, maybe–of one thing in even the short time that I’ve been involved in this forum, it’s the number of different schisms that man has managed to create during the years since Jesus died and Resurrected. Today after Mass we had a rosary celebration in honor of Fatima and the pope’s dedication of the world to Mary so I was looking for something to meditate on while I suffered (ahem!) through my husband’s non-stop football Sunday. Anyway, I began to contemplate this fact a little: What would make me take off in a direction in my faith that the church told me was wrong and a heresy. There have been so many people that have after all–from the 1st century to this Huss guy to Martin Luther and even Ellen White and I’m sure today there’s someone out there doing the same thing too. I understand why a person might believe in almost any faith that they were raised in–there is something pretty powerful about the religion you learn at your mother’s knee more or less. Some people–like myself–do question it for awhile at least when they become young adults and may even change faiths but a majority don’t even do that–we come home, sadder but wiser. So I can kinda give them a mental pass if you know what I mean. But let’s pick on Martin Luther for the moment–only because I hope not to offend anyone on this thread. What do you suppose happens within a man to look the very pope and the Catholic church as a whole in the eye and say basically “Go to h*ll, I’m going to do it my way–and I really don’t care if you excommunicate me from the church–nor do I care if I’m responsible for taking thousands of other souls right along with me and away from the faith as well!” I considered pride and several other things–but the bottom line is that I still can’t quite wrap my mind around it. It would scare me to death–just the responsibility of knowing that I was leading others, not just me–and that I better be 100% right or else we were all walking down a steep path toward an even steeper cliff. I never did come up with a really acceptable answer.:shrug:

Hi,

Here are some notes from a study on the Book of Revelation by Scott Hahn, Ph.D.

** Whore of Babylon and the Book of Revelation ** **
A Biblical study of what the Book of Revelation teaches about the Whore of Babylon.**

I found his arguments EXTREMELY persuasive . His study is based on what the Bible teaches without bringing non biblical arguments and sources and imposing them on what the text says.

The Whore of Babylon is not Rome, but apostate Jerusalem.
John

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.