Who's "fault" was it? Eve's or the serpent?

The reason why I’m asking this is because if the serpent didn’t ask such a question to Eve about eating the fruit of the tree, then Eve wouldn’t have been tempted!

BUT Eve could’ve not listened to the serpent no matter how tempting it was.

But we have free will so the serpent must’ve thought the way it would ask the question (“did God really say that?..”) would really get Eve to “fall”.

See where I’m at? Again, was it Eve’s fault for giving in to the temptation or was it the serpent’s fault for asking such a question that would be too tempting?

What do you think?

[quote=Paris Blues]The reason why I’m asking this is because if the serpent didn’t ask such a question to Eve about eating the fruit of the tree, then Eve wouldn’t have been tempted!

BUT Eve could’ve not listened to the serpent no matter how tempting it was.

But we have free will so the serpent must’ve thought the way it would ask the question (“did God really say that?..”) would really get Eve to “fall”.

See where I’m at?

What do you think?
[/quote]

You are solely responsible for your actions, temptation or not.

I think that they were both at fault, and this is proven later when we read that God punished both of them. You did not mention Adam, but he also went along with it and was punished. In fact, even though Eve ate first, we refer to Original Sin as the sin of Adam.

If it is our fault for choosing to do evil, then it is our merit for choosing to do good. Let us honor the saints with more reverence for their having chosen to honor God and follow His law of justice and mercy.

hurst

[quote=hurst]I think that they were both at fault, and this is proven later when we read that God punished both of them. You did not mention Adam, but he also went along with it and was punished. t
[/quote]

Okay, well, why didn’t Adam step in and tell Eve, “Don’t even think about it! Don’t you dare eat that!” Why didn’t he?!??

[quote=Paris Blues]Okay, well, why didn’t Adam step in and tell Eve, “Don’t even think about it! Don’t you dare eat that!” Why didn’t he?!??
[/quote]

All that doesn’t matter. God gave them the information they needed beforehand. Then temptations were presented. Each had to choose, and are responsible.

The Fall was Adam’s fault – he was not deceived by Satan, and he knew he should not have listened to Eve who was Satanically deceived. … Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived …
1Tim 2:14

And to Adam [God] said, "Because you have listened to the voice of your wife, and have eaten of the tree of which I commanded you, `You shall not eat of it,’ cursed is the ground because of you
Gen 3:17

[quote=Paris Blues]Okay, well, why didn’t Adam step in and tell Eve, “Don’t even think about it! Don’t you dare eat that!” Why didn’t he?!??
[/quote]

Because he was a politically correct sensitive male that was married to a pro-choice wife. :wink:

[quote=Matt16_18]Because he was a politically correct sensitive male that was married to a pro-choice wife. :wink:
[/quote]

:rotfl: :rotfl:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.