Whore of Babylon

We all know that the whore of babylon in the bible is pagan rome, but this particular book is supposed to shed light on the end of the world. The western roman empire fell four hundred plus years after Christ died but the eastern Roman empire actually fell some time in the mid to late1400s. At the time It was Catholic.

The roman empire has fallen, I assume that the Roman empire was one of the beasts they talk about in revalation. So does this also mean the beast was slayed by christianity, if so the bible talks about the beast coming back. Does this mean that the roman empire will come back and be headed by a resurected Nero. I say this because Nero was supposed to symbolize the Anti-Christ.

Personally, I would say that the whore of Babylon was Israel. In the OT, there are many references to Israel being the whore for turning away from God. Israel is also called Babylon. (Babylon was also a code word for Rome, but that is not how it is used here.)
Another point to keep in mind is that most of Revelation has already been fulfilled. Daniel and much of Revelation, are talking about the destruction of the Temple in 70 AD. There is no gap in Daniel’s timeline to support the idea that these prophecies are still future to us. I believe there is some foreshadowing of Christ’s Second Coming, but that is not what the passages are really addressing.

David Currie has written two books on this very topic. I highly recommend them. He draws from the ECF’s to show how these passages were understood by them. It was very enlightening to me when I first read them. The passages make so much more sense now. The best part is that it shows that Jesus didn’t lie when He said “this” generation would see the signs he was talking about in the Olivet Discourse.

‘The Whore of Babylon’ could be multiple places, but primarily, Dr Hahn and many others agree that it is probably referring to Jerusalem. The 1st century Jews of course had a very tenuous relationship with foreign pagan societies, and long had a dispensation status within the Roman Empire, but the #1 enemy in Hebrew sacred & mystical texts was on internal corruption of religion and of state and of house and of individual, not of alien societies. The greatest enemy is always the enemy within, never from without. The concern towards alien influence corrupting orthodoxy and righteousness was very real, but also secondary.

I can’t resist–YOU misspelled Babylon. Look it up.:wink:

OK. Two spellings. So he did not spell it wrong. Most common is Babylon though.

Also:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babylon

I’m sure Tsuzuki knew what Babylon the OP meant, but no, he had to dredge up something from the mind of Crowley.
Ridiculous.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.