Whore of Babylon

I’ve heard it said She is the Catholic Church, which, of course, I find dreadful. I know it’s one of those riddles of Revelation, but I’ve never understood it. What is the most popular belief that this “whore” refers to? I’ve just thought about it lately and wondered.

That’s pretty easy: Rome the city, the Roman Empire.

Besides pagan Rome, some think the woman represents apostate Jerusalem, destroyed by the Romans in 70 A.D.

It’s pretty messed up…not to mention simply wrong scripturally.

Here’s links to CA’s articles that deal with it.

[LIST]
*]Hunting the Whore of Babylon
*]The Whore of Babylon
*]Open Forum on this topic
*]Paganism, Prophecies, and Propaganda
*]False Profit: Money, Prejudice, and Bad Theology in Tim LaHaye’s Left Behind Series
[/LIST]

Aside from the CA links to the articles mentioned above, I suggest you watch the BBC Documentary on Revelation on youtube. It discusses how the early church understands the book of the Apocalypse.

Link please.

I forgot to include a couple of other CA resources that also are very good and can help with this.
shop.catholic.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/135x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/e/beggining-apologetics-8.jpg
Beginning Apologetics 8: What Catholics Believe about the Second Coming, the Rapture, Heaven, Hell, Purgatory, and Indulgences

shop.catholic.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/135x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/w/h/what-jesus-really-said-about.jpg
What Jesus Really Said About the End of the World

Not saying it has anything to do with the CC; but doesn’t Revelation also point to future events? Was Revelation simply a book written after the Temple was destroyed, about Rome during that time?

Time to invest in the sources above there dronald. :slight_smile:

It’s not a riddle. Anyone who studies scripture can easily understand it.

Patrick is 100% correct. It is the Roman Empire and the city of Rome.

The entire reason for the Book of Revelation was that Christians were being forced to worship the roman emperors. It’s all very easy to understand.

-Tim-

Are you then saying that everything written within Revelation has already happened?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.